Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Nanker Phelge, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

2. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Shippou-Sensei, gosub, T & P and 11 others like this.
  3. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

4. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

If it comes down to them making it too comedic, which I've read somewhere else, then they were a bad choice to begin with.

I think a Han Solo flick needs action, comedy and pathos, and the Lego Movie delivered that in spades...

S☼I and QueenOfGoths like this.
  5. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The production jitters of Rogue One were widely documented at the time but to Disney's credit, they ended up delivering a fine film at the end (and anyone who doesn't agree is a po-faced cunt IMO- no offence).

I reckon this spin off is going to prove harder to sell, even to die hard fans. Rogue One always offered some intriguing possibilities. Not sure that many people are interested in the early times of Solo, partly because Harrison Ford's shoes are all but impossible to fill, and partly because his early life story does not add anything much to the main SW storyline as we've known it thus far.

6. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

Not to be a dick, but don't your first and second paragraphs contradict themselves?

7. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

No...cos first paragraph is about cited reason why star wars execs got rid...hence they made a poor choice...

2nd para is me thinking they actually made the right choice in those directors.

Simply....if they didn't want a han solo movie made by the directors of the lego movie thrn they made a shit decision...but I'd like to see that film...

The Octagon likes this.
  8. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Any Hans Solo film would have to have some comedy in it... he was the heroic jester after all.

9. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I think this is all nonsense :D Who cared about the back story of the disc of the Death Star plans? No one at all. And the film clearly didn't end up telling quite the story it wanted to. It was decent but not great (like TFA is great) but was very successful and valuable addition to the story.

Conversely, Han is the star of SW and looads of people care about his back story and it's going to be hard to do it, whatever it was, justice. His back story matters in the same way as what he'd been up to since mattered. Turned out not to seem like much at all, but who knows if we'll get a film of that too.

10. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

As Santino once pointed out, A New Hope is the back story of Han Solo. "How a small time smuggler became a hero of the galaxy"

What's next? Luke's adventures on a moisture farm, bullseying wamp rats?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  11. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

"Fast Times at Tatooine High" would probably make a fortune.

May Kasahara and T & P like this.
  12. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Corellian Graffiti

13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

the best bit is going to be han doing the kessel run and the time he wins the falcon from Young Lando

Dom Traynor, T & P and Badgers like this.
  14. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Studio interruption during the making of rogue one resulted in more Vader and more Riz Ahmed....so not too bad.

I'm really looking forward to the Han Solo film and hoping to get a good old space western about bandits and smugglers etc...

I just a good action romp with some laughs and loads of fanboy shit like Boba and Jabba...

5t3IIa and Badgers like this.
  15. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

16. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

17. Santino

And in American Graffiti.

Badgers likes this.
  18. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

I have two words for you "Arrested Development".

If I had a billion dollar movie in crisis, "get me Ron Howard" is one of the sanest moves possible.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Dom Traynor and Badgers like this.
  19. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Hopefully that means Clint Howard will show up as an imperial radar operator or similar.

Maltin and Dom Traynor like this.
  20. Dom Traynor

Dom Traynor Ngāti Tarara

I think Ron Howard is a good choice and I do actually trust Disney to get this right, they did with Rogue One imo

T & P and Badgers like this.
  21. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'm sure it's already crossed the mind of Disney executives, but as their current business plan for SW seems to rely on a seemingly endless number of spin-offs, I wouldn't mind seeing an account of what happened between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. I mean, as long as three years have apparently elapsed between the two films. What happened in between? Why Leía and Solo hadn't got it on yet? Why did Obi Wan wait so long to apparate and tell Luke about Yoda? Lots of material there.

22. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Bit of a problem with the actors needed for that...

23. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

CGI for the win ;)

24. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I think I could handle a animation for the inbetween film stories (like Clone Wars), but not a live actioner with CGI actors...

25. Santino

This is the correct thread for this:

26. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

:hmm:

not convinced

27. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

I'm excited. Again.

ruffneck23 likes this.
  28. ruffneck23

im jealous

29. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

a summer release :confused:

that trailer looked like a TV episode of Star Trek

Ted Striker and ruffneck23 like this.
  30. ruffneck23