Smart Casual?

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Maggot, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Up to you! I think it veers too much into casual BUT you can prob get away with it provided said items are clean and fairly new.

Orang Utan likes this.
  2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I think I'll get away with wearing what I wore when I worked in schools, which was usually a normal plain collared shirt, with coloured cords. Needs to get some plain keks too. I swore I'd never wear chinos though.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  3. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

That is a very good rule indeed :)

4. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

The common trend seems to be jeans with a shirt and jacket.

Orang Utan likes this.
  5. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

I wear - and wore for interview - smartish black trousers with no crease, scuffed to fuck brown shoes, button down collar shirts with no tie and jumpers over the top. Looks smart but you don't feel hemmed in and over fancy.

Orang Utan likes this.
  6. S☼I

Very easy to get wrong. I couldn't do it and would feel uncomfortable wearing jeans for work even on an own clothes or training day.

7. Orang Utan

this for work, rather than an interview - I have a permanent job starting in the new year, so it has to be something I'm happy with wearing all the time.

8. S☼I

My thinking was as it was a TA job I didn't want to look too much like a teacher or Someone Important cos I knew I'd be meeting some children.

Orang Utan likes this.
  9. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

I just wear a suit. I'm very boring I have three suits, grey and blue a black. Six shirts, three blue and three white. I don't want to think about what I need to wear when I go to work.

10. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Start off slightly on the smart side then you can relax it as you get to know the place. Your school get-up sounds fine.

Good luck with the new job!

Orang Utan likes this.
  11. S☼I

Orang Utan likes this.
  12. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Smart casual is a spectrum. At one end, everyone agrees, is suit-without-a-tie. The other end though, is *anything* above true casual, and few workplaces really mean that.

Sportswear is out. No trackies, leggings, shorts or vest tops. Nothing with word printed on it. Patterns (other than pinstripes) may be questionable. Nothing with holes in or stains on. Hoodies and sweatshirts are highly borderline (plain jumpers are fine). Trainers also on the borders, but if they're dark in colour, not too ratty, and are suede finish they are easier to get away with. Generally speaking, dark colours look smarter than light ones.

Maggot, Orang Utan and S☼I like this.
  13. Orang Utan

Hah, you will only ever see me in tracksuit bottoms when I'm running.