Songs with birdsong

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by brogdale, Feb 4, 2013.

1. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Can't believe I forgot this!

redsquirrel likes this.
  2. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

3. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

4. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

5. brogdale

6. brogdale

Is it just me or is there more mid-winter birdsong (especially at dusk) than when I were a nipper?

7. brogdale

Not complaining, mind; I stood stock still for about 10 mins the other evening in Morden...just listening to birdsong...very uplifting really.

ska invita and danski like this.
  8. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Great comedown track.

Background birdnoise is, I always believed, a sample from a radio test for...(Radio5 ?) that was played every day for a couple of months on the right waveband.

ska invita and brogdale like this.
  9. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

really like that, thanks
    where in the country are you? Is it differnet to where you were as a kid?
    as a kid I THINK i remember london (tottenham) having a proper dawn and dusk chorus, even in the concrete jungle areas...likewise murmurs of starlings in traflagar square, and generally more birds aboot. Cant say I trust my memory to well on that now. A friend of mine lived in Dulwich and they get a really loud dawn chorus...
    Broadly speaking bird populations in the UK are in quite worrying decline

10. campanula

campanula plant a seed

I think the breeding cycle is moving forward - mild winters. Watched a pair of thrush doing their dancing and bobbing wingflapping courtship dance the other day and blackbirds are already building. Birdsong seems to reach a zenith around April and tails off through the summer.

ska invita likes this.
  11. ska invita

Are winters really milder?

12. campanula

campanula plant a seed

The trend is for dryer, milder winters and wetter summers...but obviously, how this data is measured and recorded leaves a lot still open to speculation...particularly regarding timescales, sample sizes, etc etc. In my experience as a gardener though, I have seen my bulbs out earlier, year on year (Fowlmere daffodil weekend fair has been moved forward twice in the last decade)...while anomalous flowering of things like chaenomeles, prunus, hamamellis and daphnes, spontaneously bursting into bloom at Xmas is frequently documented...and snowdrops are all over the place - with elwesii up in November, hellebores in full flower in January (used to be March, 20 years ago). Salvias, which were always semi-evergreen, are holding onto their leaves...while my roses have to be hand stripped of old diseased foliage...when I would have expected totally bare branches. Oh yes, the mollusc and pest apocalypse, owing to lack of killing frosts.
    So yep, afaik, ska invita, winters are definitely on the change.

Yep, I agree - the declining insect population (and consequent diminishing numbers of flycatchers, tits, pipits, wheatears, blackcaps and so on) is really a bit desperate.

Re birdsong in music. Never been certain whether I am hearing gulls in the background of Talking Heads, 'Listening Wind'...or some synthesised shrieks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    ska invita likes this.
  13. ska invita

ive noticed bulbs coming up early, including this year here in my local park, buts whats weird is we've had a consistently cold winter here...the temperature has barely made it above 5 in the last 6 weeks. I dont see why theyre confused on that score, but maybe its not as simple as how cold a winter is. I feel like recent winters have been colder, but anecdotal evidence like that obviously isnt reliable

14. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

anyone mentioned the "birdie song" by the tweets yet?