Sony full frame camera and lens discussion (a9, a7, a7ii and a7iii)

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by chriswill, Apr 20, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This looks to be one hell of a camera for £2,000.

[​IMG]

Sony launches new a7 III full frame camera with updated 24MP sensor and improved AF

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This dude is impressed:

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bloody hell. I'm tempted to flog off a load of my stuff and get this beauty. Check out the low light performance!

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not bad at all

2018-03-10_134940.jpg

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Tamron has launched a f2.8 28-75mm zoom which looks mighty interesting.
    [​IMG]

No price yet though....

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Previous Sony threads merged here

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I shot some low light pics on my a7ii with an ancient Olympus 50mm f1.4 lens. I was impressed with the ones that I managed to get in focus!

2018-04-27_163452.jpg 2018-04-27_163412.jpg 2018-04-27_163319.jpg

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's a useful piece:

10. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. pogofish

I got that on my Mac but not on the PC

13. pogofish

Tried it on Youtube but it seems to have added a fair bit of noise:

:)

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was thinking about flogging off a load of my gear to get the Sony 24mm-105mm f4 lens for a painfully pricey £1,100, but then the Tamron launches 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD has just been released - it's got a smaller zoom range, but brighter at f2.8 and considerably cheaper at around £700. I need something for low light sports (the floodlights in non-league football are dim as feck, but the 105mm range would have been useful). Hmm....

Tamron launches 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD lens for Sony FE, costs $800

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's a review by a really annoying bloke:

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's a far less annoying video

17. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Tbh from my limited experience I’d go for a longer lens for sports and a second camera for anything that gets close. I shot an indoor basketball game with an f4 70-210mm at 1600, but it was a lens that had good performance wide open - wide range zooms like 24-105s tend not to be great at max aperture IME. For shots right under the basket I actually used my Ricoh GR.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've used f4 lens at Dulwich games and it's simply not fast enough. I've started using a 85mm 1.8 lens along with my Ricoh GR or Sony RX1R but I'm thinking a 24-75mm f2.8 should be fast enough and have enough range to cover the action - and be a good walkabout camera too (I also have a 24mm-240mm Sony lens, but with an aperture range of f3.5 to f6.3, it's only good for daylight games).

19. FridgeMagnet

Sounds reasonable then. If you don’t feel that length is a problem but speed is then 75mm is likely long enough. I guess you can always crop with the Sony if need be. Also 28-75 is a good general use range anyway.

editor likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd love it if the Sony 24-105mm was f2.8 as that's perfect for me, but it'll be useless on a dimly lit non league night game!

21. FridgeMagnet

It’d be the size of a barrel if it was 2.8 anyway!

editor likes this.
  22. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

I wouldn't mind having that Tamron Zoom and a Sony A73
    but a bit beyond my price range.
    This year I've indulged in a 2nd hand A7 and the kit lens 28-70 for a good price.
    Plus I use my old manual lenses. Suprisingly nice is the Miranda 24mm f2.8 as long as you stop it down quite a bit.
    I'm enoying using the camera. No regrets.
    I've also bought a cheap sigma 18-35mm slow wide zoom in Minolta AF mount. Just waiting for the dumb adaptor to arrive from china.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    editor likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

One thing I don't like is that the battery can drop to zero when it's really cold (as in taking football pics in December) and I have to indulge in an unseemly camera/.battery-rubbing session to coax life back into it. I know the cold affects batteries, but the Sony seems particularly prone to this.

dweller likes this.
  24. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

Yeah, I carry two non-sony spares. The batteries drain pretty fast under normal circumstances - I haven't experienced the cold thing yet. The latest series of A7s with the larger battery reportedly last a lot longer.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I should be getting this today. It's so much cheaper than the Soy one and this is a very positive review:

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh dear. My much loved- and fucking expensive - RX1R has bitten the dust.

The ability to manual focus went over a year ago, and I've been cursed with random E61 errors from the off - and, yes, this actually is the way that it can be repaired:

But now the les makes a long series of juddering vibrations before it reaches the E61 error. If I'm lucky, a thump does the job, but as the whole process can tale anything up to 3-5 mins, it's unusable as a camera (although, I just tried it now and it worked).

I've asked Sony for a repair quote but I suspect it's going to be uneconomic, so I'm left with an expensive paperweight. Damn.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Surprisingly, Sony have only quoted me £119 to get the camera fixed, which is apparently is now their fixed price for all camera repairs. That's bloody good news - I'd seen some sky high charges on forums for fixing the same fault. Mind you, I'll wait till I get it back before getting too grateful.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Alas, my original enthusiasm for this repair has been tempered by the fact that the camera is still with Sony with no set date for its return. I'm really missing it: I think I;ve always preferred smaller, fixed lens cameras from the Olympus XA onwards...