someone I work with has sent a malicious email

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by temphelpplease, Jan 31, 2018.

1. temphelpplease

temphelpplease New Member

someone i work with has created an anonymous gmail account to send me a malicious email

as it's gmail i can't get it traced

does anyone know what my HR dept's obligations are to me now? I am honestly freaking out and although i have my suspicions on who it is without proof i don't know what i can do here

i'm really distressed, if anyone has any advice that would be great

2. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

Have you tried asking them?

Badgers and Fozzie Bear like this.
  3. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

Yeah, ask HR

Do you think it may have been sent from a work PC/device?

Badgers and Fozzie Bear like this.
  4. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Without proof it may be difficult to get hr to do anything. Did the email come to your work email address?

Keep a copy of it then block the email address.

Badgers likes this.
  5. keithy

keithy or queefy

What basis do you have for thinking it is somebody from work?

NoXion, Maggot, Badgers and 1 other person like this.
  6. Throbbing Angel

oh yes, keep a copy, print it out too just in case - forward it to HR if you feel that's appropriate

e2a:
    Are you on Outlook at work? Can you view the email headers and find the sender IP?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    keybored and Badgers like this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

I wouldn't worry about it but plot a suitable revenge to be taken when the stars are right.

8. Throbbing Angel

9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Trace an email with its full headers - Gmail Help

Copy the header into: Messageheader

If you look at the headers you should get an idea of the IP address it came from, from here use a site like Track any ip address find out where it comes from. which won't give you the exact location, but should at least give you the city and who owns the IP address, be it a work organisation or an ISP.

From here get your HR/IT Dept to look into it, or contact the ISP from where it came from, but don't expect a quick response!

10. cybershot

Oh, just realised this is a newbie! Prob trying to sell us something when they let us know what product they used to track down the IP address. :rolleyes:

11. Pickman's model

glad you've caught up :)

12. Pickman's model

what led you to share this with us?

13. temphelpplease

so i used to be a long standing member but am locked out as i havent logged in in over a year but i know from past experience this is a god place for support and advice and techy knowledge too
    it could only have come from someone in my team due to what they were saying and the stuff they knew
    HR are meeting with my boss today but the email address used was gmail and i know that it couldnt be tracked and without a court order there is no info i can get that would be of any use
    im genuinely worried as this person is unhinged and has it in for me, i just wondered what duty of care HR had to live up to, Im waiting for union rep advice too but theres been no one around
    im scared and angry

doodlelogic likes this.
  14. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

These two posts are what you need to do. Gather evidence, record everything, when and with whom you spoke to HR. That way you can substantiate any claims you might make in the future.

Good luck with it all.

Badgers likes this.
  15. temphelpplease

yeah IT did all of that but they got no info at all about where it came from - all gmail ips are gmail
    I'm just worried that this person might try and go further than just anonymous emails - seriously they are not ok and i wondered what obligations for my safety work have to provide me with - plus of course my brain is like who the fuck did this and how the fuck can i work with any of these people ? like this sucks

16. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

Of course it sucks, of course you are upset. However, don't let yourself become paranoid over it. If you do, they've won. Don't let them. Just be cautious about what you tell people.

17. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

In which case they’d reveal themself. Which they evidently don’t want to do hence bullying anonymously.

18. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Was the email sent to your work email account, or your private one?

19. temphelpplease

work email account

20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

HR has a duty of care, in theory, and needs to take steps to ensure that employees feel safe at work.

Your union rep should be able to advise you further. You should start to record any adverse feelings you experience as a result of this with times etc.

krtek a houby and temphelpplease like this.
  21. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Block the email address!

NoXion and Pickman's model like this.
  22. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I've just been thinking about this some more. I don't know how big the team is but I would expect, at the very least, for HR to conduct an investigation into this and question each member of the team individually. They don't need to name you.

If the email was sent during work time people should be asked where they were at that time and who they were with. Did they see anyone acting suspiciously etc. It should be made clear that they are treating it seriously and disciplinary action will be taken if the culprit is found.

Probably fuck all will happen as a result of that.

But it will hopefully put whoever it is off doing it again. Depending on the contents of the email the interview could conclude by saying that the police will be called in if it happens again.

You should ask your union rep to press for this if it isn't offered.

Voley, muscovyduck and temphelpplease like this.
  23. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

If it was sent from a work computer then there will be a record of that person being on gmail at that time (although that might not narrow it down).

temphelpplease likes this.
  24. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

This thread has given me a great idea for how to blow off some steam at work.

maomao, UnderAnOpenSky and emanymton like this.
  25. temphelpplease

so far the tech people have not tracked down the culprit. I'm hoping for an update this week. HR are starting to piss me off though as they seem to be moving rapidly towards managing how i feel about the email rather than doing more to find the person and dismiss them. Am considering calling the police and reporting it if work continue to dither about.

sorearm likes this.
  26. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

It’s possibly not ‘dithering’ - it isn’t difficult for someone to cover their tracks if they know what they’re doing. And presumably they’ll have done their homework so as not to get caught.

27. TruXta

TruXta tired

HR are there to protect the business, not you.

28. cybershot

Also IT probably don't have the resource to put onto this, plus as said if they are covering their tracks they will be difficult to catch, that's even assuming they are using a work computer or work network. They could simply be using their phone on a mobile network, so company IT won't see anything. It's unlikely they will spend much time on it at all.

moochedit likes this.
  29. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

I suspect you'll find the police's response even more deeply unsatisfying. And I think it's appropriate for HR to be considering your feelings in the matter alongside doing what they can to track down the culprit. But that culprit was smart enough to cover their tracks, and it's likely that the only way they'll be found out is if they get careless and do/say something which identifies them.

Malicious emails are horrible - I can completely understand why it's upset you. But it would be a good thing for you if you are able to step back from the feelings a bit, and let the process run its course. Hopefully, there won't be any more. If there are, it increases the chance that the culprit will be caught. And, if your work IT department have blocked any further messages, they'll have the evidence without your having to see it.

30. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Providing a duty of care is protecting the business.