Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Soul Jazz compilations

Orang Utan

knows how to use the three shells
some of the recent ones look great - theres no way those two nigerian funk comps will be anything but brilliant, and Venezuela '70 sounds interesting.

this is wicked too Various - Punk 45 Chaos In The City Of Angels And Devils (Hollywood From X To Zero & Hardcore On The Beaches: Punk In Los Angeles 1977-81)
this is really good: Various - Nigeria Freedom Sounds! (Popular Music & The Birth Of Independent Nigeria 1960-63)
it starts with some quite derivative calypso and r'n'b, but you can trace how it evolves into highlife with those joyful guitar licks

Last edited:

redsquirrel

This Machine Kills Progressives
Co-incidentally, I have that lined up to listen to next. William of Walworth was posting enthusiastically about Gil Scott Heron the other day, so he might be interested in this too.
Are there any definitive psychedelic soul/jazz oriented comps on Soul Jazz? I'm thinking of Rotary Connection, Art Ensemble Of Chicago, that sort of thing? I have a vague memory of seeing a review of something like it
There's this, don't know if it's any good?
Black Fire! New Spirits! – Radical and Revolutionary Jazz In The USA 1957 - 1982 | Soul Jazz Records

Pac man

Banned
Banned
One of my favs although its not jazz as such more mellow soulful house.
Soulful House.

disc:1
1. Changes - Faul & Wad Ad vs. Pnau

2. Crying For No Reason (Tom Shorterz Remix) - Katy B

3. Let Go For Tonight (Fred Falke Remix) - Foxes

4. Dance With Me - Le Youth Feat. Dominique Young Unique

5. Peppermint - Julio Bashmore

6. Real - Gorgon City Feat. Yasmin

7. If U Got It - Chris Malinchak

8. Waves (Robin Schulz Radio Edit) - Mr. Probz

9. Look Right Through (MK Dub III) - Storm Queen

10. The Show (Vocal Edit) - Mike Mago

11. Can't Rely On You (MK Remix) - Paloma Faith

12. Untitled (Call Out Your Name) - Paul Woolford

13. Giving It All - Bondax

14. When I Say I Love U (Saux Remix) - Shy Girls

15. Fall For You (Sandy Rivera's Classic Mix) - Kings Of Tomorrow Feat. April

16. Tonight - RÜFÜS

17. Stronger Than Ever (MJ Cole Remix Radio Edit) - Raleigh Ritchie

18. Please Don't Turn Me On (Disclosure Remix) - Artful Dodger Feat Lifford

Disc: 2

1. Tell You Why - Route 94

2. Everything You Never Had (We Had It All) - Breach Feat. Andreya Triana

3. Need U (100%) - Duke Dumont Feat. A*M*E

4. Easier To Hide - Maya Jane Coles

5. Mainline (Dub) - Tensnake Feat. Syron

6. Underground (Dennis Ferrer Remix Edit) - Nick Curly

7. Don't Break My Heart - NERVO & Marco Lys

8. Early Morning Champagne - Woz Feat. Joel Compass

9. Survive - Kidnap Kid

10. Better In The Dark (HyGrade Remix) - Say Lou Lou

11. Don't Wanna Dance (Davidian Remix) - MØ

12. Rhythm - Deetron Feat. Ben Westbeech

13. True - Drums of Death Feat. Yasmin

14. Follow The Step (Justin Martin Remix) - Rachel Row

15. Can You Hear Me Dreaming? (FUCHSE Remix) - PATRICE

16. I Never Knew (Prince Club Remix) - Jessie Andrews

17. Break The Hold - Linden Jay Feat. Ruby Wood

ska invita

back on the other side
Its not on Soul Jazz (its on Capitol) but the music is rare groove soul/jazz - so close enough - and Im loving it

inside 1.jpg Looks like theres at least 3 in this series (Capitol Rare) ... sure to be well worth checking if you like this kind of thing

This is the highlight discovery for me - killer piano vamps in this i think - proto house vamps...gets better the longer it goes
Peace of Mind - Rance Allen Group
played it about 7 times in a row :facepalm: better move on

Last edited:

ska invita

back on the other side
Only about a year old this one - excelllent selection - zero filler

Various - Soul Of A Nation 2 (Jazz Is The Teacher Funk Is The Preacher: Afro-Centric Jazz, Street Funk And The Roots Of Rap In The Black Power Era 1969-75)

