South London Book Group

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Agent Sparrow, Jan 31, 2015.

1. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Well, I can only inform that there were queues around the block at their London flagship store for this 'special edition' issue.

eme likes this.
  2. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

There’s a Baileys flagship store?!

3. Agent Sparrow

Agent Sparrow mellow kitty

If it’s salted caramel baileys I will vote for your books for the whole next year!

I’m afraid I did not manage to make a pudding. So I bought a pudding from M&S. Then I dropped a pudding :facepalm: Thankfully after inspecting a pudding it seems completely ok. :thumbs:

[edit] I do still have to get it home whilst corralling two small children though. :eek:

alsoknownas likes this.
  4. Agent Sparrow

Ms T when is kick off tomorrow? I may actually be on time this year!

5. Agent Sparrow

Also how many people are coming? If it’s more than 10 I need to get more pudding!

6. Ms T

7.30 and 10 max!

7. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Not salted caramel I'm afraid, but similarly festive!
    Well, not exactly a flagship store, but a bar where you can 'design your own' Bailey's concoctions with hot chocolate and cream and toppings, etc. It all got a bit out of hand. (I actually shamelessly queue jumped, it was getting so ridiculous)

8. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Very much enjoyed my initiation. Thanks to everyone who attended. Very good ratio of book chat, food, booze, and general merriment I thought! :cool:

9. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

So what was the Baileys? What was the pudding? And what is the new book? :D

10. Ms T

Thanks for coming everyone.

The next book is Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance.

Next meeting is Friday 26th January. :cool:

11. Ms T

Jaffa Cake Bombe.
    Pumpkin spice Baileys

Biddlybee likes this.
  12. Agent Sparrow

The important questions :D

Fab evening all, and especial thanks to wonderful hostess Ms T :thumbs:

Ms T likes this.
  13. zora

zora true to the crab

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Bookgroup Christmas as ever highlight of the season for me, so much feasting and fun. :)
    Thanks all for the great evening, and thanks a million Ms T for another amazing Christmas at your house. Xx

14. Ms T

Happy New Year everyone!

It turns out I got my shifts a bit wrong and the 26th January is tricky for me. :facepalm: How do people feel about Thursday 25th instead? :)

15. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Fine by us, that's Burns night!.

16. Ms T

Date change: January book group will now be THURSDAY 25th JANUARY.

Venue tbc.

Thanks all.

17. Agent Sparrow

Just to say, I haven't hosted in a while and that would be a good day for me to do so. But also happy for someone else to host if they would like to.

18. Agent Sparrow

Sorry I'm going to have to retract the above - Crispy found out today he's got a very early start the next day. I'll try for the time after this!

19. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

I can host if needed?.

20. zora

zora true to the crab

Sounds good!

21. zora

zora true to the crab

Ugh, you guys, I have just crawled into bed after work feeling poorly sick. :( Some sort of grim cold. I have got a day off from work tomorrow so can recover a bit but going out in evening probably ill advised. :/

22. Agent Sparrow

Oh boo zora. Very much dislike :( Hope you feel better soon x

23. zora

zora true to the crab

Thank you dear Agent Sparrow for the well wishes! For now, I feel worse rather than better, so I'll be a no show I'm afraid, but at least it's not the dreaded actual flu.
    I did have to giggle when I told alsoknownas I was having to cancel, and he said "Shame - I was hoping you'd represent us". Which I thought was a bit rich given that I'd been representing for 15 years! To which he tried to one-up-man me with his impeccable (100%) book reading record since he joined. :D

sleaterkinney likes this.
  24. Ms T

Boo! Get well soon. xx

zora likes this.
  25. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I've read about 1/3 of this book. Gah!

26. Agent Sparrow

27. gaijingirl

If I had been more organised I would have done. Annoying because I'm enjoying this book. I wish I'd been able to start reading it sooner. I had it in my head that this was happening tomorrow and I can't make tomorrow. I'll try for the next one. One day I will succeed! Although now of course I'll be out of sync with you guys still! :D

28. Ms T

Annoying that so many couldn’t come tonight as interesting discussion although book was severely flawed!

Next month is a sci-fi classic from the recent deceased Ursula Le Guin - The Left Hand of Darkness.

Meeting on 8 March. :)

alsoknownas likes this.
  29. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Otherwise known as 'the good third' ;).

kropotkin likes this.
  30. gaijingirl

oh really?... :(