1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South London Book Group

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Agent Sparrow, Jan 31, 2015.

1. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Watching to see what you're going to read next. I had a bit of a disaster with this book - I have 2 copies finally in 2 different languages but haven't read much tbh.

I'll try again next month.

2. Agent Sparrow

Agent Sparrow mellow kitty

I think I may officially have "a head"

3. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Me too!

The next book is Jane Eyre. Meeting on 20th October.

4. Ms T

I'm bloody loving Jane Eyre as an adult. Can't wait to discuss it. :thumbs:

5. Ms T

Does anyone fancy seeing the National's production of Jane Eyre? It's on for another few weeks?

6. eme

eme turn a frown upside down!

I saw the flier for that when I was down there and wasn't really convinced - said 'it's not often you find JE funny, but....'

7. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Sounds good.

8. zora

zora true to the crab

Oh, Mr Rochester just got his first mention!
    I have to say, the story of HideousHog's bookgroup demise is adding a lot of frisson to the read. :D

9. HideousHog

HideousHog Member

Jane Eyre, my place, this Friday.
    PM me if you need the address!

zora and eme like this.
  10. Ms T

Let's hope Book Group survives the dreaded Jane Eyre! :D

eme likes this.
  11. Agent Sparrow

I think we can all breathe a sigh of relieve that Book group remains intact despite the allegedly emotive subject of Jane’s leaving! Thank you very much HideousHog for hosting :)

The (from my perspective, unexpected!) book for next month is the brand spanking new La Belle Sauvage: The Book of Dust Volume One (Book of Dust Series) by Philip Pullman. Next meeting is Monday 20th November.

FYI the hardback copy from Book Depository and Amazon is half price and therefore same price as kindle version.

HideousHog likes this.
  12. Agent Sparrow

Oh, and Crispy has expressed some interest in reading this one so hope it’s ok if we host?

13. eme

eme turn a frown upside down!

14. Agent Sparrow

Not that I am condoning such practices ;) but I also understand that there is a free torrent out there.

6% in; I do wonder whether those who haven’t read the original trilogy might benefit from reading a fairly detailed synopsis of them before starting.

15. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

That's fine.

16. Agent Sparrow

Just sat down to start reading in earnest (I’m just over half way through) and remembered my first born took my kindle to the beginning and completely lost my place :mad:

17. Agent Sparrow

This is tomorrow!

Unfortunately we rather spontaneously started redoing our kitchen floor today and our lounge is full of kitchen crap. sleaterkinney has therefore very kindly offered to host in the circumstances. I’ll be very happy to host in the new year (when you can all gaze in wonder upon our new kitchen floor).

bimble likes this.
  18. Agent Sparrow

Lovely seeing everyone yesterday and thanks again sleaterkinney for short notice hosting.

Next book is the short and seasonal The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson, with next meet being the 21st Dec.

19. Ms T

Hello bookclubbers! Festive book group is fast approaching and i’m Planning food so can I check that everyone is coming and that you’re bringing The following:

HideousHog - starter/nibbles
    eme - tbc. maybe join forces with HideousHog?
    sleaterkinney + A - cheese and biscuits
    Agent Sparrow - dessert
    zora + alsoknownas - Baileys and Xmas crackers

Everyone - wine! And a secret Santa book.

alsoknownas likes this.
  20. zora

zora true to the crab

Affirmative! :)

alsoknownas likes this.
  21. Agent Sparrow

Yep! I have a new pudding plan in mind and a day of leave beforehand, but if it all goes horribly wrong there's always M&S as a backup.

How easy is it to make meringue?

22. Ms T

Pretty easy! Especially if you have an electric whisk. You can make it in advance and if it goes wrong there’s always Eton mess!

23. zora

zora true to the crab

Yes, pretty easy with electric whisk. One thing I would say is to follow the instructions for the meringue quite carefully, e. g. adding the sugar gradually and not over-whisking. If you whisk past the "stiff peaks, glossy shine, hold-bowl-upside - down-above- your-head" - stage , it will go all liquidy again.

Sounds intriguing. :)

24. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I do feel a bit fraudulent sneaking along for the Xmas special having not put in the long hard slog through the less celebratory months. But I've heard there's already been precedence set :hmm:, so I don't feel too bad!

Agent Sparrow likes this.
  25. Ms T

Every month's a party at book group.

alsoknownas likes this.
  26. Agent Sparrow

alsoknownas, my first book group was the Christmas special. My book suggestions got picked and, well after that I had to come back!

In hindsight I wonder if it was a set up :hmm:

alsoknownas likes this.
  27. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I can teaser-reveal that the Bailey's has a slight twist to it this year. Controversial I know, but we both feel that the group will approve.

28. Ms T

Not this one - I don't like Bailey's!

29. zora

zora true to the crab

You weren't to know this, alsoknownas, but the Bailey's is a very new xmas bookgroup tradition, as recently established as last year, single-handedly and -mindedly by a certain E. :D
    I for one am very much looking forward to the Bailey's surprise, and I am sure so will E.! :)

30. Ms T

Last year it wasn't even Bailey's! It was Amarula I think - given to me by another urbanite.