Tracklist
1 –Art Ensemble Of Chicago* Theme De Yo-Yo 9:01
2 –The Har-You Percussion Group Welcome To The Party 3:59
3 –The Pharaohs (2) Damballa 7:54
4 –Baby Huey Hard Times 3:17
5 –James Mason Sweet Power Your Embrace 5:23
6 –Byron Morris And Unity Kitty Bey 6:40
7 –Funkadelic Nappy Dugout 4:33
8 –Rashied Ali & Frank Lowe Exchange Part 2 (II) 6:11 :beer:
9 –Gary Bartz NTU Troop Celestial Blues 7:31
10 –Oneness Of Juju Space Jungle Funk 6:02
11 –Sarah Webster Fabio Work It Out 2:45
12 –Tribe (Wendell Harrison & Philip Ranelin)* Beneficent 7:01
13 –Gil Scott-Heron Whitey On The Moon 1:58
14 –Don Cherry Brown Rice 5:13

Part one here Various - Soul Of A Nation (Afro-Centric Visions In The Age of Black Power: Underground Jazz, Street Funk & The Roots Of Rap 1968-79)

Last edited:

ska invita

back on the other side
When i was just playing vinyl, comps didn't really appeal, as there's something that doesn't feel right about playing comps next to 7s and 12s...different levels and sizes and so on...but now ive gone digital that's not an issue - all tunes are just digital tunes whatever format they may have been released on

And i've just had a look to see what Studio One Soul Jazz comps are out there and I had no idea they've done so many over the last...20 years its been.
Amazing in fact - what a treasure trove they've archived here.

My plan in 2020 is slowly listen through all the comps and also slowly pick out those tunes I would want for my bag.

So partly for my own sake, and in case anyone else is interested, Ive made a list of all the current comps, and put them roughly in categories.

SKA AND EARLIER

Various - Studio One Ska (The Original)

Various - Coxsone's Music (The First Recordings Of Sir Coxsone The Downbeat 1960-62)

Various - Studio One Ska Fever! (More Ska Sounds From Sir Coxsone's Downbeat)

Various - Coxsone's Music 2: The Sound Of Young Jamaica (More Early Cuts From The Vaults Of Studio One 1959-63)

Skatalites* - Independence Ska And The Far East Sound (Original Ska Sounds From The Skatalites 1963-65)

Various - Studio One Jump-Up

ROCKSTEADY

Various - Studio One Groups

Various - Studio One Rocksteady (Rocksteady, Soul And Early Reggae At Studio One)

Various - Studio One Rocksteady Volume 2 (Rocksteady, Soul And Early Reggae At Studio One: The Soul Of Young Jamaica)

Various - Studio One Rude Boy

Various - Studio One Freedom Sounds (Studio One In The 1960s)

+ see instrumentals section

FUNK, SOUL, LOVERS

Various - Studio One Funk

Various - Studio One Soul

Various - Studio One Soul 2

Various - Studio One Lovers Rock

Various - Studio One Women

Last edited:

ska invita

back on the other side
Does anyone own Studio One Scorcher (vol1) ? Id love to know what it says about this track on the liner notes

killer b

[distant cheering]
Track list for the new jungle & hardcore comp they're bringing out is solid...

302878-1.png

Rhythm For Reasons – The Smokers Rhythm / Babylon Timewarp – Durban Poison / The Terrorist – Rk1 / DJ Dubplate – Tings A Go On / Leviticus – Burial (Lovers Rock Mix) / The Freaky – Time And Age / Trip One – Snowball Remix / DJ Krome & Mr. Time – Ganja Man / New Vision – Way Of Life / DJ Dubplate – Original Rubadubstyle / Hi Fi Power – Chill Out (Raggafunks U) / Nu Jacks Featuring Ivory Ranks – House Sensation

ska invita

back on the other side
Excellent stuff. Thanks for the links:thumbs:
Cant help you on the Brentford All Stars one though. I've not seen that compilation before tbh.
Nor had I, and I think by the smallest of margins (the quality is so high across everything ive played so far) my favourites so far are these Scorcher instrumental Vols 1 +2 - some really rare mainly b-side jazzy one-offs, incidentally going for silly money on discogs for their original 7s. I just love the JA jazz sound, and theres also some real experimentation going on in amongst the selections. Cedric IM Brooks playing on a lot of them. Would really like to see the liner notes - thats another thing Soul Jazz do very well.

Also a revelation is the Burning Spear compilation, which takes the 'best' tracks off the first two Burning Spear albums. Every single track on there (18 in total iirc) is foundational and anthemic. When it comes to Spear albums I'm more familair with their Island output (Garvey, Garveys Ghost, Man n the Hills) as those albums are easily available, and although i knew plenty of these studio one tunes as singles playing this as a set, plus with tunes i didnt know, its quite overwhelming the genius.

