single female traveller

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by hash tag, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I was going to say ignore all the advice and just get stuck in.

Koh Rong is great if she likes partying with westerners on a beach :thumbs:

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  2. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Best advice of all really :D

3. Don Troooomp

Don Troooomp Condescension and embedded self importance

Sleeping bag liners don't cover you as well as the thing I made so insects can still get to you.
    A normal bag is far too thick to use, but that thing does the job. As for the heat, that's what air conditioning is for.

4. Don Troooomp

One question.
    If you fly thousands of miles why would you hang with westerners?
    Might as well sod off to some Spanish holiday resort or somewhere.

5. Don Troooomp

I found my first few days in Asia to be a problem. Massive shits from the malaria tabs, then got bit to crap by insects on a duff hotel. Surely it's better to know how to avoid all that stuff so she can get on with her holiday.
    As for the phone - It makes life easier.

The rest is better minimalist so she doesn't have to drag a bloody great rucksack around.

6. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Cambodians don't party so it's that or a quiet night. No need to be a holiday snob some people like to stay on the beaten track.

7. hash tag

hash tag member

She is going out that way for a working break for a couple of weeks which will offer her Comfort and security. She wants a stop for about a week on the way back and Cambodia or Viet Nam are on the list. I am trying to instill confidence and encouragement to do it. If it means hanging out with seasoned travellers, it's something. She has not been out of Europe before.

trashpony, baldrick and miss direct like this.
  8. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

There's a limit to what you can see in a week in Vietnam. I'd definitely choose Cambodia, see Angkor Wat and Phnom Penh.

9. Mrs Miggins

If it makes any difference...
    Cambodia - visa on arrival
    Vietnam - have to apply for your visa and advance so it's a tiny bit more palavar/expense.

Bahnhof Strasse and hash tag like this.
  10. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

In season you can get a boat down from Siem Reap to Battambang, which is well worth it. Three days in SR, a couple in Batt, and one in PP going 'bloody hell, this is mad' and that's a good weeks holiday.

Hire a bike in SR, great way to get around lots of the temples and not too dangerous.

Be very wary of people offering 'coke' - it probably isn't.

11. Mrs Miggins

:D:D

12. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I second the bike hiring for Ankor Wat. It's a lovely way to explore the temples and you can stop at some of the quiet temples tourists don't normally go to.

DJWrongspeed and Mrs Miggins like this.
  13. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I haven't been to Cambodia, but I have travelled alone in Egypt, Thailand, Tanzania, all over Turkey and various other places.

My top tip is to make a cheat sheet - I use google docs AND print it out. This includes dates, times, flight details, any codes, addresses of places I've booked, little maps, walking instructions. Don't rely on your phone - the battery might die or it might break. Having the cheat sheet has always made me feel more confident.

The wedding ring tip makes no sense at all to me. If you're alone, you're alone, and a ring isn't going to stop a dangerous person. But having your wits about you might. I also tend to be very careful going out at night and drinking when I'm alone.

14. Don Troooomp

Not snobby - She has a fantastic opportunity to explore a whole new country and culture. It would be almost criminal to waste that sitting in bars.

15. strung out

strung out (",)

Not sure this is true? I was in Vietnam in December and didn't have any kind of visa

16. strung out

strung out (",)

Also, Vietnam has the death penalty and numerous human rights abuses, so wouldn't want to send your daughter there alone hash tag

17. belboid

True - its not needed for visits 15 days or less.

18. Don Troooomp

From a moral point of view, I would agree. From a legal problems POV, it's unlikely to be a problem. Kidnap and forcing into the sex trade is a massive problem in Cambodia, but unlikely to be so for a western woman as kidnapping her would bring the authorities down like a ton of bricks.

19. Mrs Miggins

Oh OK. I didn't know that.

20. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I found Cambodia a lot less hassley than Vietnam.

Siem Reap is much smaller and easier to get around than PP and Ankor Wat and other temples are amazing. Def try out some of the less busy ones. The main downside of AW is how massively overcrowded it is.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  21. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

Why, though? I'm genuinely curious. I went round India with a backpack, and as I trudged endlessly along Mumbai's streets to the bus station, I remember wondering why the fuck I was getting all sweaty carrying my stuff rather than casually wheeling it in a suitcase.
    :confused:

Since then, on all my travels round China on sleeper trains, I've taken my stuff in a wheely suitcase, and it's been fine. Sure, I've had to carry it up and down some stairs, and it's been a bit annoying, but it's still been 100% better than moving my stuff in a backpack. If I was hiking up a mountain, then sure, I wouldn't use a suitcase, but if you're pretty sure that where you're going has roads and pavements, surely a suitcase is better? :hmm:

22. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

My travel advice is to buy a spray can of insect killer. Spray it all around your room, and then go for a walk. Check insect screens on windows for holes, and plug with tissue if you find any.

Don't go out for the day without hand sanitizer and tissue.

Wear only black or white clothes, so no one can see how sweaty you are. :cool:

23. belboid

It is true, that in Cambodia people are dressed in black. The people are one, and the slums have soul. It's tough, kid, but it's life.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  24. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Yes you must wear black pyjamas at all times. It’s the law.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag member

Ouch. Women are fairly equal (or so I believe) in Nam and I am not sending her anywhere....

planetgeli and belboid like this.
  26. strung out

strung out (",)

Ditto Malaysia :p

27. hash tag

hash tag member

I'm not going there, at least not on a different thread.

28. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I've got a backpack with wheels. So I can stick it on my back if I need my hands free or if the roads are too rough, but I mostly use the wheels.

29. Mrs Miggins

Those are really good and if I were to travel long term again, I'd get one. In fact if I buy any new luggage, it will probably be one of those.

There were times when I would have sold my soul to the devil to not have had to carry my pack.

30. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Look out for some kind of 'all terrain wheels' though, mine have lasted longer than expected, but took quite a battering on dodgy roads (last time - southern Belize).

Mrs Miggins likes this.