South London Book Group

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Agent Sparrow, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Agent Sparrow

Agent Sparrow mellow kitty

So, following the book group being lazarused last night, this is the new thread for the further continuation of urban cheese and wine book group during 2015.

The previous book was The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, which actually managed to hold the topic of conversation for most of the evening I'd say. :)

The next one for February is 99% Darkness by Jacob Stringer, who as many of you know is a past book group member! Available from amazon (perhaps ironically due to the book's subject ;) but the author is well aware of this) or more directly. Pay as much as you feel you want to for the kindle version on that second site.

The next date was chosen as Thursday 26th February.

eme likes this.
  2. Agent Sparrow

editor, can this please replace the old sticky book group thread?

3. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

That looks like a fantastic choice of book and modestly priced; when i have finished with the excellent David Graeber books this will compliment nicely.

Greebo likes this.
  4. Agent Sparrow

So this is a week away now. Does anyone fancy hosting?

5. zora

zora true to the crab

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I can't host atm as I have no running water downstairs and no bathroom doors....!

7. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

What was the book?

8. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I haven't even got around to buying the book yet. Hopeless - sorry.

9. Agent Sparrow

99% Darkness by Jacob Stringer (who some of us know). Available from amazon or more directly. According to at least one book grouper the postage of the second link takes a while. On that second link there is a kindle "pay what you want" deal, which is something that you, friendofdorothy and anyone else who hasn't yet got it might be interested in if we are going ahead next week.

I know that last year it didn't really happen very much (at all?) due to missed months and general lack of inertia, but if everyone is unprepared, is it worth just meeting next month? Or shall we go ahead anyway?

10. zora

zora true to the crab

I'm reading. :) I'm still up for meeting on Thurs if we achieve critical mass, although could only be there from 9pm. Let's see if anyone else checks in in the next couple of days.

eme Greebo (didn't tag you initially cos I could see from your likes that you'd already found this thread)

11. Agent Sparrow

I might do a first and tag this btw. Regarding meeting I can leave the house around 7:30 so I assume I'd be up for meeting from 8pm.

Greebo likes this.
  12. zenie

zenie >^^<

I work thursday evenings but off in March so would like to come to that one :)

Agent Sparrow and zora like this.
  13. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

I got the book today, I'm also up for hosting.

Agent Sparrow, Greebo and zora like this.
  14. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

I can get there, haven't even started on the book yet but, seeing as I've got a lot more time this week, should be able to get quite a way through it by Thursday evening. :)

15. Agent Sparrow

We have fallen out of always meeting on Thursdays zenie, so work might not normally be an issue for you :) If you definitely have Thursdays off next month though we'll try and stick to a Thursday so you can come, and then you can have a proper say in when we next meet.

Greebo likes this.
  16. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I say let's go for it. I can't get ther until about 8.30 though.

Greebo likes this.
  17. eme

eme turn a frown upside down!

Can get there for 8.30 too :)

18. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Thanks for tagging zora, don't think I've much chance of finishing a book in a month, let alone finding a babysitter :D

(maybe in a few years time)

Greebo likes this.
  19. Agent Sparrow

Keep an eye on the thread. If there's a book that you've read or think you could manage to read, there's always the option of hosting if you feel able. We did that last month so both Crispy and I could attend. :)

(and obviously ignore if the idea of a load of book groupers trashing your place feels abhorrent!! ;))

Greebo likes this.
  20. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Not abhorrent, but I live in a tiny flat, the girl wouldn't be upstairs away from loads of noise because there isn't an upstairs :D

21. Greebo

That's still doable as I don't think we've ever spent the entire evenng discussing just one book. :)

22. zora

zora true to the crab

Thought as much, my lovely, but wanted you to be in the loop as valued member and archivist of bookgroups past. Hopefully we'll still be going when and if you want to re-join, or come along as a one off. X

Greebo and Biddlybee like this.
  23. Greebo

You could also do what happened for a while with the scifi bookgroup - read along when you can and then post what you thought about it on the thread.

24. zora

zora true to the crab

I am enjoying this - looking forward to tomorrow. :)

Greebo likes this.
  25. Greebo

The book was a quicker read than I expected. :)

26. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Drop me a pm if you haven't got my address, or else see you tomorrow night!.

Greebo likes this.
  27. Agent Sparrow

Yeah, me too. I thought I was going to struggle a bit to understand all the politics but didn't find that.

Greebo likes this.
  28. Agent Sparrow

I have two bottles of red wine coming in the delivered shop, so it would be rude not to bring one :)

29. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I haven't finished it but am more than halfway through. :)

30. Greebo

Well, 99% darkness certainly caused a very lively evening of discussion. :cool:

Next book: Stoner by John Williams.