I reckon though may as well skip the Soul Jazz compilation and just get the first two albums in their entirety - a few extra tracks worth having

I don't think its over the top to say these are contenders for the greatest vocal roots albums of all time

although I spot this on the discogs listing for Studio One Presents:
"Electronic drum overdubs on most of the reissues ruin this classic album - these overdubs are on the '80s-90s reissues of most Studio One / Coxsone titles, and they always sound out of place, but on an album this stripped-down, they are awful. The only way to hear it as it was meant to sound is to buy an original pressing. "

Something to be wary of. Suggests there's no CD version that hasnt been overdubbed? - though the Soul Jazz comp has the original recordings obvs, and is as clean as you're going to get - I think its been mastered from vinyl, and a couple of tunes in particular you can really hear it. Thinking about it now I wish they'd have put out the original albums on two discs. If that comment about overdubs is true then its a travesty these pinnacle albums aren't available save for pretty rare 70s pressings.

Im no record collector but there are some very desirable first pressing screen printed versions of the first Studio One Presents album, in three different designs (going for a lot of money, especially so if you want a copy that is in a good enough a state to play and isn't held together with selotape)

This orange one is the one I'd really like - although its yet ever to even appear on discogs! Listing says
"
Very hard to find pressing (probably the rarest of all !), with a picture of Winston Rodney in front of a palm tree on pink thick card sleeve. All other covers with the palm tree uses this photography where you can here easily recognize his face.
Artist name on label is "THE BURNING SPEARS" in capital letters with a S at the end as he was called in the beginning of his carrier (his first singles on the Supreme label mentions the Burning Spears due to the backing vocals, people thought it was a vocal trio like many at that time). "

-incidentally they were a trio at the beginning if i understand correctly: Winston Rodney, Delroy Hinds & Rupert Willington - right up to Man In The Hills - so basically the best work, these two albums + Marcus Garvey

Last edited:

pinkychukkles

Feed Your Head
Something to be wary of. Suggests there's no CD version that hasnt been overdubbed? - though the Soul Jazz comp has the original recordings obvs, and is as clean as you're going to get - I think its been mastered from vinyl, and a couple of tunes in particular you can really hear it.
Like you, I'm in the process of going digital (not really through choice but that's another story) and what I'm finding is that you need to be asking questions about the provenance of the mastering for compilations especially and for reissues generally. I'm really wondering how common it is post 2000 for a lot of compilations that were put out on CD for some or all of the tracks to be several times removed from the master, e.g. from MP3s.

In building my digital library, I've had to teach myself how to generate and interpret spectrographs, although at the moment, I only do this for files sourced from digital outlets as it is not uncommon for legitimate digital music outlets to be selling lossless files that are just transcoded MP3s. In the vinyl reissue market, it appears less common but there still chancers pressing up vinyl "reissues" from MP3s or rips of other pieces of vinyl, although they seem to get found out quite quickly if you keep an eye on the comments section on Discogs [example]; still, that does mean that someone has to buy it first to discover that it's poor quality.

Back to the thread, yup, love a bit of Soul Jazz. Had 100-500% Dynamite on vinyl, sold them as a job lot, this has just reminded me that I need to get the CD rips onto my NAS so I can play them… :D 😎

ska invita

back on the other side
Like you, I'm in the process of going digital (not really through choice but that's another story) and what I'm finding is that you need to be asking questions about the provenance of the mastering for compilations especially and for reissues generally. I'm really wondering how common it is post 2000 for a lot of compilations that were put out on CD for some or all of the tracks to be several times removed from the master, e.g. from MP3s.

In building my digital library, I've had to teach myself how to generate and interpret spectrographs, although at the moment, I only do this for files sourced from digital outlets as it is not uncommon for legitimate digital music outlets to be selling lossless files that are just transcoded MP3s. In the vinyl reissue market, it appears less common but there still chancers pressing up vinyl "reissues" from MP3s or rips of other pieces of vinyl, although they seem to get found out quite quickly if you keep an eye on the comments section on Discogs [example]; still, that does mean that someone has to buy it first to discover that it's poor quality.

Back to the thread, yup, love a bit of Soul Jazz. Had 100-500% Dynamite on vinyl, sold them as a job lot, this has just reminded me that I need to get the CD rips onto my NAS so I can play them… :D 😎
I guess it depends on how much you can hear the difference.
Personally I find the biggest 'danger' is shared mp3s of peoples vinyl rips, which can have all kinds weird eq/levels on them. Or another recent pain was a ""brilliant" compilation of Trax Records - the first 75 releases Various - Traxbox - amazing! But when you play these next to other music put out at the time you find its been compressed and loudnessed to death ... grrrr.
That is life I guess.

^^^
"remastered to the highest degree" lol

On the other hand I compared a 7 inch original pressing i had of a tune I have that came up on a Soul jazz comp and the SoulJazz one was infinitely superior.

