1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sod Photoshop

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by motsy, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

2. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Well, yes. I know most people will just use it to resize pics and up the contrast. But if you get under the hood it's fucking amazing. CS6 is much much better than 2 btw. Particularly in conjunction with Illustrator.

3. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

I use MicrografX picture publisher 10..It's fantastic.

4. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

Can't get CS2 to work on this PC, so I've had to resort to GIMP. It's ok I suppose, I have to Google every time I want to do something though. I've just grown so used to Photoshop.

Greebo likes this.
  5. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

GIMP here too. But prefer to just process and crop pics.

Greebo likes this.
  6. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I use GIMP v2.8 for Windows, because it does everything I want it to.

Greebo likes this.
  7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Photoshop is the standard photographic retouchers software for a good reason. Thats because its very good.

Although if you want to just do a crop, contrast and apply a few naff filters I can see why you think its overpriced.

The devil with photoshop is knowing how to use the more complicated aspects, channel masking etc... The martin evenings "photoshop for photographers" are a must have for anyone with a real interest in photographic retouching.

8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

I was advised by a 3D visualiser at a firm of interior designers to use GIMP (Now up to version 2.8 running on windows 8.1). It is OK for the very limited manipulations that I do. But needing to "export" instead of "save as" still catches me out once or twice, especially when I start a new batch of images* or someone distracts me. (*which will eventually end up on Ipernity).

9. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

For many years I used Ulead PhotoImpact which had been free from a magazine CD. When I bought my last computer it came with Photoshop Elements on it which is better than the very early version of PhotoImpact I used to use. I don't do very complex photo processing though.

10. Lord Hugh

Lord Hugh Multiply and

I use Picasa, because it has a really easy workflow for doing lots of photos, and works pretty well with raws.
    I also use LightZone when there's something more specific I want to do - it has some very interesting relighting options, and decent quality effects, plus you can apply any of the effects to certain regions either in space or in HSV/RGB! The workflow is a bit slower though: I can more-or-less get most basic changes I want using various options in Picasa, but when it's not quite getting there or I need something region-specific, I'll step over to LightZone.
    Woops should add that I use Gimp for anything which requires cutting pieces of the image like compositing, layers, etc.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  11. sim667

I'm quite lucky in that I teach photoshop so I know it very well. I wouldn't have it to the level I do without having to iyswim.

Has any one looked at the taylor James website? They do some fantastic retouching work, and have videos breaking down what they done

12. motsy

motsy PISSHEAD OF THE YEAR

I wasn't bad mouthing Photoshop. It's just that the lesser known but just as good apps don't get much of a mention but Xara have a good community and the beauty of using Paintshop Pro and XPGD is that you can transfer files between the two for phot editing (is the phrase 'touching up' a bit dodgy around here?

13. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Comparing PS to Xara is a bit apples and oranges. Xara is primarily a vector tool so comparible with Illustrator.

14. sim667

Retouching ;)

15. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

If you wanted as a total beginner to try cutting out and layering images but didn't want to buy photoshop (using a mac desktop) what would you go for .. this thing called Gimp ?

16. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

I use gimp on PC and it't great.

bimble likes this.
  17. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

As you're on a Mac you might want to look at Pixelmator as well as Gimp. It's not free, but for the next few days it's half price - $15.

bimble likes this.
  18. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Gimp is fine on a Mac. I use it fairly often for exactly that. Simple stuff only though.

bimble likes this.
  19. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

The free photoshop download mentioned earlier in this thread still works BTW.

bimble likes this.
  20. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Doesn't work on modern Macs, sadly. It's for PowerPC only.

21. weltweit

Pretty happy with Elements 9 here.

I use Hugin to stitch panoramas when I can get it to work how I want it.

Can't do HDR

And I can't do focus stacking.

22. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

You can either dual boot Snow Leopard or run it through a virtual window ( many options available to run virtual OS's) and use Rosetta to run CS2.

Snow Leopard is available for like 20 quid, either from ebay or Apple.

Bit faff on but CS2 is probably all you will need ever, good raw processing and has everything that the latest versions have, albeit in a clumsier workflow.

When I say clumsier, I don't mean bad by it, I should have said slower, take HDR type images for example, newer photoshop takes a folder of images and use an algorithm to blend them together, like a one click workflow, with CS you need to use layers to get that effect but you can end up with a far more nuanced final image by working at it, takes a lot longer to get their but the final image is not as plastic but it will have that, WTF factor.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  23. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

If you want to do HDR (and a whole lot more - for free) you could download the Nik Collection. It used to be at Google, but has now moved to DxO.

weltweit likes this.
  24. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

I'll just add this here, this is a photo, heavily processed in CS2 with layers that I won the monthly U75 competition with, it did open up a debate though, the original I over exposed on purpose so that I could get all detail into my layers and from that I erased parts of each layer and used the opaque setting to make the final image, so I used about 10 different edited raw pictures of the same shot to get the final image, if I had used a HDR algorithm, it would never look like that.

[​IMG]

Chilli.s, weltweit and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  25. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Probably not - and if weltweit ever shows a photograph here using any of those awful overblown HDR effects I'll regret my previous post.

fishfinger likes this.
  26. weltweit

It's ok, I don't like obvious HDR, when I can tell it is HDR then for me it is overdone :)

RoyReed likes this.
  27. weltweit

So snadge I am interested, you say you overexposed this originally, was there enough latitude in the RAW to get the detail back or am I missing something?