Soft launch parties for Off The Cuff - OTC Bar - in Herne Hill

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by OTCbarSE24, May 5, 2014.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

cunt's tea party.

2. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

3. editor

editor hiraethified

I don't want to pour scorn on their achievement, but it's worth noting that only two out of the five categories for Herne Hill managed to reach enough nominations, which would suggest that the awards were rather under-subscribed when it came to votes.

ddd.jpg

Another - even smaller and less well - place I know won one of these awards and apparently it's one of those things where you have to keep shelling out for things.

innit and Fingers like this.
  4. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

*obligatory hat joke *

aussw9, equationgirl, T & P and 2 others like this.
  5. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

To be fair to Time Out, I never saw any strings attached to their various competitions. We came third in one of their citywide things and were never even asked if we wanted to place an advert. Was all free promo.

6. editor

editor hiraethified

How long ago was that? You've certainly got to pay to attend for the 'awards ceremony'.

7. twistedAM

2013 but yeah it was a different competition and in conjunction with the Mayor's music office (who, before you start, do some half-decent work).
    Didn't know they were charging to go to the Awards bash for this one.

8. editor

editor hiraethified

I've 'won' quite a few awards in various capacities. Urban75 was once declared a 'superbrand' and found itself amongst the likes of Apple, BT, Rolls Royce and more and my place in their annual book was guaranteed - if only I forked out a ton of cash. No, ta.

9. twistedAM

Yeah and they're rigged too. I actually worked one poll hard a few years ago in NME and we failed to make the final five which was bullshit. We just didn't fit the criteria of the poll I guess. It's all about spreading the name of the brand hosting the awards; we got nominated for Time Out Locals Awards but knew we had no chance up against the Ritzy so I did one post on FB and went about my real work.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

I've been a judge on two fairly major awards and I'm happy to say that I think I put a spanner in the works for at least one of them when I thought an award was being given out as a favour rather than on merit. But I learnt that most of them are all bollocks anyway, and run with the primary aim of promoting the interests of the company sponsoring the awards.

11. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I will punch you in the face for £30 if you want. Offer open to all posters!

editor likes this.
  12. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Ps nobody is allowed to hit me back ;)

Pps unless they wear a silly hat

13. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

• Inappropriate Content
    If the offer is open to all posters as you say, I'll pay the £30 for you to punch him in the face.

Spymaster likes this.
  14. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Paying others to do your own dirty work. Tut tut.

ddraig likes this.
  15. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Outsourcing.

equationgirl and wurlycurly like this.
  16. salem

salem Well-Known Member

I've always been suspicious of that superbrands.

Their 2015 list includes the big names like Apple, BT, Rolls Royce. And then you have PolyPipe - www.superbrands.uk.com/polypipe a company which makes plastic pipes.

I'm maybe out of touch on which brands are cool but I'm guessing a few pipes were given in brown paper bags for that.

editor likes this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

I could have been a.....a..... SUPERBRAND!

equationgirl likes this.
  18. deadringer

deadringer meat pie sausage roll

Polypipe? Pah!

JG Speedfit all the way! For this DIY have-a-go plumber anyway....

discobastard likes this.
  19. editor

editor hiraethified

I went along to OTC last night and was very impressed. Local heroes Shame had pulled a big young crowd and were playing in the excellently kitted out back room (£3 entry) with acoustic sets in the front room (free admission). The new arch really is a good new live venue for the venue. The only downside: £5 a pint, FFS, although this time the staff were actually in the mood to serve people.

20. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Yeah, I've heard the place has turned around and some people I know have made it their regular weekend spot.

21. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Their calendar is absolutely rammed with acts. Hardly an unbooked night. Must be a keen promoter :)

22. editor

editor hiraethified

Looked and felt completely different to the last time I went. Good for them.

equationgirl and Maharani like this.
  23. editor

editor hiraethified

I chatted with the owner. And yes, he is very enthusiastic!

24. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Ex XFM dj now involved too.

Shame video launch was fun: shame

25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

That'll be why this thread's gone all quiet then! :D

teuchter and Badgers like this.
  26. editor

editor hiraethified

They're a bloody good band. I like the Alabama 3 connection too. Keeping the flame alive!

27. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I wonder what they've actually changed that has led to the angry mob deciding that they are ok after all.

Or was it that the angry mob decided they were wrong.

28. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

So have they given up on the annual subscription members only policy now?

I haven't attempted to go here since the early days of this thread when buscador was so offended by their PR that we decided to just not bother with them. Have they changed?

29. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Presume that is lager, any idea of what else they serve /bar prices? gin?

30. editor

editor hiraethified

It was like a totally different place. There was no cheese on display and no mention of membership fees. Instead of its early premise as an exclusive, members only affair, this was like a down to earth music bar with no pretensions. Great to have live acts in two rooms too.

I've no idea on the gin prices but I guess it's not going to be cheap.