Soho Residence offers 'opulent gin parlour, a botanical feel and grown-up fun & late night partying

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Nov 19, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

God it sounds awful.

tim likes this.
  2. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Kinda sounds like a place where you strike poses in very expensive clothes with a very expensive drink in your hand, trying hard not to wish you were at home watching telly in your pants with a can of Special Brew.

MickiQ, gentlegreen, oryx and 4 others like this.
  3. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

I rather fancy going. It sounds fun.

4. 8ball

You're welcome round but you can bring your own fucking Special Brew.

MickiQ, Enviro, friedaweed and 14 others like this.
  5. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

Do you have shares?

6. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

What sounds awful about it? I’d kinda love Leeds to have somewhere with hanging plants and red velvet where you could drink gin. Theoretically, if I drank.

Wookey and dessiato like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just IMAGINE the kind of people who will be at this place.

jakejb79 likes this.
  8. dessiato

I'd love something like it here. Somewhere to sit with friends, drink or not, just a chilled late night place. The bars here are close, but tend to be very noisy.

9. 8ball

Glitterati, I believe.

I think the Leader of their Gang is still in the far East, isn’t he?

10. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Would you rather they turn up where YOU drink?

You diss these places constantly without realising the valuable service they provide you. Which is... condensing the assholes far away from you.

11. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

This sounds a bit like they gave an AI program details of the city's 100 trendiest bars and asked it to come up with its own.

Enviro, salem and editor like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What the hell is an "uncompromisingly restored space" anyway? What does that mean?

13. Gromit

In a Grand Designs language it means shall we buy the really nice taps we wanted? or get the perfectly good but cheaper ones?
    Give me really nice taps or give me death!!!!

friendofdorothy likes this.
  14. 8ball

Every so often you really hit the nail on the head :thumbs:

15. tim

tim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

gentlegreen likes this.
  16. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

I quite like hanging out in opulent surroundings with nice taps in the bogs tbh. The rich can fuck off if they think they get all the nice things.

17. salem

salem Well-Known Member

These places aren't always that expensive if you stick to regular drinks either. I had a couple of beers sitting outside the Dean Street Townhouse the other day - nice spot to people watch and a pint of Heineken was a fiver - not really more than you'd pay anywhere else in Soho. Similar sort of deal in the Hospital Club in Covent Garden. Not places I tend to make a habit of hanging out in but it's not all diamond encrusted champagne.

Reclaim the swanky bars!

Wookey, Edie and killer b like this.
  18. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Not sure if it helps my credentials but dinner was a £1.99 big mac and fries from McDonalds where the toilets didn't have nice taps and were an absolute mess and I was accosted by a man who was either smoking crack or had a crack flavoured vape which was a bit unsettling as I was on my own in there with him, still he ended up being a nice enough bloke even when I told him I had no change and we had a pleasant and brief chat.

But still, dinner and a swanky beer in Covent Garden for under £7 - that is getting on to Wetherspoons prices.

Wookey likes this.
  19. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

Cocktail bar, how original. Cocktails are for cunts anyway.

20. Wookey

Wookey Playful as a pussy cat

soho.jpg

They already have reviews on their website, before they've opened. :hmm:

friedaweed and editor like this.
  21. Gromit

Only four? I think your count is low.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm pretty sure you won't be getting a pint of Heineken or anything else at this place for a fiver -and that's already an almighty rip off price anyway.

23. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Don't drink but have admired the building and will go in to check out their resto.

24. dessiato

I like some cocktails. There's no hope for me, is there?

25. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

This is the place that was formerly the O Bar? Next to Village? I've ended up in there when it was one of the few places still open at 2am on a weeknight that isn't a shit club. The whole area is full of pretentious places though. It's entirely un-noteworthy in Soho these days.

This trendy obsession with Gin though. 'Gin Parlours' - WTF is that all about? Who even likes Gin this much?

Load of bollocks.

salem likes this.
  26. 8ball

Worse than Trump. :(

27. killer b

I'm surprised the gin wave hasn't broken yet, but it seems to be still growing in popularity year on year: I don't think you can even call it trendy anymore, it's mainstream. My local spar - hardly a litmus test of trendiness - now has a large selection of premium gins - probably more than the rest of the spirits they sell put together.

28. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

gins never really gone out of fashion has it, just waxes and wanes. Its deffo lost its 'old lady drink' tag it had a decade ago tho.

29. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Fancy gins seem like kind of a gateway drug - if I drink a bottle, am I going to find myself buying spats and moustache wax and drinking at somewhere called Godfrey Muttonchop's House of Peculiarities?

wayward bob, friedaweed and Edie like this.
  30. killer b

You're years out of date - as I said, fancy gin is mainstream now. My mate does an annual gin festival, and the attendees are far from hipster - just people who like getting pissed for the most part.