Siouxsie & The Banshees

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Dirty Martini, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Dirty Martini

Dirty Martini gets what he cant want

After buying my girlfriend the 'Best Of' for her birthday, I now realise what a great singles band they were. It's a real nostalgia trip to hear Happy House, Dear Prudence, Hong Kong Garden, et al. after so long.

They sounded fecking great, didn't they?

Any 'proper' album recommendations?

2. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

For the raw punky stuff go for The Scream for more commercial stuff I recommend Kaliedoscope and A Kiss in the Dreamhouse (which is all about sex).

Top band in their day, saw them live a number of times including the Albert Hall.

3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

"The Scream" is my favourite too. :)

Was that the 2nd LP? The first one (with the Lord's Prayer on it) is to be avoided, iirc.

4. past caring

past caring The Cathars were right

The Scream was the first one, Join Hands was the second. Went off them after that - too goth.

There was an excellent bootleg came out before any official release (they were a long time in getting signed) which, iirc, later became officially available 'cos it was basically the first two or three Peel sessions......

5. j6ango1977

j6ango1977 Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Awesome band. I recommend 'Ju Ju' for the sheer genius of 'Spellbound', 'Sin in my Heart'. Id also recommend the live album 'Nocturne'. Robert Smith is playing on this. 'Israel' and 'Melt' sound great live. Later on I like 'Tinderbox' as well for 'Cities in Dust' and '92 Degrees' (apparently the temperature that most people are likely to snap and commit murder).

Good to hear that its not just me that likes siouxsie :)

6. MarkMark

MarkMark perduto

They were great!!

Happy house, Love in a void, Spellbound were my favourites.

And of course Siouxsie is gorgeous!! :)

7. Unix Tottie

Unix Tottie Well-Known Member

Her and Budgie (sp?) did some stuff under the name "The Creatures" later on which I quite liked too. Lots of drums :cool:

8. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

so bloody much stuff to get hold of.....nearly all great....

Juju, Scream are both astounding albums, without any of the gothiness if you don't like that kinda thing. Dreamhouse is probably my favourite, even tho I'm not a goth in any way shape or form - oh no I'm not!

Tinderbox should be got for the utter magnificence that is Cities in Dust, possibly there greatest track. And Peepshow is an undeservedly neglected album that was there last really good one.

9. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Loved 'Slowdive', whichever album that's on...Kiss in the Dreamhouse, I think.

Saw The Cure supporting Soiux in 1980 when Robert Smith was the guitarist for both bands...he was :cool:

10. RubberBuccaneer

RubberBuccaneer Hedd Wyn

Join Hands is great until it gets to the Lords Prayer ( which they used to do originally ), it's a bit of a filler.
    The whole album sounds like WW1 on record - superb.

Also seek out the German version of Metal Postcard, they sometimes miis this from the singles, putting on Love in a Void instead.
    I saw it as the A-side complete with scene from a film of people eating metal.
    ( could have been a German futuristic film, but I'll leave that can of worms unopenned )

Oi Rubber shut up about Nazis will you!

11. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

mentioning Nazi's and Love in a Void in the same post! Now there's a track that probably shouldn't be played on Holocaust Memorial Day!

12. hammerntongues

hammerntongues Well-Known Member

I was at that one 87/88 ? I had a box ! I was working for at time at a company that held a debenture , no one wanted to see Souxsie , also saw Elvis Costello and Eric Clapton from same box.
    I would go with The Scream too.

13. Maggot

No much earlier around 83/84, maybe they played there more than once. The time I went was when Robert Smith was on Guitar, it was recorded for the live album and video - Nocturne, and Fad Gadget (who I also loved) was supporting.

Siouxsie Sioux is from Chislehurst and was part of the Bromley Contingent - an infamous group of early punks, along with Billy Idol.

14. Orangesanlemons

Orangesanlemons Inamorati Anonymous

The Scream
    Juju
    Kaleidoscope
    A Kiss In The Dreamhouse

are the ones you want, in that order. Tinderbox is under-rated.

I saw the DVD of the 'Seven Year Itch' re-union tour the other day and was amazed at how fresh it sounded - Sioux's voice was a bit shaky on some of the earlier tracks, but overall it was the business. Wish I'd gone now. Bah.

