Smashing interviews.

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by mrs quoad, May 8, 2018.

1. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

I have an interview tomorrow.

It's the first one in about 5 years.

I have prepared some stuff, though it is still evolving. (It needs to devolve by two minutes, tbf. The required presentation is ten mins. I'm cutting it fine at 11:30).

I have also bought some new trousers. They are grey. They do not have holes in.

(My other pair of trousers has a hole in. My tartan blue shorts did not have a hole in them. My wife thought I shouldn’t go to interview in blue tartan shorts, though.

And then they picked up a hole this evening anyhows. So that’s that, then.)

On recommendation, I have also googled “Charlie sheen tiger blood.”

Some of his strategies appear useful.

Have you any other recommended viewing?

Spud is the obvious.

(But I'm all out of phet.)

A380 and Mumbles274 like this.
  2. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Spud was trying *not* to get the job, remember :D

3. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Think before you answer. Give one really good example. Be concise. Relax and enjoy it once you’re in there!

You’ll smash it. Good luck mate :) x

4. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Don't tell them your urban username

5. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Only the standard shit, know something about the company/organisation, it makes them think you're actually interested in the job, If you have questions prepare them before hand and rehearse them so you don't look like you're fishing for something to say, make sure your phone is off, dress smartly (sounds like you're doing that), smile, be polite, get a good nights sleep so you're alert.
    Answer all questions honestly but don't volunteer what you're not asked for.

weltweit, mx wcfc and Pickman's model like this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Yeh quoad make sure you have a couple of questions to ask them

7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

take biscuit with you

:p

hope it goes well

8. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Ask them what they can do for you, and why you should work for them

9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Don't gesture or fidget

10. mrs quoad

The head and deputy head of dept dislike dogs.

It’s a no dog department. That’s the policy.

nogojones likes this.
  11. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

We are recruiting at the moment. Interviewed someone last week. Candidate was a bit too inexperienced, and was below the grade we were looking for. Nice enough person, but not suited for the role. We worked that out after about 10 mins.

Anyway, she was very well prepared. "Where will the organisation be in five years time?". "Why did you choose to work here, and why did you stay?" All good questions, but you can be over confident!

12. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

Take Nigel problem solved

13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

[​IMG]

equationgirl and Enviro like this.
  14. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Depending on how confident you feel at the end, you might like your last question to be "how well do you think my fit is with this job?"

Be aware that if they answer honestly you have an opportunity to counter any negatives they may have, if that is you can think quickly ...

Enviro likes this.
  15. mx wcfc

Just don't expect a decision on the spot, or worry if you don't get one. The standard closing at my place is "well, we have a number of candidates that we are interviewing and will invite a shortlist back for a second interview soon"

That is bollocks, incidently. We have very few candidates and are really struggling to recruit the right person.

Bahnhof Strasse and mrs quoad like this.
  16. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

If the people interviewing you have LinkedIn pages, check them out, could give you a subject for smalltalk.

And what do people think about the post interview thank you email? I always send one assuming I have managed to get the right email addresses.

ElizabethofYork likes this.
  17. mx wcfc

and, if you, the candidate, have a social media presence, lock it down and clean it up!

I once interviewed a guy who had a pic of himself doing a moonie on his fb page. he also had a very uncommon name, so it wasn't hard to find him. Jeremy Ponsonby-Smythe or something similar. We ended up giving the job to his gf.
    We don't check Urban though. LinkedIn, FB, twatter, certainly. You have to expect that these days, shite as it is.

Weltweit's advice is good though.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    MickiQ likes this.
  18. mrs quoad

I appear to have the shits #rofl

19. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Good luck!

mrs quoad likes this.
  20. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

Good luck today!

mrs quoad likes this.
  21. mrs quoad

For the sake of completeness, I should probably add that I already work here.

It was suggested I apply, to demonstrate interest in permanence; I then realised it was completely nuts to apply, but did so anyway; I then got shortlisted; I then realised that actually I DO have something to offer (duh) and would really quite like the post; and so now I’ll be disappoint if I don’t get it.

22. fuck seals

fuck seals Well-Known Member

You should contrast your desire for permanence with the ethereal transient lifespan of your shits ...

Puddy_Tat and mrs quoad like this.
  23. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I find it particularly difficult when being interviewed where I am already working. Partly because I find it difficult to play up my skills and experience when sitting opposite people who have witnessed me gaining those skills and experience. Not because I would be lying or exaggerating, but just because it is embarrassing. It is embarrassing because you could be saying you are better than them. In fact, you kind of have to give that impression, I suppose :)

it is also difficult to tell the whole story of a relevant anecdote which you are using as an example, when the people opposite you were there, or have heard about it anyway, or know the people involved....

You have got to try and imagine that they don't know you, and to treat it as if you are strangers.

But do try and enjoy. I have found the best interviews are the ones where the anxiety and nerves dissipate as I sit down, and I relax and am positive. Doesn't happen often, that one, but enough to have kept me in work for a while :D

24. mrs quoad

Tbf, I think I have some advantages here, insofar as I’ve recently moved from another dept, I'm 80% research (and this is a teaching post), and the 20% of teaching I do is mostly for the half of my current dept that I’m not applying to.

So i know a lot of people, but they don’t know my work. If that makes sense?

(Or they don’t know my work, but the managers know my feedback. Which has been pretty darned good.)

Guineveretoo likes this.
  25. mrs quoad

Shit meself in the first two mins of my presentation, not least bc it’s a post with an emphasis on teaching from lived experience, so I opened with 3mins of crack abuse, squatting and serious mental illness in front of a room of academics who I do at least know.

Very generous audience tho!

26. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I know it's too late for you now quad, but for anyone else reading this thread in the future, make sure to give the right first impression by standing tall and confident

ad-composite-power-pose.jpg

A380, Puddy_Tat, Edie and 6 others like this.
  27. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Javid in particular looks like he's wet himself.

Edie, Fez909 and Slo-mo like this.
  28. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Stuff your interrogators' mouths with rolls. Tasty homebaked rolls.

Slo-mo likes this.
  29. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Winter is going......

We have many lived experience academics in universities here. It's a recognised career pathway. I really hope you get it :) being able to be truly authentic and vulnerable within a LE roll..well it really adds qualitative date to the quantative. And when this happens it fires up people's mirror neurons and creates real empathy. It turns out better workers.

30. mrs quoad

This was actually one of the questions. Not saying that the audience was non-hostile, or anything, but the first q after my presentation (after a pause) was “if you get the post, will you carry on bringing in bread?”