1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleepless Brixton - local residents launch campaign in response to boozy, shouty Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Aug 3, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Campaign statement:
    More here: Sleepless Brixton – frustrated residents launch campaign in response to noisy drinkers

sealion likes this.
  2. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Just read the buzz piece. None of it surprises me. Grown adults getting into shopping trolleys and speeding through Electric Ave...it's like binge Britain goes to Brixton :facepalm::hmm:

wurlycurly likes this.
  3. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Binge Brixton

Pickman's model and Maharani like this.
  4. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

Brixton has become a wanker magnet.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

An activist on FB was asked "who are sleepless Brixton? How are they any different from the noisy gentrifiers". She answered:

Maharani likes this.
  6. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Lack of toilets is an issue. At last Brixton Neighborhood Forum residents were complaining about this and the other problems.

It's clear to me they have been bringing up these issues with the Council for some time. The Council have done nothing hence this campaign.

Pickman's model and Angellic like this.
  7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

A bit of an unfortunate juxtaposition on the Buzz home page at the minute... :D

[​IMG]

teuchter, mrs quoad, Mr Retro and 3 others like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why? There's a world of difference about people enjoying a night in a club on the weekend and people acting like fucking dickwads in the street seven days a week.

Besides, if you'd watched that video, you'd see that they're blaming Brixton Beach as one of the main culprits and they're not asking for long standing clubs to be closed down.

*that's not say that shouty twats don't go to other clubs too, but this is primarily about the noise now taking place in the week, so your 'point' rather fails to hit the target,
    squire.

9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Broken Brixton

twistedAM and bimble like this.
  10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Yeh people having fun and then there's DHFC

Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Wow. It was a fairly good natured observation. Does seem to have struck a nerve though.

Mr Retro and T & P like this.
  12. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The campaign itself claims this is a Thursday to Sunday occurrence, not throughout the week. But in any case, if you don't see the irony of BB putting up a big banner announcing the campaign (and one would guess supporting it in spirit), while posting glowing articles about people enjoying the Brixton nightlife immediately underneath, then I guess nothing that might be said here is likely to change anything.

13. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Helicopter noise that goes on for a long time in the middle of the night (like a couple of nights ago) does that always mean the police are chasing / searching for someone whose run off after doing a serious crime?

14. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I was always convinced that meant they were after my grow room when I lived there.

(They never found it)

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've been putting on clubs for over a decade but it's only become a problem for residents now. So why might that be, do you think?

There's fuck all wrong with people enjoying Brixton nightlife either. That's not the problem, despite your attempts to link my nights to the campaign against the growing noise in the streets.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yeah, right. I just love it when people try to add the personal touch. It really helps the discussion.

17. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The problem is undoubtedly worse than it was years ago, but responsibility has got to be shared across all Brixton revellers rather than trying to place the blame on particular demographics, in particular when it comes to people on the street.

And Electric Avenue is of course far from the only street affected. Even if the claim that many such noisy punters walking through it come directly from Brixton Beach were to be true, it will not necessarily apply to to the many more noisily roaming across dozens of other streets in the area.

Mr Retro likes this.
  18. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Hey peeps. you live in London, everywhere in London is 24/7 cacophony, get a grip, you have far too many people living there and even more wanting to.

19. Gramsci

As I said previously the residents who started this were at the last Brixton Neighborhood Forum. The lack of toilets was a big issue. If the Council sorted that out it would go a long way to making them feel happier.

As for London being 24/7 cacophony.

I lived in central Brixton for many years. Actually I grew up in Plymouth in the docks where there were many pubs. But back then pubs closed at 11am. Lock ins didn't bother anyone.

When I was first in Brixton pubs closed 11. There were a few night clubs But not that many. Market was closed Sundays. So it was ok. Brixton had more retail. Not every other place a bar or restaurant.

The gradual change coincided with closure of public toilets.Pubs changed into late night clubs at night. All this happened with no thought of how it affects long term residents.

In later years I spent time in dealing with noise and disturbance issues. As a residents rep. I have a lot of sympathy for this campaign.

Living in central Brixton and growing up somewhere where there was a lot of drinking I'm pretty tolerant. I think now it's to much.

Some places in Brixton can't make it as restaurants. So start being late night bars on the side. The "chip shop" opposite Dogstar is one. Which is now causing extra noise issues. I notice Wahaca is going to do the same. It's cumulative. Then residents are told that's just how London is.

lefteri likes this.
  20. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Nah, they use the helicopter to record high quality video for future use in prosecution, car chases etc (because they have a policy of not chasing by car but instead using the helicopter so that the car theives don't drive fast/stupid and kill people) ... Not necessarily serious.

bimble likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That Chip Shop totally takes the piss. Windows wide open with music blasting out along the street. All the old school bars and clubs on the street have had to have double doors installed to ensure the sound is kept down, but this lot don't bother with any of that. I can hear them half way down the street.

sealion and Gramsci like this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That may be true but, unlike Brixton Beach, Pop Brixton and some of the other nu-Brixton places, very few of the old school bars and clubs are open every day of the week and putting on DJ/music events, so where else will they be coming from?

23. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

At a massive cost along with other all the sound proofing that lambeth licensing can insist upon. The other option is to close early and lose all your custom.

snadge and Pickman's model like this.
  24. Reiabuzz

Editor, if you can't see the irony of your website promoting three Brixton party nights you yourself were DJing at beneath an article about Brixton residents bitching about noisy drunk partygoers then you've got no future plying your trade at the daily mash as a mere journo, you should be editor at large.

It was a joke. A quite accurate pisstake. Take it on the chin.

ffsear, mrs quoad and Mr Retro like this.
  25. Reiabuzz

And get a sense of humour for fucks sake.

ffsear, mrs quoad and Mr Retro like this.
  26. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

• Disruptive Conduct
    It's been my experience that editorial direction on U-75 neither possesses or encourages humour.

mrs quoad likes this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I see the two of you are determined to trash this thread and veer the discussion on to personal matters/ongoing beef rather than bother yourself with the residents' concerns.

It may all be a big joke to you both but it's a real and growing blight on the life of long term residents (not that landlord Mr Retro even lives here) and it's an important discussion that needs to be had.

Seeing as you've clearly no interest in that discussion, you're both getting kicked off this thread.

Gramsci likes this.
  28. Gramsci

If a business applies for a late license conditions are put on it. Like soundproofing. These conditions are to protect already existing residents. It's standard part of licensing. These conditions aren't unreasonable. As in planning applications local residents have to be notified of an application. They can put comments in which can be taken into account. It's all part of giving people a say in there area.

sealion, paolo and editor like this.
  29. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It seems to me that for the most part the trouble is being caused by punters on the street rather than the venues themselves. As such I am not sure what kind of action is being sought by affected residents, regarding noise at least. The closure of some venues to reduce the overall number of revellers visiting Brixton? Earlier closing times for bars and clubs? The latter would not be a desirable approach for me, as it would likely creep outwards and end up affecting most venues in the area. Imagine the 414 having to close at 2 am.

The toilet situation is a disgrace and yet the solution crystal clear, if the council would get its finger out.

30. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

* awaits Sleepless Brixton the club night *

sealion, editor and Winot like this.