1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small and cheap venues in London to put on a night

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Sherlock51, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Sherlock51

Sherlock51 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Hope you're all grand. Just had a quick question. Does anybody know of any cheap and small venues I could contact in London with an aim to put on a night?

Planning on getting some DJs together and putting on a UK hardcore night. Thought I'd check with the Urbanite community to see if you could suggest anywhere!

Thanks as always xx

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you're looking to put the night on for a weekend you're going to find it really hard to get anywhere 'cheap.'

3. Sherlock51

A mate from afar mentioned a place in Manor House which is free, though it's a huge venue and I still need to speak to them.
    Looking for somewhere small, happy to fork say £100 out or whatever (this is going on Newcastle prices circa 2006, no idea what costs are like London-way ha!)

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How late do you want to go? There's places that rent out floors (like the Dogstar in Brixton) but they often expect a minimum bar spend, or charge a fair chunk given that they could fill it themselves with their own DJs.

5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

lots of people put on late dj things at mascara bar in stoke newington, not too far from manor house... it is pretty small, must be cheap if not free. think they have decks too, a sound system for sure.

6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

there's a load of warehousey type places round manor house but you probably need to know people involved in them (I don't)

7. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

orr, approach some of the bars in dalston with the idea and they might pay you to do it! this probably requires more time and effort investment tho

8. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Thread title belongs in the new jokes thread

editor and Sherlock51 like this.
  9. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Crossbones were doing a hardcoreish night earlier in the year at Shelter, Dalston/De Beauvoir

They might be receptive. Did it use to be the Russian Club? If so it's small and that's in your favour.

10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

it is the old russian club/512. the first night they did crossbones had the basement and there was cheesy house in the main room which was weird but good, basement was small but not tiny... they next one they had the main room i think. it wasnt just hardcore"ish", it was full on doom rave!

11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

thank you for mentioning literally the only club night i have been out to in the last 2 years or so as well, it makes me look very hip ha

12. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

another one in Stoke Newington worth contemplating is The Others.

13. Sherlock51

Cheers for the responses guys! Will be picking up the phone later today :-D

14. Sherlock51

Also I may make a new thread but if any of you lot are DJs and like playing UK hardcore/Makina/Gabba/Speedcore give me a shout!

15. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I could about a half hour set with my old records ha. (some doom, some death chant stuff, and some speedcore).... however I would feel like i was taking dj time away from someone who was more knowledgeable.

i'm assuming i'd get kicked out if i played any happy hardcore

16. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

17. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Yes with DJ Floorclearer afterwards :D

18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

oh you want to play the set before me? yeh sure

19. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

I lived in one of those places, right near manor house tube, lots of big warehouses but all are live/work spaces, very tight-knit community, you won't have much of a chance unless you know some-one who has a bit of "weight" behind them and even then it'll be a challenge!

rutabowa likes this.
  20. Sherlock51

Alright guys. Just booked Mascara Bar in Stoke Newington. It's going to be on the 23rd of June. House, UK hardcore, Makina, Gabba and Speedcore. Will be doing a flyer and promo and try and get it shared on here with admin approval! x

littleseb and rutabowa like this.
  21. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

Vogue Fabrics Dalston
    Shelter
    Bar 512
    Souls
    Moth Bar

22. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

ohh cool, I hope it goes well, i feel slightly responsible now ha. will do my best to make it!!

23. Sherlock51

Yep. All your fault ;) The whole thing is being done on a shoestring and they were sound there, only a £50 deposit.

Anyway I've got some banging DJs on and organising some decent visuals, should be alright! :D x

24. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

it's in my diary, it'll be good to have a local night doing this!! Might I also recommend flyering it at the next installment of this night which is nearby and not long before: Distant Planet (see last few posts in thread)
    put on by Moronik who posted on this thread.

Sherlock51 likes this.
  25. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

Hiya!! Yeah this should be a banger. We got a great room for raving and some very interesting interactive visuals!!

rutabowa likes this.
  26. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've kind of given up on London for running events. Its a bastard to find somewhere, expensive and a bastard to flyer.

27. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

Its true, getting people out is horrendously difficult :/

sim667 likes this.
  28. sim667

We've been waiting to hear back from a place in Brighton, but they've gone dark on us. We have some of their funktion 1 drivers though, so I'm sure they'll get back in contact.

All the urban people who run nights should get together and run a mega rave.

Sherlock51 likes this.
  29. Sherlock51

I'd happen to agree with that! As far as a mega rave is concerned, I'd jump in and get involved in that in five seconds. Could even look into renting some land somewhere or renting off a landowner and having a huge party in the country somewhere

30. sim667

Doing them outside its a whole different kettle of fish.....

We're planning a 2 day outdoor for next year..... so much stuff to think about