Smoke and Mirrors: The Psychology of Magic – free exhibition at the Wellcome Collection, London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Apr 30, 2019.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

2. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

Ooh, would like to see that if I manage to get down to that London in time. :thumbs:
    Is that you in the first pic?

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

yeh editor's the one upside down

Lupa, editor and 8ball like this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

No, but it's my detachable hand in the second pic.

Lupa and S☼I like this.
  5. editor

editor hiraethified

Interesting thing I learnt: what your brain processes is actually 1/10th second in the past.

hash tag likes this.
  6. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

7. 8ball

That seems very quick for most people. :hmm:

Lupa and Pickman's model like this.
  8. 8ball

I hope they were grateful for your willingness to lend a hand.

9. hash tag

hash tag member

There are many excellent exhibitions on at the Wellcome. I will have to get my daughter down for this one.

10. hash tag

hash tag member

We saw Smoke and Mirrors and are still arguing about how the pen disappearing trick shown in the entrance was done; please help!!!

Found it interesting as to how we can be made to believe things things that do not actually exist, have not really happened...

11. 8ball

Or did you? :hmm:

hash tag likes this.
  12. hash tag

hash tag member

13. editor

editor hiraethified

I can't remember it now, sorry!

14. hash tag

hash tag member

15. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Mate of mine is in the Magic Circle and makes a decent living from magic, YouTube Ben Williams Magic to see him in action. The stuff he does is astonishing, but we never ask how it is done, as he acknowledges that once he tells you your response is, “Oh, that’s dull.”

hash tag likes this.
  16. hash tag

hash tag member

The smoke n mirrors is more about the psychology of it all and how they make you think you see something that isn't there. There are 3 or 4 things
    where they show you how the illusion is performed to demonstrate that what "happened" is in your head. A great exhibition. And when explained to you
    the obvious thing is oh, partly because you feel stupid because it is obvious and you should have known better. :)

17. UrbaneFox

UrbaneFox Car Cleaning Guru

Arthur Conan Doyle was a bit of a Count Arthur Strong know-all.:D

18. hash tag

hash tag member

ACD is covered in the exhibition. He who had fairies at the bottom of his garden etc.

19. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Ben also does mind-reading and all that shit too. Basically the fucker makes can plant a thought in your head and make you feel that you thought it.