Smart Casual?

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Maggot, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I have a job interview next week, and it says Dress Code: Smart Casual.

I really don't know what this means, isn't it an oxymoron?

I have a smart suit which I wear for interviews etc, and the rest of my clothes are completely casual - jeans, trainers etc. What should I wear and do I need to buy more clothes?

2. elfman

elfman 罗斯

Its like not a suit but not coming with trackie bottoms or holes in you shoes.

Maybe just a shirt, nice jeans and some clean non-sporty trainers or shoes?

3. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

You should wear the suit to the interview. Smart casual is casual shirts, polo shirts, chinos etc

4. 8ball

8ball Most Ignoreable Poster 2016

Wear a suit with no tie and non-shiny shoes.

S☼I likes this.
  5. Mapped

Mapped London town

I always wear a suit to an interview. In the job I'm in now I wear t shirts and trainers to work, but I wore a suit to the interview.

I'm going to a 'smart casual' thing tonight and apparently to these people 'smart causal' means wearing a suit with no tie.

6. Yelkcub

Yelkcub Well-Known Member

7. hammerntongues

hammerntongues Well-Known Member

Smart/casual covers too wide an area , best off wear the suit no tie . better to be slightly overdressed than the other way around some peoples smart casual may well exclude jeans smart or not .

good luck with the interview btw

Greebo likes this.
  8. elfman

elfman 罗斯

I've never worn a suit to an interview. I just don't like the things. I've done shirt and tie. Maybe what I wear to interviews is smart casual??

9. Yelkcub

Yelkcub Well-Known Member

If you are unsure, where a suit and a shirt and tie. You're not going to be bounced for being too smart.

10. Pingu

Pingu Credo

yeah interview = suit if not 100% sure you can get away with something else

11. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

Your smart suit won't cut it without a pair of dark framed glasses.

And they have to be dark framed because you want people to notice them and be impressed with how intelligent you must be.

[​IMG]

Quartz and Maggot like this.
  12. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

When I think of smart casual those blokes off Made in Chelsea spring to mind.

Blue jeans, white or blue shirt, sports jacket, floppy hair.

13. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

I always saw smart casual as wearing shirt but with no tie, presentable trousers (jeans acceptable as long as not too baggy, preferably dark coloured and no rips / tears) and clean, smart shoes.

If in doubt, wear the suit; no point going in underdressed and then realising all the other candidates have come smart.

You could always bring a tie with you and then see how the other candidates have dressed.

14. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

There you go: sorted:

[​IMG]

15. Maggot

Yuk! I don't think i have any of those. Actually I do have some white shirts.

I have the some smart trainers which should be ok. Just checked and I've found a brown cord jacket.

It's just the trousers which are the problem: I have some black jeans, but they are rather faded.

16. Maggot

:D

I would rather die than wear a smart shirt and jacket with blue jeans.

17. London_Calling

Don't wear a cravat though, that'd be over dressing.

Seriously though, out there in the non-Urbanz, real world, that is 'smart casual' to a lot of people. Personally, I think it means clean shoes as well, but that might be a 40+ thing.

18. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I'm not recommending it! Sorry, on my phone so smilies lacking in my post. : )

Maggot likes this.
  19. spawnofsatan

spawnofsatan Down by the river

Just wear some Stone Island or CP Company.

20. monsterbunny

monsterbunny Well-Known Member

Smart casual is a fucking minefield. It can mean anything. I usually get it totally wrong so I'm probably not qualified to offer advice. Good luck with the interview whatever you decide to put on.

21. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Bermuda shorts with a crease ironed into them.

22. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

I do that every day for work. Whenever I'm asked what the dress code is at the blacking factory I explain that it's essentially Clarkson.

stuff_it likes this.
  23. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Suit, no tie. Can't go wrong with that.

24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I am on the

Voley and Pickman's model like this.
  25. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Wagon? Case? Blob?

26. London_Calling

27. Maggot

Train?

28. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Just been told that I need to dress smart casual for my job and that does sound like a minefield, as mentioned upthread.
    I can do smart and I can do casual, but smart casual just sounds like an oxymoron. I am going to veer towards smart rather than casual, so shirts and trousers, but not a suit. Are cords and a patterned shirt too casual though?

29. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Well-Known Member

Yes I'm afraid so. One or the other paired with a smarter item of the other one would be fine but not both together.

30. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Hmm. I like that combo.