SonyDSC V3 query - of interest to those with this camera only

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Paul Russell, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Paul Russell

Paul Russell Psychogeographer

OK -- as I can think of five people who have got this camera who have posted here, I thought I might try this forum rather than dpreview!

Something strange about my V3 -- just wondered if yours is the same.

In aperture priority mode, at apertures like f8/f5.6, etc. the maximum shutter speed is 1/2000 but as you get down to f5 it suddenly changes to just 1/1000 and is the same for f4, etc. etc.

Have I got a quirky camera or is everyone's like that?

Seems a bit odd -- it's the exact opposite to what you want in bright conditions, i.e. it's at apertures like f4 that you want access to the fastest shutter speed the camera is capable of!

The depth of field is so massive that I often want to use f3.2 or f4 to isolate the background but in bright light it becomes impossible.

Paul

2. editor

editor hiraethified

I'll have a fiddle about with it later and check (just as soon as the sun comes out!)

3. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Yup, mine is the same. Isnt it because these small digicams combine the aperture and shutter? If there is a bigger aperture, it is going to take longer to open and close the aperture/shutter mechanism because of the bigger "hole" in the blades, whereas if there is a smaller aperture, it can do this movement much more quickly. That's my theory!

On another matter, I want to use the 30 fps video. Do I need to get a Sony Memory Stick Pro, or will any of the Memory Stick Pros (eg Sandisk) be fine? Is it the "Pro" designation that is important (download speeds and whatnot I guess)?

4. Paul Russell

Thanks -- it was niggling me that I had a dodgy one. Now I know that they're all like that I can relax!

Bloody annoying though when the sun comes out and you're stuck with using f5.6/f8 etc. That's got to be my biggest gripe about this mainly great camera. Can't they sort it out so it has a max shutter speed of 1/4000 or something!

Also, if anyone's worried about how "loose" the zoom is (you can actually hear it rattle as you tilt the camera around), they all seem to be like that!

5. alef

alef Needs to take more photos

Is it possible to put a neutral density filter in front to open up the aperture on sunny days? Is the metering through the lens?

6. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

IIRC I've seen articles expounding the comprimise between info supplied on screen as opposed to the actually exposure seen/taken/used...have you looked at the EXIFs?...is the actual image crrect to given exposure?...ie does it look wrong???!! :D

and that>>>>
    tbh honest I dunt know nish about these cameras...maybe i should? :oops: ,,,I tend to go with a visual 'feel' for digi images rather than true expousre to match potential film latitude>>>ish!!! :p ...obviously extending ya zoom/focal length(assuming the V3 zoooms?) would give a certain amount of foreshortening off depth of field also innit? :D

7. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Something else I noticed last week when in NZ was that the auto focus freaked out with too much light. And I thought it was only too little that caused problems!

8. editor

editor hiraethified

Yep: there's nothing else it can meter with!

I've slapped sunglasses in front of the lens for (usually failed) arty effects and the exposure is spot on.

9. Paul Russell

Never noticed that problem with focusing. Very occasionally got "glare" (probably not the correct term -- streaking?) in the LCD in certain bright scenes.

Then again, so far this year I haven't seem that much light!

I thought the dpreview review was pretty spot on at identifying the weak points (e.g. frustrating to have to go into Play mode to view more than the last pic, soft at >f8). Didn't mention the wobbly zoom though.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations about shutter speed -- the Canon G6 is listed as having a max speed of 1/2000. But having 1/2000 through the whole range of apertures on the V3 would have been a big help.

10. Paul Russell

Hard to say. If the camera tells me I can't use that aperture without overexposing, I believe it and change the aperture accordingly...

11. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

the V3 has AI???? OMG :eek: ....you could try it out to see? ;)

edited after coming back from dprevoos :::kinell! I think I may have to go cut my credit_card in half to avoid these...they do appear to be a bit gooodho! :(

12. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Too much light down there! Everything has a kind of luminescence to it when you step off the plane from the UK (or anywhere else on the planet for that matter.)

My zoom doesn't wobble, by the way :confused: One of the biggest things that annoys me is the lack of grid lines as an option on the display. Very annoying.

13. editor

editor hiraethified

You'll get that from all camera LCD displays. The red streaking on the Minolta A2 was horrendous!

14. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap R.I.P.

I have never used this particular camera but I wonder if what is going on is that it is working to a program within aperture priority. It could do this by changing the ISO sensitivity each side of the f/5 stop.

The only way to check this would be to take some pictures and read the exif data.

Hocus

15. Paul Russell

It does it with the ISO fixed at 100 though.

16. Paul Russell

Hey don't get me worried again!

The parts of the zoom (the two tubey things) seemed really loose on my camera.

OK, there's got to be a certain amount of "play" but if you tilt it to and fro from horizontal to vertical you can actually hear it rattling. But when I took it into Jessops, they had another V3 in stock and it was exactly the same.

Someone else on this list (Salaryman, I think) said that he was worried about the rattling zoom but then just ignored it.

I posted to dpreview -- only got two replies, one said their's didn't rattle, the other said the V1 (?) which has a similar set-up had a rattle or something.

You've obviously got a faulty non-rattling one...

17. alef

Mine has mild wobble, never noticed it before. What has concerned me is the cover for the battery and memory card compartment is rather loose.

Still don't know how to use most of the features, will have to get the manual out. What is AE lock....ah auto-exposure lock.... the exposure histogram is rather cute...

18. Paul Russell

re the lens wobble -- well it took me a couple of weeks to notice it but then it seemed really noticeable!

Yes, the cover at the bottom is quite loose. Shame, as everything else seems quite rugged.

It's in the manual but pressing in and turning the little black wheel behind the big silver wheel lets you toggle between changing the aperture (if you're in Aperture priority mode) and Exposure Compensation, which I found handy as they're about the only things I ever change. I keep the ISO fixed on 100

I think the auto shutdown thing is irritating -- there's no way to override that is there?

Also as you toggle between the different LCD screen views - with/without histogram etc. -- seems pretty pointless/time-consuming to have a "screen off" view. I guess the only time you would want the LCD off was if you were running out of juice, and then a separate button would have been handier???

19. alef

Is there any way to turn off that annoying jingle that plays each time it starts up? Never thought I'd be searching for the mute button on a stills camera.

20. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

In Set Up (or whatever it is) on the main dial you can turn all that stuff off. Paul: yes, my lens does rattle a bit. Never noticed it until I checked last night! Auto shutdown is a pain. Fix a few issues for the next one and Sony will have a killer camera.

21. Paul Russell

Do Sony do firmware upgrades for little cameras like this?

I guess not, but the softness of images at f8, f16 etc. and the tendancy of the camera to pick those sort of apertures in Program identified by a couple of review sites seems like a pretty basic problem that needs fixing for snappers who like to use Program mode.

22. editor

editor hiraethified

(editor fires up Sony V3. Moves camera around. Is pleased to discover no rattling unless he really shakes the thing)

23. Paul Russell

Oh no, you've got a faulty one. Most of them rattle properly ;)