someone I work with has sent a malicious email

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by temphelpplease, Jan 31, 2018.

1. PippinTook

PippinTook Some are born to sweet delight

If you have an IP address then that can be traced surely?

Also..

"Law Enforcement
    Most situations in which you are likely to send an email somebody might want to trace -- playing a prank on a friend, for example -- are unlikely to be of interest to law enforcement. You should, however, be aware that law enforcement and government agencies have the ability to request user information from both Google and ISPs, and can force them to reveal such information through subpoenas, court orders or search warrants."

Can a Gmail Account Be Traced?

temphelpplease and Badgers like this.
  2. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Yeah but if they know what they’re doing they’ll have opened an account specifically for the task and sent it from behind a proxy in an Internet cafe in Panama.

3. PippinTook

True.

Maybe the direct approach is needed then?
    Show the emails to all office colleagues and watch their reactions. It may not stop them but it might give you an inkling of who is the culprit

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

I think outside legle advice is a good idea if hr aren't being helpful. Your employer has a duty of care to you in work, and if something is going on there,they should be looking into it.

5. PippinTook

Other option..
    Company changes from Gmail to an alternative...one that is monitored inside the company.

This needs to be viewed as a whole staff issue. It could very well happen others.
    I would be pushing for openness and transparency about the handling of all of this.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  6. temphelpplease

temphelpplease New Member

I'm hoping that they will proceed to a court order next, if i have to call the police in that might make them be more serious about it
    It's really horrible that this is even a thing, I just can't get over it that someone would do this

PippinTook likes this.
  7. PippinTook

People can be scum.
    Unfortunately.

8. Schmetterling

Schmetterling I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

In a rush right now so can’t expand too much but do not call the police from work yourself; you have to get security or someone authorised to do so to do it - unless the law has changed. That used to be a sackable offence.

PippinTook and temphelpplease like this.
  9. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

What? It can't possibly be a sackable offence to phone the police from work. If you suspect a crime has been committed you have every right to phone the police.

muscovyduck likes this.
  10. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

temphelpplease if you are in a union they may be able to help you. They should at least be able to assist you with HR.

11. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

That is definitely not the case. Anyone can call the police.

Possibly you are thinking of it being policy to call an internal number in an emergency so that site security can coordinate with the fire brigade in a properly defined way or whatever, and also because you expose your employer to charges of wasting the services' time, but again you can phone 999 if you need to.

muscovyduck, Badgers and PippinTook like this.
  12. PippinTook

I'm glad you said that..I was wondering why it would be a sackable offence.

Badgers likes this.
  13. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

A court order to who? Who is going to be served an order if nobody knows who is sending the emails?

It is a horrible thing to happen I agree.

14. Schmetterling

Schmetterling I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

Hiya,

I used to work in Child & Families Social Work at a hospital (2003-8 so regulation might have changed since then). We were not allowed to call the police on a client or a colleague due to confidentiality - sounds mad, I know, but that was a sackable offence.

15. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

It would have to be a court order to google to get the original IP, and then the ISP of the sender.

How bad was the email? Death threats or something?

purenarcotic and PippinTook like this.
  16. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

That's the specifics of confidentiality of that role, and if mental health risk-related stuff now is anything to go by, probably not the case any more either :)

Schmetterling likes this.
  17. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

I've called the law at work before now. Not on a colleague, admittedly, but in an emergency I've done it a few times. I work in social housing and I've had people threaten suicide / set their flat on fire etc.

PippinTook likes this.
  18. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

PippinTook I think your suggested courses of action are risky, unlikely to succeed and will quite possibly just make things worse

Stick with going through appropriate authorities for now, temphelpplease. Hang in there, and keep posting, lots of support here for you :)

existentialist likes this.
  19. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

It’s also possible that it isn’t someone who works with you at all. It’s someone who has a grudge though, clearly.

20. PippinTook

What?.
    All of them???
    I suggested legal action.
    I also suggested the company could change from using gmail to a work email system that could be monitored.
    I also suggested transparency and letting colleagues know what's going on.
    Ok...maybe posting the offensive email on the office board is a step too far for some...but if all else fails...?
    But I did contribute more than one suggestion.

21. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

If you call the police, don't dial 999. It's not an emergency.

I'd call the police for what its worth. They take malicious electronic stuff a lot more seriously these days

mojo pixy and PippinTook like this.
  22. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

How about replying with "fuck you, coward. Meet me in the car park at 5:30 for fistycuffs"

23. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I think the OP said that the email came from a gmail address, to their work address.
    Not that they use gmail at work...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  24. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Or publish the address here to increase the volume of fan mail.

25. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

:D

26. PippinTook

Excellent idea...

27. RainbowTown

RainbowTown Well-Known Member

Keep every bit of evidence you have, document it. Have a timeline to all that's occured. Also make a written note on all the people you've approached on this matter, include dates, times, responses etc.

Then inform your manager(s) and HR that unless steps are taken NOW to address the problem, you will be seeking outside legal advice forthwith. State to them,you'll give them a few days to respond. Be focused, firm and resilient. Good luck.

28. doodlelogic

doodlelogic arbitrary message here

It‘s this kind of shit that enabled Saville.

29. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

:hmm:

ETA: Lazy Llama ?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  30. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

I can't see how that in itself can be legal.

I spent over a decade in the NHS, so I'm very familiar with the confidentiality requirements. There's absolutely nothing that I came across which could possibly prevent anyone from calling the filth about suspected criminality though. I suspect that at the very least you weren't being told the whole picture. ..

Was this definitely *official policy,* or just something your boss told you?

Plumdaff and crossthebreeze like this.