Sodden walls/damp/mold in my room

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by ilovebush&blair, Nov 18, 2017.

1. ilovebush&blair

ilovebush&blair Well-Known Member

I rent a room in a shared house and recently I have noticed mold and mildew behind the bed, behind the wardrobe up the walls and the ceiling (the walls are sodden). I have noticed my books and clothes have also become moldy. When I reported this to my landlord he seemed concerned and said it was a problem with the guttering. I am moving out in a few weeks and he has just texted me to say it is due to condensation and suggested I open my window. I am worried that I won't get my deposit back is there anyone who can advise me on this problem.

2. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

lack of heating, ventilation, overcrowding can cause mold. Its a health issue for you, so I'm glad you are moving.

Your landlord would be unreasonable to charge you because of mold damage, especially if it is to do with penetrative water damage due to his lack of maintenance to guttering. Opening windows may help as will washing down surfaces with bleach or mold killer, but if walls are sodden it will take a long time to dry out. Your landlord may need dehumidifiers.

Your deposit should be protected by the deposit protection scheme and you should have been given details of this at the start of your tenancy, or else your landlord is acting illegally.
    Information For Tenants - Deposit Protection Service

3. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Speaking from a position of little real knowledge but if the walls are actually sodden, that is not condensation - it is a proper damp problem.

4. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

If he tries to withhold your deposit bill him for the replacement of your damaged books.

equationgirl and farmerbarleymow like this.
  5. ilovebush&blair

The walls are wallpapered so can't really wash them with bleach or mold killer

6. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Short term, dehumidifier will help. But it's down to landlord, not you.

friendofdorothy and rubbershoes like this.
  7. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Well, most of what we call damp is condensation.

Is your bedroom upstairs? Is the downstairs also suffering? Is the damp appearing on cold walls (external walls) only or also on warm walls (internal walls)?

Damp can be caused by a number of different things, it can be a penetrative as suggested, a leak etc, sometime rising damp. Generally though its most often caused by the nature of the building itself. Do you live in a Victorian (or similar) conversion? A huge amount of London housing stock is built with 9" solid brick. This was fine until we put central heating and double glazing in. As there is no cavity in the wall the external walls are cold and we all know what happens when warm air hits cold, it condenses. The dew point is on the internal face of the wall.

Short of putting external or internal insulation on the wall there isn't much that can be done. Move furniture away from the walls and allow it to breathe and dry out. Open windows whenever possible, don't dry wet clothes on the radiator. The dehumidifier is a good call, we used to run one continuously in and old flat, they're pretty low energy usage.

As long as you have reported it to your landlord and taken reasonable steps you shouldn't be charged because its an inherent fault in the property, doesn't mean they won't try but they shouldn't get away with it. Landlords, estate agents, people all looking to sell their houses will all be play shocked if there is any damp but they know full well because generally its been there for a long time. They just keep repainting.

8. ilovebush&blair

Oh yeah they fixed the heating and it was all OK. Even got my deposit back when I moved out