1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some photos of Lewes, East Sussex

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Mar 25, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

clicker and ska invita like this.
  2. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Nice pics. :cool:

I'm quite fond of Lewes, as I used to go drinking there a lot when I lived in Uckfield. It's a strange place; affluent, genteel and conservative on one hand, but quite hippyish on the other, and also a bit rough, especially around the High Street at chucking-out time. The midnight bus back to Uckfield on a weekend was mayhem too. :D

3. George & Bill

George & Bill Well-Known Member

It's sort of the Hampstead of Sussex - plausibly once a bastion of the liberal intelligentsia, even with undertones of radicalism (there is a pub called The Rights of Man that has a portrait of Thomas Paine in place of the usual gurning monarch), it's now firmly the territory of the philistine rich, with a few hippies still hanging on round the edges.

Continuing on down to the coast at Newhaven is quite a contrast.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. Sea Star

Sea Star trans women are women; trans men are men

hoping to be camping down this way in the spring. Haven't been since I did the London to Brighton cycle ride (went via Lewes on my homeward stretch) about three years ago now.

editor likes this.
  6. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

In my retirement if I am static and wealthy, as opposed to a poor travelling nomad, Lewes is top of my retirement place list. It holds a dear place in my heart.

I often fear the floor giving way in the 15thC bookshop though! It creaks alarmingly loudly.

ska invita, LeslieB and editor like this.
  7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Not an image of bonfire or forework in sight :thumbs: