Smithfield Market to close

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Crispy, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

This had been mooted back in August, but the CoL have now bought the old Barking power station site, where they will amalgamate the already-deported Billingsgate and Spitalfields markets with Smithfield, creating a single wholesale market for veg, fish and meat.

Smithfield market has been London's meat market for over 800 years.

Expect restaurants and bars out the wazoo.

spitfire likes this.
  2. spitfire

spitfire Toast

So Billingsgate is on the move as well?

Be a shame to lose Smithfields to more "destination" wankery.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I used to work right next to the place and being veggie it was never a great place to tarry but I'm sure the hipster/lifestyle/urban living hell that's going to replace it will be infinitely worse.

4. Crispy

Yep, the Poplar site will close, as will New Spitalfields in Leyton.

The Western part of Smithfields is already going being turned into the new Museum of London, so it's possible some other institutional use will be made of the other two buildings.

spitfire likes this.
  5. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Crikey, that will free up some space for more towers. It's a big place.

It is a bit run down though.

6. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Makes sense to wholesale food out of central London I guess. Be a shame in some ways though.

7. Crispy

The buildings themselves are listed, at least.

Manter likes this.
  8. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

It's interesting to think Crossrail is so big - and the platforms so long - it will have entrances/exits either side of the market, well NW and East.

9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

on the other hand pubs opened at 5am

Spymaster and littleseb like this.
  10. Pickman's model

"destination wankery" is how it will be known

Spymaster and spitfire like this.
  11. The Fornicator

12. Crispy

There will be an entrance to the station from the Western end of the platforms at Barbican station, even (which means you could get off a crossrail train at Farringdon, and then catch a circle line train to... Farringdon).

13. The Fornicator

It could become quite the thing working out which end of the Elizabeth Line train to get on/off ..

14. Pickman's model

fortunately there will be signs on the platform to assist in your onward journey

15. Pickman's model

further to my previous post if people can manage with stations like seven sisters, aldgate east, oxford circus, victoria and so forth it should present no difficulty to the seasoned traveller.

16. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

[​IMG]

Pickman's model likes this.
  17. Pickman's model

the london sign being particularly apposite

18. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

London / Massachusetts.
    Got the cheapest sign writer in again :rolleyes:

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. TruXta

TruXta tired

Not London, Ontario?

20. The Fornicator

As a seasoned traveller and so forth, you are so clueless.

21. Pickman's model

it's this sort of nonsense without any attempt to explain why you feel this which has led to the unenviable reputation you enjoy today.

22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I dunno. It's only moving out of town and I've often thought that a massive wholesale meat market in the middle of The City could be put to better use. Personally I'd rather see a load more bars, pubs, and restaurants there.

23. TruXta

TruXta tired

Fuck that, social housing the lot of it.

QueenOfGoths and friedaweed like this.
  24. spitfire

spitfire Toast

It'll be horrible, bland and soulless though.

25. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Lovely buildings. I hope they keep the frontage when it becomes a collection of fuckwittery stores. I used to bike past there every day.

26. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It doesn't need to be but at the moment it's horrible, grim and soulless, and only used by a small section of a single industry that could thrive perfectly well elsewhere. It's not even a public market. Repurposing business buildings/districts has been part of every city's history forever. It's part of their progress and how they flourish.

27. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I quite like it the way it is. I know you're right about the repurposing of areas, I've been complicit in "repurposing" several areas. Brixton, Peckham and Bethnal Green for example. But I hold out very little hope in this being interesting or even having interesting hipster stuff. It'll be another coalyard.

Glad to be proved wrong. Having a museum there is a good start to be fair.

28. Crispy

The poultry market could be a really good event space. Lovely 50s vaulted ceiling.

7895144858_4e8bc18884_c.jpg

29. The Fornicator

Trouble is there's well-established templates, particularly a mile away at Spitalfields. Like it or not, posh retail/market produces significant footfall (and employment) over weekends in otherwise deserted financial districts.

30. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I've heard that there's permafrost underneath it. Apparently it was also found under Billingsgate and the authorities bottled defrosting it in case of disease. Maybe we'll get lucky and a whole load of gentrifiers will get Anthrax :thumbs:

jakejb79 likes this.