1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smiley culture update

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by AndyCam, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/12/smiley-culture-trial-stabbed-himself

ddraig likes this.
  2. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

dodge
    sorry to be thick but what do they mean by pathological grounds?

3. Fozzie Bear

forensics/scientific

4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

thanks

5. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

^^ It's the study of disease.A stab wound to the heart is probably a stretch of the definition.

6. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

i doubt the police stabbed him seems unlikey shot by accident beaten kicked to death likely.
    They still fucked up smiley should have been cuffed not allowed near sharo stabby things.
    Probably thought they had it all under control:(

7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

on the balance of things that are likely I'd take police stabbing him over him stabbing his ownself.

how else could it happen? by magic flying knives?

Nigel and Wilson like this.
  8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

What is the jury being asked exactly?

9. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

It depends on how out of it he was. But yeah still not believing the police version of this.

10. likesfish

i could see him getting stabbed in a struggle but the idea that a copper would just stab him out of the blue doesnt ring true either.
    Cops kill the mad and the drunk when restraint crosses the line or fucking up with guns not stabbing people.
    But nobody is going to belive somebody just stabbed themselves its a bit of a wtf moment.

11. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Cause of death I would think, same as any other inquest.

From wiki

12. Fozzie Bear

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/inquest-hears-‘smiley-culture-stabbed-himself’

:confused:

The article also points out that Emmanuel had been smoking weed, but presumably not as much as the copper who didn't notice he had a huge fucking knife sticking out of his chest until it was too late.

13. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

In context 'pathological' means concerned with the physical cause of death. He's just saying that, taken in isolation, the nature of the stab wound neither confirms nor rules out the possibility of the wound being self-inflicted.

salem likes this.
  14. Fozzie Bear

15. likesfish

Once had someone drag an unconcious body past hostel reception desk of sombedy who had od'd in his room.
    Took moments for my brain to compute what I'd just seen.
    i can see that happening if what the police say actually happened because you dont expect somebody to stab themselves in the chest.

16. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Majority verdict.

Returning the verdict, the jury foreman said: "David Victor Emmanuel took his own life. "Although the tragic events... were unforeseeable, giving one officer the responsibility of supervising Mr Emmanuel and, at the same time the premises search book, was a contributory factor in his death."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23146121

17. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

:(

So, no ticking off for the police then? No further action?

I reckon the police fucked up and Smiley got stabbed in the struggle. Majority verdict isn't unanimous is it - serious element of doubt.

18. ska invita

majority is 10/2 i think? less than 10 doesnt count as a verdict - thats what happened when i was on jury service

19. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I attach no credence to this story but I have heard it from two people: one from London and one from Wolverhampton, and both what you might call deeply knowledgeable of what goes on in the local black communities. It was that Smiley Culture had a thing going with some corrupt police where he was given confiscated cocaine to sell back onto the streets and that he would have probably told the whole story if he had been arrested.

He was never an innocent. As far back as '92, he was known for carrying guns and everyone knew, unofficially, of his involvement in the coke business.

It just offers another possibility to how/why he died.

ska invita likes this.
  20. ska invita

though if he was going to get killed by corrupt police why do it at a raid?

21. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I'm not sure of the finer points but, it was said, the police who were doing the raid were not his suppliers. How the final scene worked out, I don't know. The story is full of holes, maybe, but it seems to be the word on the street from people who usually know these things.

ska invita likes this.
  22. ska invita

i can see that - bent copper has a last minute chance to get off the hook....

Sirena likes this.
  23. Fozzie Bear

24. barney_pig

barney_pig Po-cha-na-quar-hip

25. where to

where to Well-Known Member

Easier to smear him as incredible witness etc etc, surely ?

26. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Just read an article in Private Eye about Smiley Culture being hired by The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) to record a promotional song... TBH this completely went by me at the time, but I notice that he mentions it in an interview with The Guardian six months before his death:

TEAS is:

Etc, etc.
    Bizarre.

27. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

Lest We Forget

Nigel likes this.