1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South African: Striking Miners Killed as Police Open Fire

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by audiotech, Aug 16, 2012.

1. revol68

revol68 what, fucking what?

So how are the RIC relevant to this discussion or to your reference to Bloody Sunday 1972?

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i was thinking of the brazen way the murders were carried out recently, and the possibility - not unknown - that, like the ric, the south african police had been told that they would not face charges arising from the use of force.

3. revol68

and this odd vague thought followed just after mentioning Bloody Sunday?

Jesus,
    stop embarrassing yourself and just admit you made a mistake.

4. Pickman's model

it followed mentioning bloody sunday because the post was in response to someone questioning whether police would be so brutal in front of cameras. as i have said, yes they would and - the thought i had behind the second paragraph - there is of course a precedent for a police force to be advised that it will not be prosecuted for killing people.

you're the only person who seems in any way exercised about this, and for - as far as i can see - no good reason

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  5. revol68

I'm doing a Jimmy Hill chinny at the moment.

DrRingDing likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

good for you.

7. dylans

dylans overlord of all acorns

Oh this just gets better
    http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2012/08/29/miners-face-murder-rap

8. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

What the fuck??? :(

Greebo and Riklet like this.
  9. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

One can picture a beanbag-filled playroom at NSY full of Met wonks all frantically filling up flipcharts with blue skies ideas and freeflow imagineering based on this sort of cynical shit.

Greebo likes this.
  10. Idris2002

Idris2002 A kick up the Arás

Did they ever repeal the "common purpose" laws the Sharpeville six were charged under?

11. frogwoman

frogwoman Whatever's meant to go here.

12. Limejuice

Limejuice Well-Known Member

Common purpose can only apply if some miners had killed a policeman or two. Then you could charge others with murder under common purpose.

It's used when, for example, two people break into a house, one kills the occupant, but they both get done for murder.

Common victimhood is not a concept recognised by law or decency.

Some sick prosecutor must have been dropped on his head at birth to come up with that claptrap.

Greebo likes this.
  13. theCIA

theCIA Lady Gaga's greatest hits

14. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

Short on time but just read this, by the photojournalist Greg Maranovich. Apologies if it has been posted already - very much worth the read:

theCIA likes this.
  15. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

16. 8ball

8ball I am Spasticus

Fucking hell :(

17. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Something is very, very wrong in South Africa. :(

frogwoman likes this.
  18. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

19. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

They did not repeal many of the Apartheid era laws as they are useful for any Capitalist government. Political progress in South Africa is limited to being able to be beaten or shot by a black policeman/soldier. When you have a revolution, you need to know when to stop pushing. They stopped far too soon.

Success is not measured by the presence of a black middle class. When the foot is on your throat, knowing the colour of the man is the same as you is no comfort at all.

dennisr, Kaka Tim and frogwoman like this.
  20. ergo if it can be shown that one pig murdered, then they all did.

:mad:

21. frogwoman

frogwoman Whatever's meant to go here.

well said

22. where to

where to Well-Known Member

Unbelievable.

23. shocking that this law is still in place, more than shocking that it has been used

frogwoman likes this.
  24. shifting gears

shifting gears Well-Known Member

This is very tough to swallow - over 20 years since the end of Apartheid and SA takes a giant step backwards by dragging up an archaic, oppressive law indelibly linked with the Apartheid era, which was historically implemented to oppress black people.... Now reimplemented to... Oppress working class black people.

Not only does the SA state seemingly support the murder of its citizens - it's actually audacious enough to attempt to transfer the blood from its hands to the hands of those associated with the slain. Wow.

The mind truly fucking boggles.

25. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

It certainly is a wtf moment.

26. Captain Hurrah

Captain Hurrah STALINIST Banned

27. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

From the BBC website.

BREAKING NEWS:
    South African prosecutors say murder charges against the 270 arrested Lonmin miners will be provisionally dropped

frogwoman likes this.
  28. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

In return for what, I wonder.

29. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

Indeed, my first thought was what, if any, is the pay off?!

cesare likes this.
  30. theCIA

theCIA Lady Gaga's greatest hits