1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony A9 - DSLR killer?

Discussion in 'cameras and camera gear' started by chriswill, Apr 20, 2017.

1. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

2. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

USD4500??!!

3. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

Nikon's flagship is $499 more!

4. Johnny Canuck3

I like the silent shutter feature, and the weatherproofing. I already have a Sony camera, so I very much like the tilt screen.

But no way could I justify spending that much money on a camera.

5. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

I can't justify the price. If I were earning a living from my photos though, then I'd have to at least give it some consideration.

20fps with no blackout (assuming that is the case) is off the chart.

6. Johnny Canuck3

That sounds pretty impressive; personally, I don't do any sort of shooting that requires it, but I can see how people photographing sports etc, would like it a lot.

7. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

Sports and wildlife is my thing, which is why this peaked my interest.

If the A9 works as they say it does then Canon and Nikon in particular will have to up thier game significantly.

8. Johnny Canuck3

I've never owned a Nikon; but I'm very happy with my Sony camera.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Sony full frame cameras are now outselling Nikon!

10. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

I've got one of each. A Sony A6300 and a Nikon D500

They both do different things well

11. Johnny Canuck3

Curious: which camera is better at which things?

12. Johnny Canuck3

One of the things I like about my Sony full-frame, is that it isn't too big. The Nikon and Canon full-frame DSLRs are big things - heavy and obtrusive.

13. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

The D500 is my sports shooter. It's astonishingly quick to focus and I can genuinely say that if I take 8-900 shots during a game then less than 10 are out of focus. It's that good. It goes from off to on in a fraction of a second (the A6300 seems to take an age in comparison) and the 100 viewfinder coverage is bright and clear. Same applies to wildlife.

The Sony handles landscapes better, although this may be because I have more suitable E mount lenses. I also prefer the portraits that the sony gives you with things like eye focus and the like.
    Plus the video quality is much better Imo and is much easier to handle when it comes to moving pictures (ie its not like holding a small child while trying to shoot)

D500
    Tyldesley U8s at Sale Sharks

A6300
    AJ

14. Johnny Canuck3

I mostly shoot landscape, and some street - and I use manual lenses; so the Sony works quite well for my purposes.

I'm thinking about breaking down and buying a decent AF lens for the street photography, though. [the kit lens the camera came with is a piece of crap, imo]

15. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

The picture of Alex above was taken with the Ziess 35mm full frame lens on the APSC A6300.

I can wholly recommend it.

16. Johnny Canuck3

Is that the Sonnar lens?

The ones I've been considering are in the Touit series.

17. Johnny Canuck3

I used to have a Sony A6000, the precursor to your A6300.

It was a good camera, but I sprung for a used A7S - it gives great results. I swear by full frame, now.

18. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

That's the one, F2.8

Ive not used a touit but they do look nice

19. Johnny Canuck3

I wish this hobby wasn't so damned expensive, though.

chriswill likes this.
  20. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

Due to the lack of affordable long glass for E mount I need the extra mm that crop sensors give me. Plus the reduced cost of lenses helps a lof

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an A7Rii in all its megapixel glory but mirrorless is ultimately a second system for me (unless the A9 changes that)

I did have an RX1R for a while which has the 24mp full frame sony sensor and I must admit image quality was out of this world.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wish I could afford the RX1R ii. It's a beaut.

22. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

I ordered one and then cancelled as they pushed the price up when sensors were scarce. Maybe when I win the lottery!