1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South Wales Metro System - ambitious plans detailed

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, Feb 18, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's some mighty ambitious ideas in here, but still no plans to link up the Coryton line to turn it into an inner city circle line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suggested light rail link to the Bay.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/south-wales-metro-system-first-6718872

2. Tankus

Tankus random farter

Those green routes are already bus routes aren't they ?

The Rhoose bus link to Cardiff central is a joke , I've never seen more than 3people on it ,and it costs 0ver £400 k pa to run ...Its got leather seats though ...nice !!!!
    The geezers driving the mini bus link between Rhoose and Rhoose international station (lol) get through a lot of newspapers...!

What is needed is a dual carriageway to Culverhouse and a train spur directly into the airport .....If fracking does take off in Dyffryn and Bonvilston , the 50 lorry's per day per well per frack ,are going to be mental....

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Poor old Monmouth. Still one of the very few (only?) county towns without a railway line.

4. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Very ambitious - still we will have an outing I hope for the 1st few electric trains to the Valleys in , or around 2018. Will buy the first round ...:thumbs:

Greebo, editor, Plumdaff and 2 others like this.
  5. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Dorchester's another one ...

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You sure about that?!

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  7. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

editor : Not very sure any more no :oops:

marty21, el-ahrairah and editor like this.
  8. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

does it connect to the croydon tramlink?

marty21 and Spanky Longhorn like this.
  9. Tankus

Tankus random farter

Tardis in the first class toilet , take a shit and be elsewhere else when at the same time when you hit the flush ...

Never do it in stations.

shygirl likes this.
  10. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26671806
    £12 million scheme to improve access at 5 stations in Wales

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Caerphilly certainly needs a few bob spent on it. British Rai/Network Rail/whoeverthefuck has destroyed so many attractive stations in the Valleys and replaced them with hideous bus shelters.

12. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

No one now could defend the destruction of so many "heritage" buildings in the 1960's and 1970's - but times were dire , and cost cutting unfortunately was endemic. People do not realise how close the Valleys network came to almost total annihilation by the late 1970's - even the "flagship" Treherbet line nearly succumbed to a road scheme north of Pontypridd. Thank goodness John Davies turned up as Regional Manager and started the turn around. In the Railtrack era , the so - called "vandal resistant" shelters were tried out on the Valleys group - with predicatable results. The local "yoof" regarded them as a challenge .......

13. 8ball

8ball ...I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

What you need is a monorail.

prunus, Spanky Longhorn and Belushi like this.
  14. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Pontypridd station improvements
    animated video, complete with piano

davesgcr likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's a mighty swishy animation.
    Those trackless platforms bother me though.

Nice user comment:

shambler, muscovyduck and ddraig like this.
  16. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

:D
    didn't spot that

17. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The non stop trains are an innovative Quakers Yard to Dingle Road 15 min frequency express service , non stopping Ponty and Cardiff , in line with customer feedback ......

18. Tankus

Tankus random farter

good news for the 5 people that use it
    Behold ....an airport that sits in almost splendid isolation from direct urban transport links
    [​IMG]

now theres tidy for you

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How the hell did Concorde ever take off from there!

20. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Cardiff is a bloody nightmare to get to on public transport.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Eh? There's trains galore to Cardiff! Or do you mean the airport?

22. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yup, i've mostly given up on it since they changed the routes

23. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Sorry, I meant the airport. It was so bad last time I don't think I'd do it again. Shocking in fact.

24. Tankus

Tankus random farter

2 an hour from Cardiff central to Rhoose village then catch a bus to take you around the other side of the airport where the entrance is .... Forget it after 10pm

25. 2hats

2hats ☢️

Virtually unladen, much like the current BA fleet that pop in and out of there for maintenance? All the passengers and that crap you take on your hols adds up (eg a 747-4xx on delivery/repositioning, almost empty, from Heathrow can fly non-stop to Sydney).

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They need to get a proper rail service to that airport, innit?

27. 2hats

2hats ☢️

Makes me think of Rome-Ciampino where it never appears to have occurred to anyone to extend the Metro A line just another 5km to the airport (and the local train line stops on the wrong side of the airport).

28. Tankus

Tankus random farter

and road .......spur to the M4 ..... dual carriageway ...the j33 /A4232 is often a mess at peak .....and with the 10,000 odd new houses going in on 'diffs west side , soon even more so ...

29. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

You mean virtually unladen apart from a full compliment of crew and passengers!

30. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Queen st station progressing
    pic i took from the road yesterday

Attached Files: