1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slides need scanning, how and what.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by ramjamclub, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ramjamclub

ramjamclub Banned Banned

I have about 6000 slides and want to scan the best slides for working with photoshop. Any advice and tips welcome.

2. lighterthief

lighterthief Well-Known Member

I've used an Epson V750 recently with good results - handy for slides and medium format negs amongst other things. Unfortunately these things do not come cheap.

3. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

4. hippogriff

hippogriff Imposter

How many of the 6000 do you want to scan? I've got a dedicated 35mm film scanner (although it's quite old now) and scanning is not a quick process - lots of options to play with to get a good scan, before you even get as far as photoshop. Not to mention the dust that will show up in the scan if you don't have a scanner posh enough to remove it auto-magically.

The alternative is to pay to have the slides scanned commercially - a quick google shows straightforward scanning around 30-40p per slide or closer to £1 a slide for scanning with digital dust & scratch removal.

It all depends on how much spare time you have got, and how much your time is worth

5. ramjamclub

ramjamclub Banned Banned

I reckon that about 10% of the slides are worth scanning.
    Has anyone compared a flat bed scanner with adaptor to a stand alone neg/slide scanner. What are the min resolutions for scanning slides? Time is not a problem

6. hippogriff

hippogriff Imposter

If you want to learn far too much about the pros and cons of scanners go to photo.net and do a search on the subject :)
    Personally although I wouldn't use a flatbed for 35mm, I do use one for 6x6cm. It's not only to do with the number of pixels, it's to do with the density range? you can get. There might be another more scientific word for the density range thing; I can remember that it's measurable, but I can't remember what's a good number. I do remember that scanner manufacturers lie about what their products achieve so you need to read independent reviews.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus