Sir Kim Darroch resigns as UK ambassador to US

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Jul 10, 2019.

1. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

All the toadying by Johnson to keep his new master happy really puts the special relationship back in the spotlight.

2. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

"What the fuck" from a senior NZ civil servant I know well.

3. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Back to the mug-shot

The emails that the mail chose were the ones that had Darroch saying "What a ghastly vulgar man!" and sounding just as you say. But are there more leaked emails with real dirt and some facts?

4. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Trump strikes a blow for class war by having a nob fired. Who'd a thunk it? :D

Ming likes this.
  5. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Does it matter? The reason the Mail printed the ones they chose was because those were the embarrassing ones. If all he had reported was unedited and factual, they would have been a lot less interesting to print and caused little fall-out even if they had plenty of dirt.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  6. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

The one I saw reported was about how the Trump administration isn't likely to become more coherent, less inept etc.

This absolutely is of value, if the state intends to spend any kind of capital on the premise that things will improve. Which it apparently has and does.

7. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

At the very least, it will change in either 1 year or 5 years. I hope we’re not setting long term strategic investment on the basis of what might be just a single year’s time horizon.

8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

the use of the phrase time horizon is far more offensive than the use of inept

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

Everyone agrees, it seems

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/ambassadors-we-all-share-similar-views-on-donald-trump-to-sir-kim-darroch-a4187586.html

likesfish, Plumdaff, Ming and 2 others like this.
  10. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Well the cops have launched a criminal investigation.
    Sir Kim Darroch: Police launch probe into Trump email 'leak' Police launch probe of ambassador emails 'leak'
    What i don’t get is you’d think these diplomatic communications would be pretty comprehensively monitored. And access and storage would be state of the art. And tracked. So why haven’t MI5 already found the culprit?

11. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

Maybe they have. But they may not want it to be known, if it doesn't have to be, HOW they've found the culprit. So get them to confess, or have the police "investigate" and happen across a smoking gun that MI5 doesn't have to admit to holding...

likesfish and Ming like this.
  12. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Hmm. Smoke and mirrors with the spooks innit.

likesfish likes this.
  13. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

It's what they do best :cool: :D :thumbs:

Ming likes this.
  14. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Spooks gotta’ spook. :D

likesfish and existentialist like this.
  15. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Ehrm, this is the same ‘establishment’ that has been running Brexit to it’s special tune, yeah?

Or perhaps we have reached peak nepotistic and it may be a time for people with actual intelligence and talent to have a pop at sorting shit out? Whacky, I know.

likesfish and kabbes like this.
  16. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Well have a look at Robert Mercer (involved in Trump/Brexit) and then get back to me on whether we have a right wing international group bent on breaking up the post war consensus.

17. Mr Moose

Mr Moose What the hell are we supposed to tell the kids?

Who are these people with ‘actual intelligence’? Where are they to come from at the point Boris Johnson is about to become PM? I’m all ears.

SpookyFrank and likesfish like this.
  18. Bahnhof Strasse

Would you not make a better job of it than the shower of shit currently on offer?

Badgers likes this.
  19. Mr Moose

Mr Moose What the hell are we supposed to tell the kids?

Fair enough, I thought for a moment you felt someone better was likely to takeover. :)

20. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman it was already like that when I got here

They're about 40 years too late to that show.

HoratioCuthbert and emanymton like this.
  21. tim

tim EXPLODED TIM! (Help me!!!)

As a kid from a council estate with a scholarship to a public school, I assume that Darroch was more likely to have been the token oik. Trump is clearly from much more of an elite background that Darroch, even if British snobs might not see it that way.

22. tim

tim EXPLODED TIM! (Help me!!!)

Theresa May will be available. She could win favour by helping the President with all those pesky stairs

23. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Funnily enough I was reading this again the other day. 2013 Adam Curtis blog post about the wacky swivel-eyed shit history of MI5. As usual with Curtis it doesnt cover every angle and reaches simplistic conclusions, but plenty of fun detail.

BUGGER

It reminded me that when I was talking about secure channels and leaks not being the norm, and making reference to other recent leaks, that I had not acknowledged the various other sorts of leaks that are far more routine.

Its not hard to construct the same sort of story Curtis does about MI5 and the spy games of the past, especially growing up in the 1980s and seeing a lot of this stuff (often without much context) in the news at the time. I do wonder what the situation is like these days. I wonder how much it still has in common with what Le Carre described.....

Anyway I know this is somewhat of an aside but for some reason something you said reminded me of that final quote ;)

24. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Anyway, :thumbs: to the British elite consuming itself over Brexit. Isabelle Euphemia Oakeshott versus some other posh twat. No dog in that fight.

tim and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  25. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Mirror points out Isabel Oakeshott is currently in a relationship with Richard Tice, Chair of the Brexit Party and one of its MEPs. Or as the Sunday Times puts it

Times also reports, and picked up in the Guardian
    Mail publishes more by Oakeshott.

Poi E, tim and Pickman's model like this.
  26. Bahnhof Strasse

And we have Asst Commissioner Neil Basu threatening the media with prosecution if they publish these leaked documents. MoS ignored the mad twat.

27. Old Spark

Old Spark Active Member

So who is your money on as the leaker ? Could be Williamson acting on behalf of Johnson or the Hunt camp - tho can't see what either would gain.

Could be May and number 10 getting back at Trump but would they sacrifice the ambassador.

No ,likeliest is its a Brexit party operation -Oakeshott is in a relationship with Richard Tice so they must have a mole at very senior level in FO or No10 tho May could have fed the pigeons i suppose.Motive presumably to get Farage into Ambassador job under Johnson.

Meanwhile in the Peoples Party our brave whistleblowers are consulting m'learned friend after the Stalinists in Loto were rather uncomradely about their revelations.Len called Watson a fucking disgrace at the gala yesterday-only five years ago they were flatmates and mates-didn't Watson employ Karie Murphy.??

Our politics is in a desperate state-choice of the main parties is as attractive as trying to chose whether Saville or Glitter would teach your kids best.

Head for the hills.

Poi E and angusmcfangus like this.
  28. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

How recent are the events detailed in the leaks? Don’t think I’ve heard anything particularly recent. I’m wondering if the leaks are old material, leaked in the past rather than now, and the motive for publishing now might be to get the leaker into trouble, perhaps if it was someone associated with the Jonnson or Hunt camp.