Sony Landscape - 2019 Open competition Shortlist

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by weltweit, Feb 5, 2019.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

2. editor

editor hiraethified

Some great pics there but they all look like they've been through a good Photoshop polishing.

3. weltweit

Interesting you say that, I was going to add to the OP that I was a little underwhelmed but I am not sure why.

4. editor

editor hiraethified

I can appreciate the awesome craftsmanship but I prefer my pics less tweaked!

5. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral. R.I.P.

Only viewing on a small phone. I don't see much PS in any of the first gallery.

--// second bunch all PS like 2 seperate shows.

6. weltweit

7. weltweit

What do you think of the Landscape Images Stan?

8. Stanley Edwards

Unmoved TBH. On a bit of a depression wobble this evening. I will cast judgement tomorrow.

9. editor

editor hiraethified

10. Stanley Edwards

If I ever see another photograph of a black person going about their daily business in front of a bullet scared wall I shall ensure the competition sponsor never receives a Penny from me.

11. weltweit

Where did you find that?

12. Stanley Edwards

In many forms in many competitions through the years.

13. Stanley Edwards

There you go. After a bowl of chocolate sponge roll and hot custard I feel ready to judge.

I find the use of PS here insensitive to the nature of natural, or man-made environments in most images.

The digger in the forest is hauntingly beautiful mind. I love it. A sleeping machine :)

14. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

They all look like CGI to me. (Not saying that they _are_, but they _look_ like it.)

editor likes this.
  15. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

The only landscape one that gave me any emotional response was the last one of the orange tent and the mountain. The rest look too polished as editor says.

editor likes this.
  16. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Yes, the portraits are much more evocative that first one is really nice

17. FridgeMagnet

I don’t think I like what seems to be the latest style in landscape photography, though also I’ve come to find photos not in a context a bit empty.

I did like last year’s winner: 1st Place, "Ex-voto" by Alys Tomlinson Some of those are “landscapes” but they’re part of a whole. (As usual they work better in person than on a phone.)

18. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

These photos are so incredibly manipulated by software its pointless.

editor likes this.
  19. Stanley Edwards

They are so obviously shot on film MF or, LF at first glance. If you are using LF film you really don't want a computer getting anywhere near the negative, or finished print. Film really is a different medium showing very different results when used at this level.

20. FridgeMagnet

Yeah, they were shot on 4x5. I saw the prints full size at Somerset House last year - it was one of the highlights for me and I was happy she’d won.