1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South Norwood is the place to be...

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Manuka, May 8, 2014.

1. Manuka

Manuka Active Member

2. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Ha, the Evening Standard said the same thing in 2008. Never quite happened.

3. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

They've got a hell of a local football club!

alsoknownas and ChrisFilter like this.
  4. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Where in London isn't a 'property hotspot'?:confused:

5. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

didn't have the overground in 2008 though...

6. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

It was only a year away and was mentioned in the ES article.

Decent housing stock and great transport. I hope it does well. It was great for us for five years.

7. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

where did you live? I am considering being part of the incoming gentrifyers to south norwood soon

8. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Innit, the Standard has a different one every week.

boohoo likes this.
  9. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Crowther Rd. In the 'less desirable' south of the station bit. North of the station is pretty lovely, on the whole.

10. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

.....what stops the south being less desirable? I have had a bit of a wander round there btw
    what are the more desirable areas?

11. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Housing stock. Fewer trees on the residential streets. Portland Rd is considered a bit rough and ready, but I walked up and down it at all hours, as did my Mrs.

In all honesty it's probably because it's quite a black area. Scares whitey.

We really enjoyed living there and had great neighbours. A real community with lots of leaving cards when we left.

sim667 and Manuka like this.
  12. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Good bits are round the lake, the roads of South Norwood Hill towards the football ground.

Manuka and Miss-Shelf like this.
  13. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I think S. Norwood is alright, there are definitely some nice houses there, it's well connected - S. Norwood sports centre is ok.. but that review is shocking... When the train station coffee shop is highlighted as a reason to move there - that's not encouraging. Plus I'd have a few things to add about the schools that would be slightly less encouraging.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  14. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

I'm really glad schools are not something I have to take into account any more(as I worked my life around her and my school for 15 years)
    Girl finished uni today :cool:

gaijingirl likes this.
  15. Manuka

Manuka Active Member

Re desirable bits... to add to what Chris said, the roads leading off the lower end of Portland Road (towards Woodside and near the Country Park) such as Sandown Road, Oakley… are nice.
    The article failed to mention that you can be in London Bridge within 12 minutes and that it has a tram service.

16. _pH_

_pH_ .

Mr Filter lived just up the road from me.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  17. shar

shar Well-Known Member

Never posted before but I've just moved to S Norwood. It's not the north end, which I think is more desirable because it's close to Crystal Palace and has a suburban feel to it. It is also more expensive than the south because of this too.

The article isn't really that positive, I think it refers to the north so totally ignoring the Country Park end, which is a real gem (although needs a bit of love and lottery money) with a duck lake, meadows and pretty decent play park.

The cafe refered to in the article isn't the train station one, which is a kiosk on the platform, it is the very popular Yeha Noha. I'm unsure why this hasn't been capitalised on and more opened but you never know, maybe this will happen soon. Stanley Halls has reopened, that could be a great arts cafe and a lovely bar in the evening (we could really do with one). The Blue Jay cafe on Portland Road is very nice too.

The area definitely needs more positivity and more action. There are many parts of SE London that were once considered dreadful and are now desirable. Let's give S Norwood a chance.

Be interested to know more about schools though, gaijingirl?

18. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Funnily enough, after 35 years living in South London, I went down to South Norwood for the first time on Friday. It seemed a bit threadbare but not grubby. I didn't mind it.

I had to find Crown Point and then it was a straight run down Beulah Hill.

Now my fear has gone, I would go again...;)

19. Manuka

Manuka Active Member

Shar, I understand your view... I think those that live in SE25 will know which cafe they're talking about Yeha Noha http://yehanohacafe.com/. It's definitely not the train station cafe

This article seems to be a little better http://www.moove2london.co.uk/tag/londons-new-hotspots-villages/ It just says what most SE25 residents know...

But Shar as you said more action and positivity is needed, especially if the Council don't give SE25 any attention,

20. _pH_

_pH_ .

Aren't they referring to Cafe Basmaccino in the station? (That's not the one that's just opened on the platform, it's been there for years)

21. Manuka

Manuka Active Member

22. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

23. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

24. ska invita

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

26. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

i prefer thornton heath (just down the road). cheaper, for a start. and if you are not near the station at south norwood, that 13 mins to london bridge needs to be extended as if you're at the bottom of portland road, it's a long old slog.

portland road will never, ever be redeveloped, imo. it's write off imo and might as well be turned into cheap flats (i am being serious). the high street up at norwood junction aint to bad.

thornton heath is more condensed. it has a good restaurant, leisure center, a big tesco, pet shop, very multicultural, very family orientated, good transport up to london, superdrug, subway, poundland. you have to be very wise with choosing a road in fort neef though. get it wrong and it's really wrong!

both areas are cheap though for a reason. i do think the only way is up for both areas though.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  27. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

The Tesco is Thornton Heath is the single most depressing place on earth. I find Thornton Heath really moody, whereas South Norwood is fairly amiable. The top end of Portland Rd can seem a little forbidding but I never had a sniff of bother walking down there late at night for the five years I lived there.

hash tag and Guineveretoo like this.
  28. passenger

passenger up and down...

Nothing wrong with South norwood i lived there
    most of my life, it does have that stuck in the 70`s
    fell a bit , but i like it, some really nice people live round there
    the Jolly saylor in its day was great and the goathouse but thats
    gone so hopefully they have some good pubs

29. ska invita

south norwood

30. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

why is that then? no different to all the other big stores around...