South Norwood news and chat

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Manuka, May 8, 2014.

1. se25 resident

se25 resident New Member

Former Emerton's DIY shop to be occupied by Mamma Dough, an independent pizzeria / restaurant, following submission of a planning application.

Mamma Dough

Craft Beer Shop and Taproom to open on Selhurst Road - broadly opposite the Costa Coffee.

2. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

We are now recruiting for the Woodcraft Folk "Pioneer" group - for children from 9 to 11 years old - having successfully set up local groups for "Elfins" (5-9) and Woodchips (under 5).

There is a waiting list for the Elfins and Woodchips, because we are full, but there are still spaces for the Pioneers, seeing as how we have not met yet. We will be starting in September, 4:45pm at the Waterside Centre next to South Norwood Lake. Here is the Facebook post one of the leaders put up on Facebook today, in case any of you have children of the appropriate age, and are local enough to get to us:

"Message for parents of new Y5/6/7s, looking for term-time out-of-school clubs, next school year.

The local Woodcraft Folk group at South Norwood Lakes is expanding and starting a brand new Pioneer group for 9-11 year old starters in September. They have 5 more slots to fill for new starters, to form this new group.

If you’ve missed out, been stuck in waiting list limbo for other local clubs, or looking for a move up from an activity with a younger age-profile, this could be perfect for your child/ren.

What is it?
    A mixed, inclusive youth activity group with a nationwide membership. Emphasis on enjoying games, outdoor activities and nature together, and gaining team-based, confidence-building skills, with some residential / camping opportunities.

Who can join?
    You can join as a Woodcraft Folk Pioneer if you are 9, 10 or 11 years old (and stay on until 13th birthday). Inclusive, mixed gender group.

Where?
    South Norwood Lakes, Waterside Centre.

When?
    Provisional meeting time: 4:45pm to 6:15pm, Monday evenings.

What next?
    Contact Ro Marsh via snwoodcraftfolk@gmail.com for more info, or to request a place on list of September starters.

Please do share with others who may be interested in joining.

Woodcraft Folk"

Poi E likes this.
  3. TruXta

TruXta tired

Is there a new pub opened just down the hill from the Stanley Halls? Walked past yesterday and it kinda looked like someone had converted an old Victorian residence into a pub. Looked well posh for the area.

4. Callie

Callie Pivoting

The Portland arms??

5. TruXta

TruXta tired

Technically correct that it's down the road, but I mean literally next door :D

6. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I was confused as I don't think it's that posh either :oops:

Guineveretoo likes this.
  7. Guineveretoo

You don’t mean the conservative association social do you? That’s next door to Stanley halls and is being rebranded to try and attract people. Although it’s still affiliated to the Tory Party, I believe.

8. Guineveretoo

On the other side of Stanley halls is the school. Which used to be part of Stanley halls actually, so perhaps you mean next to there?

I’m intrigued. :)

9. TruXta

TruXta tired

I'll have to go back and double-check now, but it's definitely between the Halls and the junction where you go down Portland Rd. Same side of the road as the Halls.

10. Guineveretoo

There is a pub on the corner which used to be a big CPFU supporting pub and which is now being refurbished, but that was obviously a pub and is not that close to Stanley Halls....

I just drove near there, but forgot to look.

11. TruXta

TruXta tired

Yeah not that one, a few houses further up. I'm almost tempted to go down again now just to figure this out! I did have a look for a name or a sign but couldn't see anything, which was a bit odd. First thought it was just a house-party or something, but they had a proper bar with taps and all.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  12. Guineveretoo

It might well be the constitutional club (aka Toryland). It is an odd building which kind of blends in or something - I didn't notice it for years, even though it was next door to Stanley Halls.

The fact that you are not saying that it is not that, makes me think that you might not have noticed it before, either, so it might be that. If that makes sense...

Go and have a look and report back :)

13. TruXta

TruXta tired

That may well be it. Will have to have a closer look.

14. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

Man charged with murder of 'loving grandmother' (click for more)

15. Guineveretoo

I just drove that way, and you can only mean the Constitutional Club - SNCC - South Norwood Club London - it has been painted grey and the sign taken down, so that no-one knows it is a Tory place :D :D

In fact, the website doesn't mention the Tory Party at all! You have to download the membership form before it becomes evident. http://www.southnorwoodcc.org/images/club_application_form.pdf

Stay away from it unless you want to support the Bastard Tories.

16. TruXta

TruXta tired

Must be it. Ta.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Local news: