1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Situationist influence on music

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Sep 3, 2017.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Triggered by the KLF thread, I remembered reading Bill Drummonds book 45, which was basically an autobiogprahy of the musical end of what he got up to in KLF and beyond. I'm not sure if he ever mentions the Situ's but I think it contentiousness to say that the one thing he has been partiuclarly good at was playing the society of the spectacle at its own game.

I'm curious which other musicians have claimed direct influence from the Situs, who else might fall under the banner less consciously and how meaningful that link between theory and the music really is. For example supposedly a lot of UK punks were having a go at reading Situ writing...does that mean Punk really was situ-infused music in a way that say Grunge wasn't? Before my time, but was it maybe more an influence on Malcolm Mclarens clever stunt-promotion techniques than the music?

---
    Good intro article here Situationism explained! and its affect on punk and pop culture - Louder Than War

2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

The only band they had any aural effect on was stereolab. But mandel had as much influence on them.

3. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

Tony Wilson et al.

E.g The Return of the Durutti Column LP.

4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

The Feederz (US hardcore band) claimed an SI influence. More on the level of slogans and cartoons than anything else:

[​IMG]

5. Fozzie Bear

I would guess that a whole bunch of people have claimed an influence through psychogeography also?

6. ska invita

Yeah ive just read Hacienda How Not To Run a Club, and was surprised the name comes from a line in a Situ text: "The Hacienda Must Be Built"

I think this is the context/wider quote
    "And you, forgotten, your memories ravaged by all the consternations of two hemispheres, stranded in the Red Cellars of Pali-Kao, without music and without geography, no longer setting out for the hacienda where the roots think of the child and where the wine is finished off with fables from an old almanac. Now that's finished. You'll never see the hacienda. It doesn't exist.

The hacienda must be built."
    The Situationist International Text Library/Formulary for a New Urbanism

chilango likes this.
  7. Fozzie Bear

Ian Brown (of Stone Roses) has a solo song called "Corpses In Their Mouths" which is from Vaneigem...

chilango likes this.
  8. ska invita

I can see the connection between situations/spectacles and music/performance, but how so with psychogeography?

9. butchersapron

pre-situ.

Fozzie is right, loads of word or image stuff - just not much musically.

chilango and Fozzie Bear like this.
  10. Fozzie Bear

More in the rather wanky way that some electronic music artists do tracks about cities etc...

11. butchersapron

The it goes into some classic four piece rock.

12. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

I've read that book, it's great. Drummond has a very unique take on life.

13. Fozzie Bear

Actually you could maybe see some more interesting psychogeographical influence on this lot:

Ultra-Red

Field recordings of gay cruising grounds, protests etc.

ska invita likes this.
  14. Fozzie Bear

There's a clearer influence on Drummond from the Robert Anton Wilson / Discordianism side of things - that's where "Mu Mu" and the pyramid logo comes from...

ska invita likes this.
  15. butchersapron

Maybe time to link to the wise brothers the end of music. a piece i've seen them near disown. Stewarts Home's near book length insistence that the lurkers were the most important punk band also.

chilango likes this.
  16. butchersapron

Fuck, this stuff is so old.

chilango likes this.
  17. Fozzie Bear

Stewart's "Cranked Up Really High" is all online here:

punk rock, genre theory, popular music

Chapter 2: BLOOD SPLATTERED WITH GUITARS: A demonstration of the fact that there are no direct links between PUNK ROCK, the Sex Pistols and the Situationist International.

chilango and ska invita like this.
  18. Fozzie Bear

All the cool kids have moved onto "Punkademia" now innit.

Plus Italy in the 70s is trendier than France in the 60s.

chilango likes this.
  19. ska invita

When I think about raves (especially illegal) and Temporary Autonomous Zones etc that all has Situ and Psychogeographic parallels. Hard to know who in the rave world (especially in the early days) might have been directly influenced by it, but I guess the grungier/squat/free party world did have at least some punk roots, so there may be a bit of that handed down.

The question of whether theory is useful or influential comes up here though: getting up to illegal stuff and living against the grain doesnt necessarily need theory to inspire it. I guess if it inspires/encourages some, then great, if others do it instinctually, or through thinking things through themselves then that's good too. Impossible to really map the influence of an idea accurately.

For example Haceinda was modelled directly on a few NY clubs which I doubt were in any way influenced by the Situs, so whose to say which is the biggest influence?

20. butchersapron

Debord would have spat in peter lamborn wilsons paedo wine. This is how situ influence has come through to wider culture though - as a prank played on culture rather than a challenge to the idea of culture full stop.

Fozzie Bear and sunnysidedown like this.
  21. chilango

I printed and distributed that text as a pamphlet many moons ago :cool:

ska invita likes this.
  22. chilango

...and so are we :(

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  23. chilango

Fluxus and Dada perhaps also. Less interesting in many ways though.

24. Fozzie Bear

Re: theory etc - the youth cults of the day influenced the theory anyway? Like that piece on bikers etc in the English SI "Heatwave" mag?

Something something dialectical.

ska invita likes this.
  25. S☼I

S☼I unhailed warden of a fled campestral

Devo? Not a fan but I'm mates with a bunch of people who I remember banging on about them and situationism back in the day

26. Fozzie Bear

Possibly. Devo formed after the cops killed student protestors at Kent State iirc.

Also wired into the subgenius end of things...

27. chilango

28. butchersapron

Devo were too clever to be pro-situ.

29. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

I wonder how much (if any) influence musique concrète had on the SI?

30. ska invita

I think that crowd threw a few fancy dress parties...I wonder what music got played?
    Theres a great short costume ballet I saw on video once, French? 60s? definitely colour, and I think posted on Dailymotion...which I think was Dada influenced. I forget now...shame Id like to see it again...it was pretty amazing, costume and music wise