SmugMug Buys Flickr

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by RoyReed, Apr 21, 2018.

1. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i'm too caned to make sense presently :oops: does it have any implications re rights?

3. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Not now, and they'd have to notify you if they were going to make any changes, but SmugMugs terms are OK re your photo rights. If you're worried you can read up here:

SmugMug Terms and Conditions
    What Does SmugMug's TOS Mean In "Regular Speak"?

wayward bob likes this.
  4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Was going to post this on the thread somewhere about Flickr.

Tbh at least it’s a photo site rather than a clueless net dinosaur or a holding company. They seem to have have a reasonable reputation too, even if they have the shittest name in the world.

5. mhendo

mhendo Aussie in San Diego

I've been a SmugMug member for four or five years now, and I really like the site. I hope this purchase doesn't change things too much.

6. FridgeMagnet

I don’t think a lot will change, at least not in the short term. Imagine the migration task to try to merge the two services, and how clunky the Flickr codebase probably is by now after years of neglect.

I could see shared sign-ons (they’ve already mentioned moving away from needing a Yahoo account, obviously) and some added tools. Not knowing SmugMug I don’t know which would be appropriate but if I was engineering it I’d look at things that could be relatively easily transplanted, taking the opportunity to develop a shared library.

7. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie You fooled all the people with magic

Just had a quick skim through their new privacy policy. Everything down to the size of your under crackers! :eek:

Flickr's Privacy Policy

8. FridgeMagnet

I think that’s just Flickr’s old privacy policy at a new URL. It still has references to Flickr.com urls and they say it’s not the same as SmugMug’s.

Note that it’s not GDPR compliant. Verizon (as Oath, their web property holding company) have basically said “fuck you EU sue us” with updated privacy policies recently, which is an interesting choice given that the EU has indeed been pretty willing to sue US tech companies.