Soft launch parties for Off The Cuff - OTC Bar - in Herne Hill

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by OTCbarSE24, May 5, 2014.

1. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Growing up in Belfast, you used to get a choice of Guinness, Harp, Smithwicks or Carlsberg on draught and that was it. All cost the same as each other. I remember around then listening to Talk Sport and it was sponsored by Carling, which I thought sounded sophisticated. I thought Stella was very sophisticated when I first visited London.

2. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Anyway, all this beer talk is rather of topic.

Back to OTC. How late is it open now a days?

Greebo likes this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

From their site:
    MON-FRI: doors 4pm, Live Music 8pm-11pm
    SAT-SUN: doors 11am, Live Music till 11pm

4. friendofdorothy

The quest for an after hours drinking hole must continue then.

5. editor

editor hiraethified

How late? If you're after a regular pub that;s open past 1am, the Albert goes till 2am Fri/Sat and if you can handle a walk, the Royal Oak, 10 Clapham High St, SW4 7UT is open till 2.30am every night. I've not tried it yet, but it's now the latest pub-like place in the week. The Hand in Hand up Brixton Hill can go late sometimes too. My weekdays have never recovered since the loads of the Queens Head and the Grosvenor is sorely missed on weekends.

The all nighter’s guide to Brixton – local pubs, clubs and bars that stay open after 3am at the weekend

Where can you get a late drink in Brixton on a Thursday night?

Greebo likes this.
  6. friendofdorothy

This is a -bar-in-herne-hill thread - I meant a local Herne Hill after hours drinking hole, you know somewhere I can literally crawl home from. Somewhere I can can see the usual suspects that I know, but don't see much since demise of so many of the illegal places around here (yes that was a while ago). There is only the 127 and its usually a bit lively for me and none of the old crowd go there.

Most late places in Brixton have the problem of crowds and the need for ID, even the Hootahob and the Effra social. And I rarely see anyone I know there (- except your good self).

This isn't just about beer, or music even, it's about the company.

Greebo likes this.
  7. friendofdorothy

I heard a certain local artist say he might open a bar in one of his arches a while ago. Anyone heard anything more of this?

8. editor

editor hiraethified

I think you've got no chance on that, sadly. Even in Brixton there's no real late after hours pubs left in the week - that's why I'll probably end up in that boozer in bloody Clapham soon, and that will be awful.

9. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

London is rubbish for late night stuff. Someone needs to sort it out.

10. friendofdorothy

Its strange that 24hr licencing laws have in effect killed off late night drinking in a lot of places.
    Even the Florence which has a licence to 1am is often closed before then.

11. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Young people are getting more conservative.

12. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Drank by women and southerners?

13. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

Probably. Why?

14. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

And less able to afford beer and to live in places like Herne Hill. Pub drinkers are definitely getting more middle aged though I agree (generalising there obviously).

Winot likes this.
  15. editor

editor hiraethified

It was refreshing to see such a young crowd at OTC earlier this week but that was mainly due to the band that was playing.

16. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

If you see a pub selling Manns' Brown Ale, try it. It's only 2.7%, but is rich and flavourful in a way that other brown ales - especially what nowadays passes as Newky - isn't.

Greebo and friendofdorothy like this.
  17. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Not sure they are- now I spend more time with mid-late twenties lots are what would once have been radical, but just don't make a fuss about it. They go to each other's flats rather than being 'out' a lot too

friendofdorothy likes this.
  18. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

What's 127?

19. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

I don't suppose they can afford to go out, what with not being able to buy a pint of women's beer for under a fiver ...

equationgirl and editor like this.
  20. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I thought I read that young people are drinking less, taking fewer drugs etc.? Maybe they're just poorer though.

21. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Offy prices are similar but I can only recently afford to go to the pub... Very expensive for most young people i expect

22. friendofdorothy

127 Dulwich road. Bar/club open till very late some nights (sorry don't know hours) usually has bouncers and velvet rope outside at weekend, who are very welcoming. Has very loud music and attracts a mostly afro carribean crowd.

ska invita likes this.
  23. Nanker Phelge

Just checking your macho misogyny is still intact.

editor likes this.
  24. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

You've lost me but glad you think I'm macho

25. Nanker Phelge

No, I think you are a prick; a limp one, but that's beside the point.

Greebo and ddraig like this.
  26. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Some might say that in the context of your complaint you undermine yourself a little with your choice of insult.

wurlycurly likes this.
  27. Nanker Phelge

Some might say I chose it because of the context....

Greebo and editor like this.
  28. innit

innit c'mon, little life giver

Lots of young people are teetotal (about a third supposedly). I don't know about drugs. Mr innit works with stacks of grads and lots and lots of them don't drink, which he finds a challenge in arranging team events that all will find appealing.

gaijingirl and editor like this.
  29. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

did anyone goto the drum'n'bass night they'd advertised? Did it happen?

I agree with the sentiments in this thread on drinks prices, who can afford to go and drink?

30. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Dunno. Difficult to answer without resorting to anecdata or giving too much information about others I guess. But it strikes me that drugs are more mainstream now- they are in no way rebellious. Ditto quite a lot of things that used to be considered alternative lifestyles. Stuff that used to be a two fingers to the establishment coexists quite happily with a 9-5 (er, 9) corporate job