Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Soul Jazz compilations

stockwelljonny

Wait here I have gone to get help
Yes, love soul jazz comps, they've educated me into loads of stuff, love their spirit. I am trying to gradually buy as many as I can as even if its a while til I get to them as know that the selection will be great. Faves would include the Dub comps, the Mantronix selection, all of the recent Disco are great (4 I think so far?) - the one with River Drive & Larry Holmes esp :cool:, Voodoo Drums Vol 1 esp is outstanding, the Gypsy Rhumba bought recently and keep coming back to it, heavy rocky loud 68-72 sounds, Hustle Reggae Disco has some great stuff - really nice reggae versions of Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and Ring My Bell, have really enjoyed the New Orleans Funk comps as didn't know that sound at all, New Yorica - Culture clash in NY one is good :)

Was once in that shop when a middle-aged lady came in shouting about how exploitative reggae was for not paying the artists. She momentarily paused before launching a second rant about how someone had wanted to film her having sex with a dog. The shop was a bit pricey if I remember.

Last edited:

ska invita

back on the other side
my impression soul jazz comps along with blood and fire reissues played a huge role in rekindling wider interest and familiarity in Jamaican music in the uk from late 90s onwards...the Dynamite series seem particularly popular. Soul jazz ran popular club nights at that time too. (went to one in Angel iirc)

the series that really opened my mind were the bossa nova ones...the cds come with big booklets about 50s/60s Brazilian music and are a great education. Top selection too.

ETA: These three

Various - Hustle! Reggae Disco
my fav track on that is Don't Let It Go To Your Head

Last edited:

redsquirrel

This Machine Kills Progressives
this was good too, although you'll doubtless know it all (I didn't when I got it...)

Various - In The Beginning There Was Rhythm
That's a good one.

they're pretty diverse but extremely abundant, so I'm looking for recommendations/favourites, please!
I recommend the first Deutsche Elektronische Musik and Country Soul Sisters (while not containing many rarities it's nice to have them all in one place). Inner City Beat and British Television, Film and Library Composers 1956-80 are kind of interesting, not sure I'd pay full whack for them but worth picking up if you see them cheap second hand.

I wasn't really grabbed by initial ones in the PUNK 45 series - thought the latest french one looks more interesting.

Orang Utan

knows how to use the three shells
Co-incidentally, I have that lined up to listen to next. William of Walworth was posting enthusiastically about Gil Scott Heron the other day, so he might be interested in this too.
Are there any definitive psychedelic soul/jazz oriented comps on Soul Jazz? I'm thinking of Rotary Connection, Art Ensemble Of Chicago, that sort of thing? I have a vague memory of seeing a review of something like it

I like their New York Noise compilations too - I think they did three of them, the first of which was this

Furnace, if you like that then you'll shit your pants at Jack Ruby. Pre-punk, pre-no wave, pre-everything. No records during their 1973-74 'heyday' or the near 40 years since then two retrospective CDs a few years ago. Ugly noise to some, manna from heaven to me - way ahead of its time either way.

Dr. Furface

One small step for man
Furnace, if you like that then you'll shit your pants at Jack Ruby. Pre-punk, pre-no wave, pre-everything. No records during their 1973-74 'heyday' or the near 40 years since then two retrospective CDs a few years ago. Ugly noise to some, manna from heaven to me - way ahead of its time either way.
:cool: thanks!

Orang Utan

knows how to use the three shells
Have quite a few, including some of the artist compilations (Mark Stewart, A Certain Ratio etc).
Their Acid House comps get regular airings.
Various - Acid: Can You Jack? (Chicago Acid And Experimental House 1985-95)
Various - Acid: Mysterons Invade The Jackin' Zone (Chicago Acid & Experimental House 1986-93)
got the first acid one, but didn't know about the second, which looks a bit more far out. cheers!
got the ACR one too, will seek out the Mark Stewart one - I remember a friend playing me something by him when I was young and impressionable - think it must have been cos of Adrian Sherwood and I was bang into Dub Syndicate at the time

Lazy Llama

Suburban robots that monitor reality
got the first acid one, but didn't know about the second, which looks a bit more far out. cheers!
got the ACR one too, will seek out the Mark Stewart one - I remember a friend playing me something by him when I was young and impressionable - think it must have been cos of Adrian Sherwood and I was bang into Dub Syndicate at the time
They did a Konk one too; I seem to remember you liked them. I got one of their 12"s in a bargain pack back in the 80's and have loved 'em since.
I'm a big Sherwood/On-U/Pop Group/Bristol bands fan, so have plenty of that stuff too.
The "Murder Tone" Dub Syndicate compilation is worth a listen if you've not heard it.