1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

songs that always make you cry :o

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by wayward bob, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Justice Tonight.

Memories. :(

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

This was played at my mum's funeral. Richard Strauss wrote four songs just before he died and these were subsequently titled Four Last Songs. Three of them were adaptation of Herman Hesse's poems, and the third, Going To Sleep was what my dad chose to play:

Cloo likes this.
  3. Libertad

Libertad Sweetie

4. Cloo

Cloo U R dOin me a friTen

Yes, all of them totally set me off, especially as my mum always says she wants to hear them on her deathbed.

Orang Utan likes this.
  5. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Every time. Like a big baby.

6. pocketscience

pocketscience Well-Known Member

After a very long & complicated labour this was playing as I held my 2 day old daughter in my arms at home for the first time. Since then it never fails to bing a tear to my eye, remebering the utter relief and sense of unconditional love. It's so apt:

wayward bob likes this.
  7. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Rediscovered an old one today, "Hardly Getting Over It" by Hüsker Dü. It used to make me cry because I associated it with a mate who killed himself after his partner left him. Today I put it on and was in floods of tears by the first chorus because it reflected how I've been for the last 6 months, since Greebo died.

8. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

9. wayward bob

i used to sing this to my kids when they were babies. i sang it to my dad just before he died.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  10. wayward bob

during a very long and complicated labour mr b tactfully skipped this one :D

11. wayward bob

12. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Thanks. If it isn't one song it's another. Can't listen to Julian Cope at all since her funeral - we played "When I Walk Through The Land of Fear" - because his voice sets me off. Can't listen to loads of other stuff that she loved - except Clannad and Enya, because I already loathed it - because it reminds me of her. I TRY to listen, but a few seconds in and drip-drip-drip! :)

13. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Was mostly off the boards for the past couple of weeks because my sister died. She was only 32 and died suddenly of Diabetes Type 1 related complication in her sleep. We had the funeral last Wednesday and opted to play this at the start. My Dad's favourite tune. A real tear jerker too.

14. Orang Utan

I'm really sorry to hear this, skyscraper101 , what an awful shock for you

15. wayward bob

(((skyscraper101 ))) what a terrible shock for you and your family. love and strength x

16. existentialist

existentialist Be Mr Ken Well Mown

I saw Eric Bibb live about 12 years ago. Lovely bloke, great music. I'd forgotten about him until now. So sorry for your loss, skyscraper101.

17. existentialist

My contribution. We performed the opera this is from on Saturday - and, as is the way of these things, hadn't heard our soloist sing it until the rehearsal (this isn't her doing it)...

Quite a few of us were mopping up tears in the rehearsal, but that's OK, we thought - we'll be fine for the performance.

Not a bit of it. Spine-chillingly moving. And quite a lot of the audience were hunting for tissues.

18. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

19. Orang Utan

I was astounded at Saaam's funeral that the choir he sang in managed to sing several beautiful songs without falling apart. I don't know how the managed it.

20. existentialist

It is possible to sing through quite a lot of falling apart. It's a lot tougher if you're doing it solo - the old lump in the throat tends to get in the way, but if there was ever a time when it was OK to lose it during a performance, funerals are it.

Sometimes, I think it's easier: at least you have something to do instead of standing there while it all happens around you.

Orang Utan likes this.
  21. existentialist

This one is fairly consistently tear-inspiring for me, too.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  22. Dieselpunk2000

Dieselpunk2000 Well-Known Member

23. blairsh

blairsh liquidising assests...

They sang at a memorial too, fucking legends, the lot of em.

Orang Utan likes this.
  24. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

So very sorry to hear about the loss of your sister skyscraper101 :( Big love to you and yours. x

25. campanula

campanula am I still bleeding

Robert Wyatt Sea Song , Shipbuilding
    Pentangle Lyke Wake Dirge
    John Martyn - May you never
    Judee Sill The Kiss
    Neutral Milk Hotel - King of Carrot flowers
    Stackridge God Speed the Plough, To the Sun and the Moon
    Van Morrison Snow in St Anselmo

26. Orang Utan

I heard Cinematic Orchestra's To Build A Home in Orange Is The New Black and it's very movingly used, but the video for the song is even more of kicker:

27. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

• Thelonious Monk's Pannonica (a kind of butterfly). It starts on the celeste with tender delicacy and big bad horns......later you hear the 'brumming' of an insects wings....its got a very mourning kind of air, haunting.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017