1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleepless Brixton - local residents launch campaign in response to boozy, shouty Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

In Brixton its not people getting pissed so much as now it's 24/7.

As I said before I grew up in Docklands of Plymouth. A lot of drinking and pubs. But pubs closed afternoon and at 11. Same with central Brixton when I was first there.

The liberalisation of licensing laws later on was supposed to reduce binge drinking. It was said it would bring in southern Mediterranean drinking. Bring more freedom for people to get a drink or a coffee at all times of day. People won't feel under pressure to to get one last drink before closing time.

Didn't work in this country. Extending licensing hours hasn't worked that way. I remember trying to get a coffee in a bar in Brixton late night. To be told they don't do that after 9pm.

It's a different drinking culture here. Relaxing licensing hasn't changed it.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

That's because (IMO as a Spaniard) alcohol is treated in this country as a de facto controlled drug, the very selling of which requiring a licence and checks as if one was dealing in fucking plutonium.

In the Continent alcohol (to be consumed on the premises) is sold everywhere without hussle, stigma or outrage. From inside supermarkets to parks and commons to even petrol stations. Children are allowed to be around it and local bars are no different to grocery stores or other shops. Bars are in every other street corner just like any other small commerce, their frontage fully open and inviting where anyone can pop in for a quick small beer and be on their way within five minutes- no different from popping in to buy a bag of apples.

In here you could also go in for a quick half and leave of course, but it just doesn't feel that way- in here walking to a pub for a drink it feels like a commitment to have a few drinks. Why are there no unpretentious small outlets in parks and commons selling alcohol, like they do in just about everywhere in Western Europe? Can the British really not be trusted?

3. Gramsci

I remember being at a local neighborhood meeting where it was suggested entertainment venues be spread over a wider area. So that residents in central Brixton didn't have to have it concentrated where they live. It's the concentration of it in one area that causes problems. We were told
    the Council's (unofficial) policy was that central Brixton was an entertainment zone. They didn't want it spread more evenly over a larger area.

So yes this was an intentional policy of Council.

4. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

didn't you ever do that? was it just me? I remember it being great fun - but that was 30+ yrs ago (on a tues down an rather empty City Rd wheeeeeeeee!)

That said I'm not keen when people make a din on otherwise quiet streets. I did lean out of my bedroom window to a ask a group of young women to keep it down at 3am. Why did they need to shout down the street to find each other when they all have phones ffs. Yes I'm a grumpy old git too now... and get up at 6am weekdays.

I know there are a ton of new bars /restraunts/etc - but surely electric ave/ coldharbour lane/brixton rd were always near noisy late pubs/bars/clubs? Are there a lot more late licences mid week now?

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but your post struck a chord with my Saxon sensibilities. For several years the only place one could buy tinnies of Crest (a 10% lager brewed by Charles Wells & Co in Bedford) was in French, Spanish or Italian supermarkets (since English off-licences get harassed by local councils for selling it apparently).

Breaking news - Charles Wells brewery assets have now been acquired by Marstons. So will we even be able to have a surreptitious can of Crest after viewing the Bayeux Tapestry I wonder?

Martons do brew strong beer - but the only commonly available one I can cite is called "Old Empire" - 5.7% ABV draft in some Wetherspoons, and bottles in Tescos and Morrisons.

6. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

:D Yeah, sorry. I appreciate it's not a solution to the difficulty of finding an affordable venue in the best area.

sealion likes this.
  7. Rushy

Haven't things been moving a little more British youth binge style in Spain?

8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Funnily enough a friend was telling me just yesterday how she'd visited her parents childhood town for the first time in ages for the annual festivities, and was dismayed at the level of 'English-styled' drunkness and rowdy behaviour displayed by the local youth. So perhaps you're right... :(

9. Gramsci

See my previous posts. It wasnt always the case. There are a lot more late licenses.

Plus places that open as restaurants are increasingly running late night bars on weekends. The chip shop and wahaca are recent examples.

