1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleaford Mods

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Blagsta, Mar 17, 2014.

1. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

STOP PRESS:

Jason bumrushes Trump on stump
    in brazen assassination attempt

SLEAFORD.PNG

2. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

Saw them last night at the Roundhouse having only come to them recently and not heard a lot of their stuff. I thought they were brilliant, really powerful presence and set, not what I was expecting, a lot more to it. The relentlesss lyrics and the pounding bassline groove really works. Lead singer has a really great voice and range, which he uses, hadn't expected the delicacy mixed with the ferocity, plus some performance art feel stuff going on. Crowd were going mental, great atmosphere. Everyone left with smiles having conversations with random other punters about how great it was ;-)

PS they are playing 100 club this eve and looks like there are still tickets, that would be great place to see them...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  3. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

This seems quite appropriate :D

elbows likes this.
  4. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

So pleased I saw your post - I saw them there last time they played and they were brilliant.

Just booked for tonight :D

stockwelljonny and ddraig like this.
  5. neonwilderness

6. neonwilderness

7. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

playing Brixton Academy Sept 22

8. neonwilderness

Anyone listened to the new album (out today) yet?

My copy is at the post office, so going to have a listen on Spotify soon.

craigxcraig likes this.
  9. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Yup, it is pretty damned groovy

neonwilderness likes this.
  10. neonwilderness

Yep. No immediate stand out tracks so far, but I like it :cool:

11. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

Just downloaded it. Will give it a listen once the kids are in bed. :eek::D

12. craigxcraig

Liking it - been listening via spotify and got the vinyl, cant wait to get home and played :)

13. craigxcraig

...I had an organic chicken...it was shit :D

elbows, Voley and neonwilderness like this.
  14. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Got tickets for Rock City in November, but the Rough trade record signing event looked pretty good.

15. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

new album's on Spotify now... currently enjoying "just like we do" it is rather close to the bone ha

16. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I got called a tool by yer man from Sleaford Mods on facebook yesterday. :cool:

17. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i introduced him to the music of Trim 3 years ago, i've got the facebook messages to prove it. BACKLASH.

not really, well i did send the message but he never replied and had probably already heard of him but you know

18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I'm not saying I invented grime or anything, just to be clear.

neonwilderness and Libertad like this.
  19. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

You're not the only one mate, I admit I took some convincing at first about them, but yeah… :D

20. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

...is that DnB thing one of theirs or are they just mcing over somoene elses track?
    full details please....

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  21. neonwilderness

It's Jobseeker, one of their older songs

Badgers and ska invita like this.
  22. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Still my fav tune of theirs Jobseeker. The 7" has gone for £200 or so on discogs (it doesn't now tho as I discovered speculatively listing it)

23. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

A friend shared an interview in the quietus where he slags off Stomzy for sharing a stage with Ed Sheeran... I'd recently been reminded that Sleaford Mods had contributed tracks to the latest (awful) Leftfield and Prodigy albums, and suggested he wasn't really in a position to sit in judgement over other people making similar creative/commercial decisions... forgetting that he was also mutual friends with the sharer.

I guess it touched a nerve.

ska invita likes this.
  24. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I'm considering making a primitive hiphop loop using an old post punk track and setting his rant to music. ;)

25. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Stormzy isnt all that either IMO - hype-talk is in FULL effect over him. He's alright - good luck to him - but not exceptional, and some of his tunes are pretty poor tbh.
    i think the expression-of-2017 is #doubledown

26. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Oh absolutely - Stormzy is pretty weak IMO. Which makes his decision to grasp the chance of appearing with the biggest pop star in the world all the more sensible. He's not got a long career ahead of him so he should make his money while he can.

ska invita likes this.
  27. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Whereas Sleaford Mod are doing fine - their decision to contribute cast-off tracks to the dead-eyed money farms that were the last Leftfield & Prodigy albums has helped them make the jump in fanbase from middle aged men who still listen to new music to middle aged men who buy one album a year. They're made now, cause that one album will probably be theirs...

28. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I do think collaborating on an album track is different to collaborating on a one-off medley of hits purely for a star studded corporate award show tho

ouchmonkey likes this.
  29. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

It's only by degree though

30. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

:D oh joy. I missed this.
    I'm feeling pleasingly/disappointingly non partisan about it though.
    his point seems to be - being invited by people whose previous records you admired to do a guest spot and going 'yes mate' is not the same as going 'yeah okay I'll go on with mr popular pants who ain't even my equal but sells loads more records'

by degree, as rutabowa said

"I don't give a fuck about what you did back in the day, what you're doing now is useless, you just drink too much mate" as somebody else suggested

rutabowa likes this.