1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soul Jazz compilations

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Orang Utan, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

sealion likes this.
  2. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

3. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

Yes, love soul jazz comps, they've educated me into loads of stuff, love their spirit. I am trying to gradually buy as many as I can as even if its a while til I get to them as know that the selection will be great. Faves would include the Dub comps, the Mantronix selection, all of the recent Disco are great (4 I think so far?) - the one with River Drive & Larry Holmes esp :cool:, Voodoo Drums Vol 1 esp is outstanding, the Gypsy Rhumba bought recently and keep coming back to it, heavy rocky loud 68-72 sounds, Hustle Reggae Disco has some great stuff - really nice reggae versions of Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and Ring My Bell, have really enjoyed the New Orleans Funk comps as didn't know that sound at all, New Yorica - Culture clash in NY one is good :)

ska invita and Orang Utan like this.
  4. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

5. Casual Observer

Casual Observer Well-Known Member

Was once in that shop when a middle-aged lady came in shouting about how exploitative reggae was for not paying the artists. She momentarily paused before launching a second rant about how someone had wanted to film her having sex with a dog. The shop was a bit pricey if I remember.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

Blagsta has a few, I think they're great, but I'm not sure what they are :oops: I'll ask him.

7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

8. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

for fans of the Blood Sisters track on that (by far the strongest tune IMO), it's totally worth shelling out on the 12 - the dub on the flip is amazing.

plurker, ringo and cozmikbrew like this.
  9. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Fez909 likes this.
  10. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

11. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

my impression soul jazz comps along with blood and fire reissues played a huge role in rekindling wider interest and familiarity in Jamaican music in the uk from late 90s onwards...the Dynamite series seem particularly popular. Soul jazz ran popular club nights at that time too. (went to one in Angel iirc)

the series that really opened my mind were the bossa nova ones...the cds come with big booklets about 50s/60s Brazilian music and are a great education. Top selection too.

ETA: These three
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my fav track on that is Don't Let It Go To Your Head

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    nogojones, stockwelljonny and Callie like this.
  12. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

They ran a night called 100% dynamite at electrowerks. I went loads, it was brilliant.

cozmikbrew and ska invita like this.
  13. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

that's the one

14. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I really liked the Mantronix one when it came out, but there are loads that I will have forgotten about.
    Mantronix - That's My Beat

stockwelljonny likes this.
  15. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

Mattym and ska invita like this.
  16. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

That & The Visage track on there are great- in fact, not a bad one on there at all. Suppose you could say that about all the Soul Jazz comps. I seem to remember a really good Acid one as well.

stockwelljonny likes this.
  17. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

They do some splendid releases indeed,ye gads ive spent some money with em:D
    this is deffinately one of the best party selections theyve put together,played it at many a back to mine session an it always gets the mood groovy:DThat Blood Sisters track is just phenomanal aint it?

18. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

That's a good one.

I recommend the first Deutsche Elektronische Musik and Country Soul Sisters (while not containing many rarities it's nice to have them all in one place). Inner City Beat and British Television, Film and Library Composers 1956-80 are kind of interesting, not sure I'd pay full whack for them but worth picking up if you see them cheap second hand.

I wasn't really grabbed by initial ones in the PUNK 45 series - thought the latest french one looks more interesting.

Dr. Furface and Orang Utan like this.
  19. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Also not a compilation but they released the wonderful Dalston Shroud by Sand (who sadly seemed to have vanished)

Orang Utan likes this.
  20. Orang Utan

ringo and Nanker Phelge like this.
  21. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

They recently released this one to accompany the current exhibition at Tate Modern 'Soul of A Nation - Art in the Age of Black Power', which is definitely worth a visit. The album's pretty decent, although the lack of something by The Last Poets is a glaring omission.

[​IMG]

22. Orang Utan

Co-incidentally, I have that lined up to listen to next. William of Walworth was posting enthusiastically about Gil Scott Heron the other day, so he might be interested in this too.
    Are there any definitive psychedelic soul/jazz oriented comps on Soul Jazz? I'm thinking of Rotary Connection, Art Ensemble Of Chicago, that sort of thing? I have a vague memory of seeing a review of something like it

William of Walworth likes this.
  23. Dr. Furface

I like their New York Noise compilations too - I think they did three of them, the first of which was this

[​IMG]

Orang Utan and danski like this.
  24. Casual Observer

Casual Observer Well-Known Member

Furnace, if you like that then you'll shit your pants at Jack Ruby. Pre-punk, pre-no wave, pre-everything. No records during their 1973-74 'heyday' or the near 40 years since then two retrospective CDs a few years ago. Ugly noise to some, manna from heaven to me - way ahead of its time either way.

danski and Dr. Furface like this.
  25. Orang Utan

I have those lined up too. saving them for last tbh cos I know I'll love them

Dr. Furface likes this.
  26. Dr. Furface

:cool: thanks!

27. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Mostly clicking, some typing.

Orang Utan likes this.
  28. Orang Utan

got the first acid one, but didn't know about the second, which looks a bit more far out. cheers!
    got the ACR one too, will seek out the Mark Stewart one - I remember a friend playing me something by him when I was young and impressionable - think it must have been cos of Adrian Sherwood and I was bang into Dub Syndicate at the time

Lazy Llama likes this.
  29. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Mostly clicking, some typing.

They did a Konk one too; I seem to remember you liked them. I got one of their 12"s in a bargain pack back in the 80's and have loved 'em since.
    I'm a big Sherwood/On-U/Pop Group/Bristol bands fan, so have plenty of that stuff too.
    The "Murder Tone" Dub Syndicate compilation is worth a listen if you've not heard it.

Orang Utan likes this.
  30. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Orang Utan likes this.