Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 earns rave reviews

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Jul 23, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

If this website liked it any more, they'd burst!
    And elsewhere:

So what do you reckon folks? Anyone getting one? It's priced at around £550 in the UK.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lack of a touchscreen is a bit of a bummer though...

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm warming to this fella. I need a really small, truly pocketable camera and I've just sold a few pics... mmmmm....

*tries to fight temptation

4. High Voltage

High Voltage Laying in the gutter, looking at the kerb.

So, did you succumb??

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nope! I found an Olympus E-PM1 body for just £150 so bought that instead.

6. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Bump
    I'm looking to replace my LX3. I've seen this and the lx7- which to go for? Or something else?
    Pocketability and a good IA mode are important. As is a better zoom than on the lx7. Fortunately, for me, price isn't an issue - just value for money
    Thanks

7. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

I handled one of these Sonys in Jessops and it was love at first feel.
    This thing is tiny and when switched off the lens retracts completly.
    The design is beautiful and the lens ring control for settings seemed a nice option
    I own an lx3 and this is much smaller and pocketable.
    If money isn't an issue I would go for it.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It is a fabulous camera. If I manage to flog a few more photos I may indulge myself :)

9. nick

Ok - so I'm keen to get one.
    Cheapest at the moment seems to be Amazon @ £450. Assuming I prefer to give my money to a UK based organisation (ideally one with a physical presence) any recommendations?
    john Lewis do it for £480, but are there any south London (SW2) based independents that could do with some business but will do a half decent price?

10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

cyber shot sounds like something you do on skype if ye get my drift

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  11. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

12. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

I got an s110, but I'm thinking of taking it back for one of these Sonys. The 1.8 max aperture and the big sensor has me sold.

13. nick

14. nick

Am I unlucky or are Jessops just rubbish?
    <Green ink> Decided to buy from a UK bricks and mortar company so booked a click and collect at their Croydon branch. They phoned me back after 1 hour to confirm it was ready. Drove 30 minutes to Croydon to find that they didn't have it in stock. The bloke that I had spoken to on the phone said that he had tried to call me back to say this. When I pointed out I had no missed calls or voicemail he retracted and said that he was going to have called me but hadn't had time. Best the manager could do was offer to order one in for another day, at which point he would refund my parking. Alternatively I could drive to Bromley to collect. They would be unable to deliver anything to me as they don't have insurance for that.

Needless to say I didn't give them may money. </green ink>

Luckily John Lewis Croydon had one is stock so I paid more than I had intended - but with a smile on my face because it meant that Jessops won't get a penny and I helped the profits of a seemingly decent company.

PS camera on charge - so not had a chance to play yet, but it looks and feels nice

15. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

John Lewis do a price match. Doh!

16. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Yep, their motto is 'Never Knowingly undersold'.

firky likes this.
  17. Firky

John Lewis have such an excellent customer service they may still honour that promise :)

18. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

I worked at Bainbridges (John Lewis in Newcastle) for 8 months when I left School, I only left because I managed to get an Apprenticeship, I wasn't an employee, I was a 'partner' which included a share of the profits, my share for 8 months work there was £800, a huge amount in 1979

firky likes this.
  19. nick

They may do price match, but only if it is in stock at a local competitor - Croydon Jessops obviously didn't have it , and Bromley is out of range.
    I did mumble price match to the lady in JL, but to be honest they were so busy, yet so helpful and fast to serve me - I was happy to give them the extra £50.

20. Firky

It's still there, nextdoor to Fenwicks :)

21. dweller

price drop might indicate a follow up model in the pipeline,
    there's always something new in the camera world

those that have taken the plunge, I'd look forward to seeing some results

22. nick

I guess the price drop may have indicated desperation by Jessops, judging by today's news. FWIW it was back up to 450 yesterday, and I'm not going to bother getting John Lewis to price match.
    Very pleased with the quality of the photos in the limited shots I've taken so far

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Let's see 'em!

toblerone3 likes this.
  24. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I want to buy this but like the editor am curious to see some pictures. And also would like the price to come down a touch.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

dweller likes this.
  26. dweller

Came across this flickr stream of Tokyo streets at night.
    All of the recent shots here are taken with RX100 iii
    Just goes to show what you can get out of that tiny camera and a bit of lightroom processing.

editor likes this.
  27. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

Has anyone tried the IV?

I'm looking for a new compact

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a great camera but hideously pricey. What kind of thing are you looking to photograph?

29. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

I'm just looking for a high quality compact for day to day shooting when the DSLR is to big to pack.

I'm fortunate enough to have access to Sony staff discount so I can get one for a reasonable price ;)

I do like the option of 4k too

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The second hand RX1R camera I bought is absolutely amazing. That and the GR are my #1 non SLR shooters :)