15. Dirty Martini

Dirty Martini gets what he cant want

The best name for a gang ever :D

I better get slsking, plenty of recommendations here, ta all.

16. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

I was there!!! I was there!!! :cool: My first big gig!! I was 14 and hobbled all the way from the tube station in my really really pointy shoes that hurt my feet!

Im on the Nocturne album sreaming ' R O B E R T'.... :oops: (cringe)

I have had all the albums at least twice and lost them due to lots of moving about in the 80's I must replace them I really miss them!!!!

'Kiss in the Dream house' is my fave...and 'Switch'

Voley likes this.
  17. Sir Belchalot

Sir Belchalot arenicola marina

Saw them at the Roundhouse in '77 with The Worst, Penetration & Buzzcocks. All 4 bands great - the Banshees were very powerful, Siouxsie a mesmirising singer at the time. Caught the end of their set in Finsbury Park a few years later & they were crap. The original band were awesome live.

18. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Saw then at the Rainbow in 1979 ish, when they still had John Mckay and Kenny Morris with them. That night the original Human League was supporting, complete with film show!

As for albums, i don't reckon they ever bettered the Scream, altho Kalidescope isn't bad either.

Voley likes this.
  19. pilchardman

pilchardman Dances With Penguins

I like "Christine". Good song.

20. rorymac

rorymac Well-Known Member

The Scream was a top drawer album IMO and Siouxsie was brilliant live :cool:
    The stuff they did with John Mcgeogh on guitar is different class also IMO x

Chilli.s likes this.
  21. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

I saw the original lineup (I think) at Mr Digbys in Birkenhead, with Penetration supporting, so I'm guessing it was the same tour as you saw. They were indeed awesome, Siouxie got pissed off with some idiot in the audience (I think he had read the NME and thought it'd be cool to gob on her) so she smashed him in the face with her mikestand and left him bleeding.

The audience then showed an appropriate degree of respect :)

22. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Indeed! :) Saw them in a couple of incarnations &in The Other Record Shop in Aberdeen when they had the infamous bust-up & split. Think half of my school bunked-off to go to the signing & waht a debacle that turned-out to be!

23. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

The Scream still gets the odd playing, and still sounds good even after all this time. :)

24. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I never liked Siouxsie - her posh-girl-shock-nazi posturing used to really get on my tits, and they were a bit goth for me. Unfortunately I have to wake up with her every morning as my husband has a large tattoo of her on his arm :D

25. Maggot

The first single after the split (Playground Twist?) had 'Bye-bye Blackheads' scratched on that bit of vinyl between the track and the label -which was clearly a reference to McKay and Morris. Either that or Siouxsie had discovered Clearasil.

26. Sir Belchalot

Sir Belchalot arenicola marina

Kenny Morris now runs an art shop in Kildare Town,Eire as I discovered by chance a few years back. Keeps quiet about his past tho'. See link:

petee likes this.
  27. marksims68

marksims68 Have guitar will travel

The banshees, fabulous band.

Years ago we had a lodger who was heavily into the banshees, I'd be listening to Ultravox and he'd have Hong Kong Garden or Spellbound on. He went to see them on the Nocturne tour in 84 IIRC and showed me the tickets, envious I was!

And of course, Siouxsie is gorgeous!!!

Mark.

28. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

Loved them up until Tinderbox. (Though in retrospect they started to decline around the time of 'Hyaena')

Kaleidoscope and Kiss in the Dreamhouse are the albums I still listen to.

Saw them at the Albert Hall in 1988 - a suit among the goths as I went there straight from my first office job.

29. Velouria

Velouria Not as good looking as the avatar

...on 'Switch', at 7 min 42 seconds :)

I am in love with Siouxsie now. Aww.

I go through phases of this...

An excellent band, and those of you who use soulseek may well find Nocturne there if you want it. The video and the album :)

Currently, my fave is Nocturne. As for the albums... err, I haven't heard any :(

* the video doesn't play back reliably on all PCs. I needed to uninstall DivX and install Xvid only to get it to play smoothly...

30. j6ango1977

j6ango1977 Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Yeh poor Rob was also in his own personal Project 'The Glove' poor guy had a breakdown not long after.