South African: Striking Miners Killed as Police Open Fire

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by audiotech, Aug 16, 2012.

1. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

3. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

the end of the dream....:(

4. dylans

dylans overlord of all acorns

Fucking hell!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. treelover

'Barnard Mokwena, an executive vice-president at Lonmin, would only say: "It's a police operation." Lonmin is the world's third-largest platinum producer.'

Do they have UK links?, this is what the Steel magnates used to say in the US in the 30's..

6. treelover

for people of a certain age(and of course any human being) profoundly sad...

Greebo likes this.
  7. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

itv news had video of some of what happened. the reporter said 'police opened fire after a crowd armed with machetes charged at them'. funnily enough they didn't have any video of anyone carrying a machete and in the photos above i can't see any either.

8. dylans

This is what was going through my mind too. As an old anti apartheid activist I can't help thinking "Is this the freedom we fought for?"

pogofish and jeff_leigh like this.
  9. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

I think the dream became a nightmare years ago.

10. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

Yep. We're apparently supposed to believe that they charged a group of armed cops with hand-held weaponry?

11. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

lead item on channel four news rather than that assange bollocks

12. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Last pic of this BBC set has bloke or two with machete amongst crowd with knobkerries (I think them clubs are called). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19290086
    Can well believe people had armed themselves after the weekend's violence, but as said, pound to a penny no-one charged fire-armed cops.

13. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

well there was slightly more video on channel four and from what i can see a number of presumably strikers were moving towards police and then about 20 police opened up with sustained fire directly at them . channel four didn't repeat the itv claim that they were armed with machetes although they did show a policeman going to pick up a pistol from next to a dead body after the dust had settled.

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Its the Tiny Roland company that ended up with newspapers and royal and conservative links, and that got so much negative attention that Edward Heath ended up describing it as the unacceptable face of capitalism.

15. audiotech

Graphic video of shooting here with report.

16. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

17. audiotech

18. yield

yield zero

19. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

It's fucking Lonrho. "An unpleasant and unacceptable face of capitalism." Edward Heath 1973.

20. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

The bastards don't believe in warning shots do they.

21. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Suprised there were only 18 dead that was a full on " mad minute" ie fire everything you've got at the enemy.:(

Two cops were killed earlier in the week. Loads of pics of people waving machetes and spears.
    Once thats happened its not really peaceful demonstration anymore is it :(?

22. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Fuck, video on Youtube ... don't watch this if seeing a massacre happen is going to upset you too much.

23. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Is it my imagination or are those guys running because they've just been tear-gassed?

24. yield

yield zero

Just what I was going to say. All the men moving towards the police lines were hunched and had their heads down. I can see the plumes of tear gas behind them.

25. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Thats what it looks like to me

26. dylans

Can anyone explain the conflict between AMCU and the NUM? The impression I get is that the NUM is cosy with the ANC and the bosses and AMCU which is more militant has been growing at the NUM expense but what role did the NUM played in this particular incident and in this particular strike.? The Guardian says

So is the NUM organising scabbing? They are certainly siding with the cops.

The statement of COSATU was particularly grovelling and hinted at blaming the AMCU for the violence. So sad when I recall that COSATU was once such a militant opponent of Apartheid. Now it sides with the bosses and the state against workers.

fiannanahalba likes this.
  27. Superdupastupor

Superdupastupor ἀταραξία

really?

I'm too young to remember apartheid- but the impression I got was the minning consecions, land estates and the levers of power were held over.

Leave democracy to the people.

Is this not a deadly strike breaking like you'd seen in many places rather than a betrayal of apartheid

28. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

29. treelover

They just broadcast it on Newsnight, had to turn over..

30. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

lonhro?