But life is short and perfection is for the permanently disappointed.

I was going to say spectrographing sounds full on but in fact my mp3 player does have a multiband eq display and i do keep an eye on that sometimes.

BCBlues

Lend us a Twenner
I was surprised to see a couple of the Jazz Soul compilations on Spotify, the Disco Mix one looks good, mainly for Willy William's Armagideon Times.

Talking Burning Spear I've been checking this in Discogs cos it went for a ridiculous price previously but is now moderately about £25.
20200204_125834.jpg
I wouldn't sell it anyway as I rescued it from a skip along with about another 200 seven inch singles, mainly reggae, bluebeat, ska. None of them mint obviously but all playable.

killer b

[distant cheering]
Someone on here (tendril?) had a similar haul a decade or so ago, the contents of a jukebox. They did an awesome mix using only 7s from the skip too. Wouldn't mind hearing that one again tbh...

killer b

[distant cheering]
ah, not a skip. still, check out this tracklist.

The drummer in my brothers band gave me a manky stack of 7"s a few years back. They had been liberated from a jukebox in a pub in Kilburn, London around 1978. These are some of the ones in a playable condition, there are still a few scratches though! This is less of a mix, more a selection of tunes that needed recording before they got into a worse condition, although I'm impressed that after several owners and thirty odd years they play at all...! So stick it on and get skankin'...!

clicky the artwork to download..

full tracklisting
The royal ras-es - Love the way it should be
Hugh brown - Bits of paper
Sir Harry Vs Jah whoosh - Waydown west
Dennis brown - Wolf & leopard
Winston jarrett & the righteous flames - Kaya
Jah berry - Daily news
Lopez walker - Send another moses
Starky & hutch - Trinity
Jah whoosh - So we stay
Joseph watt - Love on the seen
Symarip - Skinhead moonstomp
Dhaima - Ina jah children
Skatalites - Guns of Navarone
Errol davis - Part i have taken
Joe gibbs & the proffessionals - Kick to yu chin
Clint eastwood - Don't go on like a hooligan
Augustus pablo - East of the river nile
Steve baswell - I'm getting bad (version)
Nigger kojak - Massacre
Cornell campbell - Prisoner of love
Jah berry - One chant down babylon
Gregory isaacs - Joe public
I-roy - Natty get ready
Love vibration - So ashamed
Mighty diamonds - Ghetto living
Junior delgado - Arm robbery

Peace & Jah be praised!
Toby

pinkychukkles

Feed Your Head
Writing my previous post prompted me to put on:

which has some great extended versions on it and sounds good on my (basic) home system so some care was taken to compiling & mastering it from decent sources. Though, having said that, one of my favourite tracks is the long version of George Faith I Forgot to Be Your Lover (AKA To Be a Lover) and I failed to recall, as I was slipping into an extended version bliss, that for some reason it includes the Dillinger toast from the extended version of Roots Train that seemingly drops in at random and out of time with the George Faith track, it's really jarring!

I'm pretty sure that it's like this on the 12" vinyl too which I also have, I will have to dig out to double check but it sounds so much like an error and one can only imagine how high Lee Perry was when he was doing the final mixdown but the masters must be like that unless anyone knows of a version where Dillinger doesn't rudely intrude?

ska invita

back on the other side
Writing my previous post prompted me to put on:

which has some great extended versions on it and sounds good on my (basic) home system so some care was taken to compiling & mastering it from decent sources. Though, having said that, one of my favourite tracks is the long version of George Faith I Forgot to Be Your Lover (AKA To Be a Lover) and I failed to recall, as I was slipping into an extended version bliss, that for some reason it includes the Dillinger toast from the extended version of Roots Train that seemingly drops in at random and out of time with the George Faith track, it's really jarring!

I'm pretty sure that it's like this on the 12" vinyl too which I also have, I will have to dig out to double check but it sounds so much like an error and one can only imagine how high Lee Perry was when he was doing the final mixdown but the masters must be like that unless anyone knows of a version where Dillinger doesn't rudely intrude?
Sounds like I'm bullshitting but i literally played that George Faith track from that (downloaded) comp on Sunday night and it didn't have any chat on it
Will double check that when i get home

And i already had a version of that on mp3 from other comp and that didnt have the Dillinger chat either - its on one of the lee perry mixes i did so im pretty certain on that as ive played that over and over

Ground Elder

Someone on here (tendril?) had a similar haul a decade or so ago, the contents of a jukebox. They did an awesome mix using only 7s from the skip too. Wouldn't mind hearing that one again tbh...
I still have it somewhere burnt to CD - I'll rip it and stick it online somewhere if anyone wants it, (if I can find the cd :hmm:)