It all adds up. Its the over concentration in one area. Appeals to Council to spread it over larger area are opposed by Council.

colacubes likes this.
  10. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Almost makes you proud

wurlycurly likes this.
  11. Rushy

I think it was Rachel Heywood who championed a campaign to implement a Special Saturation Policy to control late night drinking related nuisance on Clapham high street.

This is from a letter to the head of licencing from the Met Police in 2011:

Having learnt nothing, the council then go and actively encourage exactly the same kind of thing in Brixton.

sealion, Gramsci and colacubes like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Pop Brixton and Brixton Beach are all about the drinking and they can accommodate a lot of boozers, seven days a week. Then there's the Blues Kitchen, Barrio, Rum Kitchen, Turtle Bay etc and all the other cocktail shunting bars that have opened up in recent times attracting huge numbers of tourists looking for a boozy night out on the town.

13. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I'm regularly woken up by loud conversations on the street from pissed-up locals of all ages/classes. My personal bugbear is cars with extremely loud music blaring out - usually R&B. I recently had to complain to Milk & More because their delivery guy would leave his car engine running with the stereo on at full blast when delivering milk at 4am. :mad::facepalm::oops:

T & P likes this.
  14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Occasionally I can feel the vibrations from cars playing ultra loud music whilst stopped at the lights on the Tulse Hill gyratory, which is nearly 100m away and sheltered by other houses in front of ours. Quite how anyone could tolerate the decibels inside the car, let alone be able to drive, is a complete mystery to me.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

We get some real block shakers along Coldharbour Lane. It must be truly deafening inside.

16. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

I live on Coldharbour Lane (quite literally) a stone's throw away from the Dogstar, Bxtn Chip Shop, the 414, etc. It's a noisy street, but that is to be expected living somewhere like that. I've posted on here previously that most of the noise nuisance comes from traffic, sirens, car horns, cars with subwoofers, preachers, the 5am commercial waster collections and even the new pelican crossing. To add to the "problem" the relatively narrow road with terraced tall buildings means any sound at road level is bounced up to the residents on the upper levels.

All the licensed premises have licence conditions around the prevention of public nuisance. This includes limits on volume, installation of lobbies with doors to prevent sound leaking, and dispersing customers when they leave. Nearly all the venues in the area strictly adhere to these and I see no issues. BXTN Chip Shop were certainly taking the piss with their music volume and open windows, but that seems to have changed recently so either they saw the error of their ways or there were complaints.

Whilst there has certainly been an increase in the number of people around at night, the video the campaign posted doesn't show anything more than you would expect in any town centre. It's also worth pointing out that the people in it could quite easily be returning to Brixon after partying elsewhere.

The campaign name is somewhat hyperbolic, which I take issue with. The other problem is that noise complaints are inevitably tied up with the "cleansing" of an area. It's pretty much Gentrification 101 to move into an area then complain about the noise from existing businesses until they are all replaced by nice, quiet cocktail bars that close at a sensible hour.

That said, there is definitely some anti-social behaviour. The campaigners/the council should be researching ways to minimise that, eg: maybe street pastors, or signage indicating it's a residential area and asking for quiet. (The provision of public toilets is essential as the whole area stinks of piss, but that's for another thread I suppose)

But really, if the noise is too much for you then firstly: close your bloody windows, secondly: consider moving out the area*

*and I say that as someone is getting older and is considering maybe it is time to move somewhere quieter!

editor likes this.
  17. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

:confused:

ash likes this.
  18. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

I definitely should have said "something similar to street pastors" or maybe "night-time stewards". I was only riffing off the top of my head.

editor likes this.
  19. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

You raise some good points . In England I found it nearly impossible to just have one pint and go home or go back to work but here in portugal I can quite happily nip in have a beer and go. Also the culture is different people will come in for a coffee, a snack , a soft drink of a bottle of water. It's a higher level of social interaction , games of cards, dominoes, people will nip in and out . Some will sit down and watch a film or a documentary on the TV. When I come back to England I still meet up with my mates but I get to dread the six pint session in the evening !

Gramsci, sealion and T & P like this.