Single mums ‘should not be acceptable’ says Shaun Bailey, Tory Mayor of London candidate

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Oct 9, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This guy is pretty special, even for a Tory:

[​IMG]

passenger likes this.
  2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I've had my eye on him for a while, since he ran for MP in 2010 in my then constituency of Hammersmith (and lost). Yet he's seems to keep popping up at every opportunity to talk some nonsense now he's the great big Tory hope for London mayor.

As the guardian pointed out, Bailey's comments are straight out of the Peter Lilley speech at the 1992 Tory party conference with his "little list" of "young ladies who get pregnant just to jump the housing list"

He can do one. I'd sooner vote for Khan than this motherfucker.

3. TruXta

TruXta tired

Am I missing something? Where did he say that single mums should not be acceptable?

Badgers and spanglechick like this.
  4. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese massaged in hot chocolate

The shit changes but the flies stay the same.

5. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Typing an I instead of a U thirteen years ago is hardly crime of the century, especially as they are next to each other on the keyboard. It is the Guardian though so their spade handle probably broke there and they called it a day.

6. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

At least you know the sort of shit you're voting for with the tory, with Khan it's harder to know which of his principles are permanent

8. skyscraper101

The hopper fare is good though

Poi E likes this.
  9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Doesn't weigh much against his bus cuts, support for shitty architecture and general gentrification.

Badgers, flypanam and sealion like this.
  10. TruXta

TruXta tired

11. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Remove the queue jumping ( if it actually exists) by building half a million affordable & secured tenancy houses

And outlaw BTL

Sorted

12. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert 32 degrees

Aye I think he would find me very unacceptable indeed if he found himself in my company....

crossthebreeze and MadeInBedlam like this.
  13. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Funny, I was speaking with a mate the other day who is a single dad and he thinks Tories should not be acceptable.

14. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

I’m laughing my arse off here that somehow just by having a child you get a council property. Fucking hell these people are out of touch. Don’t they know how much more fucking desperate you need to be nowadays than just having a child :D

trashpony, Plumdaff, Nylock and 12 others like this.
  15. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

I must be doing something wrong then, because I became a single mum with 3 kids under 5 and one was a four month old baby, and here I am ten years later still on the council house waiting list :hmm:

16. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Well it probably does put person A with a child ahead of person B without a child, but I can't imagine women getting pregnant purely for that reason. It would be crazy. Still, he's a Tory.

17. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

I think me and Dave are still on the list from 16 years ago :D

18. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Anyway, fuck blaming us single Mums. We’re the ones who’ve stuck by our kids to raise them, not walked away.

19. skyscraper101

Shudda been an illegal immigrant, you'd have been immediately given a 5 bed mansion in Knightsbridge with free benefits, food vouchers and priority cosmetic surgery on the NHS because the EU.

20. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Deleted my post because I was too incensed to argue coherently against this twat.

bellaozzydog likes this.
  21. skyscraper101

It was sarcasm as I hoped I wouldn't have to point out.

22. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

What's always struck me about this claim is that even if it is true (and I don't believe it is) that women get pregnant just to get a house. Then what the fuck does that say about the world we live it. Apparently the most poor young women feel they can hope for is to have a kid so they can live somewhere that is not an overpriced shithole.

23. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

Brighton has such dire housing needs that they changed their criteria in the last couple of years and I got removed from the council list, along with thousands of others, for having 'no housing need' (that being that we are already 'adequately housed' in ridiculously expensive private rentals).

Also, lol at all these wrong-un women, getting pregnant to get housing, with absolutely no input from men. :rolleyes: :mad:

24. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

Ponder if the standard is going to use this thread of examples of abuse being through his way by Jeremy Corbryn supporter's

:hmm:

25. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

It's so old this kind of crap but still no less anger-inducing. From being brought up in a single parent family myself this bile was around way back when.

There are plenty of people who lap it up in ignorance but some of those who spout it from on high know very well it isn't so simple, they just hate the working class and will support or participate in anything that makes the lives of its poorest as difficult as possible, and make the rest more vulnerable to a slide into poverty.

26. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

27. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

28. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

You forgot big tellies. It’s always big tellies.

29. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Is this really the best person they could find? Did nobody spend five minutes doing a background check?

30. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

They’re so fucking shallow; they wanted to exorcise Goldsmith’s racist Crosby campaign and a BAME candidate, any BAME candidate would do. They just chose a thick, racist one.
    They’re so fucking useless.