So, just how bad WILL a no-deal Brexit be?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by stuff_it, Sep 11, 2019.

1. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

SpookyFrank and Badgers like this.
  2. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

Refineries (threaded tweet)

Badgers, Bahnhof Strasse and A380 like this.
  3. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

I can’t wait till they get the strategic reserve of 50 steam locomotives out from that tunnel under the Mallen hills* and start running them on welsh steam coal from the ‘museum’ at Big Pit in Blienaven .

* they’ll have to move the crashed spaceship out of the way first obvs.

4. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Changing the title of a document that has already been leaked to make it sound better is so fucking amateur.

stuff_it, Badgers, Bingo and 2 others like this.
  5. TheHoodedClaw

As is the quality of the published document - it's wonky as fuck. Looks like somebody printed out a Word document, and then badly scanned each page individually to PDF

6. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Blaenavon.

Good try.

p.s. I remember them wanting to give me a VIP tour (of that very museum) but I was like sorry no time, now to business. I kind of regret it.

stuff_it, SpackleFrog and A380 like this.
  7. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

How many of the stockpiled body bags will be needed?

8. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

Of the names leave voters have been called, these have to be up there as the worst.

9. stdP

stdP I never learn.

Printing out and re-scanning a digital document is actually common SOP to make sure redactions really are unreadable. I've seen hilarious attempts at redactions where someone's merely drawn a black box over the text, not realising you could simply (re)move the box with the right software, and of course the text still being visible if you inspect the file contents.

10. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Yes, my mother in law is from there, and my father in law from Mountain Ash. They don’t do irony either...

11. TheHoodedClaw

Aye, I know, but a competent person would then scan using the feeder. This doc has the text squint on nearly every page, ffs.

I accept this is a minor thing but c'mon. :D

12. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

So no change?

Badgers, Poi E, Wookey and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Rosamund Urwin

@RosamundUrwin

·
    44m

"15. Facing EU tariffs makes petrol exports to the EU uncompetitive. Industry had plans to mitigate the impact on refinery margins and profitability but UK Government policy to set petrol import tariffs at 0% inadvertently undermines these plans. This leads to significant financial losses and announcement of two refinery closures (and transition to import terminals) and direct job losses (about 2000). Resulting strike action at refineries would lead to disruptions to fuel availability for 1-2 weeks in the regions directly supplied by the refineries."

spitfire likes this.
  14. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I was just pleased your mangled version had a V instead of an F tbh.

A380 likes this.
  15. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Section 15?

16. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

They've got an ironworks, haven't they?

A380 likes this.
  17. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

This was in the Times leak, word for word I think. What's the bleedin' point of redacting something that's already been published?

18. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

The effects of brexit are already malign. The pound's gone down the shitter; more employers are shutting down and leaving every day; the tax take is down £600 million a week; the extreme right feel emboldened by the vote with a consequent rise in hate crime; politics is broken and society seems coarsened at every level

Given all the foregoing, there are still many cheerleaders for brexit who see a messy crash-out as the unicorn-rich uplands of sovereignty and liberation. So, however dismal things get in Yellowhammer Land, there will still be a constituency that embraces it and fails to acknowledge its wretched effects.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Nylock, Badgers, kebabking and 5 others like this.
  19. Humberto

Humberto the same thing we do every night

We were told a new golden age was upon us. Just believe.

William of Walworth, A380 and MrSki like this.
  20. Humberto

Humberto the same thing we do every night

Boris is just so darned likeable though. The bumbling through gentle old soul. Let's give him an award. The people's vermin.

William of Walworth and A380 like this.
  21. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

Time to brush up on my foraging skillz

kebabking and A380 like this.
  22. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

oh, if anyone wants a laugh/to be made to vomit - here - is Claire Fix describing why she must support No Deal despite it being absolutely awful for everything she cares about (20 mins in)

23. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

This and what Kaka Tim posted earlier.
    Things can and would get even worse with No Deal. Due emphasis on 'even' though, because I do very much take the point that a lot of people already endure such utter shit that the idea it can get even worse is scarcely believable, and understandably.

isvicthere? likes this.
  24. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

No transfers of personal data will be disastrous. In the absence of the UK being declared by the EU a third country with an adequate level of protection of personal data, data controllers and processors in EU member states will have to cease the transfer of personal data to the UK, and probably from.

A380 likes this.
  25. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

The Times leak was the 'base case'. By this publication it had turned into a 'reasonable worst case'. Govt used the court order to apply some spin.

26. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Pointless word play that has no effect. Typifies governance at the moment.