South London Book Group

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Agent Sparrow, Jan 31, 2015.

1. zora

zora true to the crab

Yes! I'll be there! Also in all likelihood our very own Northener. :)

2. Agent Sparrow

Agent Sparrow mellow kitty

I'm thinking of asking the mods to change the thread title year to 2017 or just "south London book group" so it won't need to be updated again. Any preferences?

3. Agent Sparrow

Fantastic evening as always, many thanks to Ms T for her fabulous hospitality and for introducing me to the cheese grilling ski chalet thing. :) And rousing discussion about Americanah, which I think we all agreed was a gripping and thought provoking read.

Next book is The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. Unfortunately out of print but amazon had a few used copies available in the UK - we might rinse them a bit depending on how many people start to read it! Next book group meeting is Thursday 2nd March round mine so Crispy can join in again given this is one of his favourite authors. :)

4. Agent Sparrow

So this is approaching. Still happy to host, who needs my address (again)?

I reckon an 8pm start will be fine with children's bedtimes. You'll probably be let in by Crispy. However if anyone doesn't want to risk being let in and then fending for themselves for about 15 minutes I'd suggest arriving just that little bit later. :)

5. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Not 100% sure I'm going to make it, but please could I have your address Agent Sparrow. :)

6. zora

zora true to the crab

Looking forward to it! Haven't quite finished the book, but really enjoyed the 500 pages I've devoured so far!

7. eme

eme turn a frown upside down!

Not sure I'll make it either... Will confirm tomorrow, but can u pm me address pls sparrow? Ta

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. Agent Sparrow

Impressive! I only managed shy of 300 pages - forgot how much detail there is! I'm reading the summary of wiki now to remind myself of the later plot themes :oops:

9. Agent Sparrow

Lovely seeing everyone yesterday, and welcome again to HideousHog :)

Next book is SS-GB by Len Deighton...

...which I have just discovered is also a brand new TV series currently being shown! Would be nice if it's still on iPlayer by the time I've finished reading it.

10. Ms T

Thanks for hosting, Agent Sparrow.

The date of the next meeting is Wednesday 12th March.

eme

11. eme

Thanks Ms T - I can't make it, but will keep an eye on the thread for the next one

12. zora

zora true to the crab

That was fun! Great turnout, great spread, not the most lively discussion ever, but still plenty of satisfying book talk - thank you for hosting, Agent Sparrow. :)

eme and anyone else reading who might want to come, next meeting will be Wed 12 April not March, if that changes things. Sorry don't mean to shout but didn't manage to turn the bolding off after typing April. :D

eme likes this.
  13. Ms T

Yes, 12 April, obviously. :facepalm:

14. Ms T

Are we all still on for this?

15. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

As far as I know?. I am hosting I think.

16. Ms T

17. zora

zora true to the crab

I am not going to make it tomorrow, I'm afraid. A bit too much on this week, and have not read the book - am still finishing The Years of Rice and Salt!
    If we don't reach critical mass for tomorrow, I'd be up for a reschedule, or if you do meet, I very much hope to be there again in May. X

18. HideousHog

HideousHog Member

I can make it tomorrow, and am fairly likely to have read the book by then.
    Equally happy to delay.

19. Agent Sparrow

Have read it and was looking forward to meeting tomorrow, but likewise wouldn't be too disappointed if we rescheduled as still in shell shock a bit from returning to work.

20. Ms T

I've read it. Personally, I think we should meet. :)

21. eme

Ah damn, can't make as at a gig... Sorry

22. Agent Sparrow

For me tonight is the start of the easter weekend so would be nice to do something social :) So there's four of us? zora do you know if E is going or is aware? (I will text to ask too).

23. Agent Sparrow

Would be good to have a confirmed decision by lunchtime as that's when I'll be picking up nibble contributions.

24. zora

zora true to the crab

4 people certainly sounds like critical mass - if I'd known AS and HideousHog (I like your name!) could make it, I would not have introduced this element of doubt at all. :)
    Agent Sparrow - do drop E a text to remind her.

25. Ms T

i think we should go ahead as long as sleaterkinney is happy.

Agent Sparrow likes this.
  26. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think we should keep momentum up etc. If you need my address can you pm me?. Also, the doorbell isn't working so knock.

Agent Sparrow likes this.
  27. Agent Sparrow

Well I've bought nibbles anyway so if we don't meet I'll be having a picnic dinner ;)

Edit: cross post with sk

28. Ms T

Great book group tonight. Thanks for hosting, sk, and welcome to our newest member, A.

Next month's book is The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry.

We'll meet on May 18th, which happens to be Agent Sparrow's birthday.

eme likes this.
  29. zora

zora true to the crab

Glad you had a good time last night! And yay for an AS birthday bookgroup in May. Looking forward. :)

30. Ms T

Tagging eme for info.

eme likes this.