1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinead O'Connor's letter to Miley Cyrus

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Cheesypoof, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

well this aint true at all. Words - especially when they describe what it looks like (that doesnt mean 'is' by the way) - i said 'whoor' which is Dublinese for 'hooker' and Sinead said 'prostitute' - describes what it looks like. You dont have to be PC to have an opinion on this....

2. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

3. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

It's not about being PC, it's about judgemental shaming bollocks about women. It doesn't matter if you say prostitute or whore - it's the sentiment that's at fault.

4. Cheesypoof

So you dont think that Miley Cyrus looked like she was prostituting herself, twerking with a married man at the VMAs or licking the sledgehammer?

or that Sinead shoulda said anything about it?

5. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

I haven't actually seen either performance but that's not really the point.

She was performing on stage. Whether her co performer is married or not is UTTERLY irrelevant (and a wonderful example of the loaded language you're using).

What you keep missing is the fact that women should be able to be sexual if they so choose without the implication that they're a 'whore'.

Some of the things Sinead O'Connor said were valuable but dressing it up with faux concern, a terribly patronising attitude and the suggestion that by doing what lots of young women do (having it and flaunting it) they are somehow less worthy is easily as damaging to women in general.

6. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Thinking about it Bieber and Cyrus would make a good comparison case study on sexism in music. Both about as talentless as each other and yet two different lengths they go to for fame...

7. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

If the married man thing is an issue for you, doesn't Thicke deserve more abuse than Cyrus? He's actually married and yet is grinding and smooching all over a selection of naked girls in his video, as well as Cyrus at the VMAs. Cyrus is single. She hasn't made any promises to anyone, and Thicke is quite willing.

8. Agent Sparrow

Agent Sparrow mellow kitty

Potentially interesting. :) But what lengths are you referring to in regards to Bieber?

9. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

But he's a man, just doing what men do......

:facepalm:

10. Agent Sparrow

Well, of course men don't get the abuse, do they :rolleyes:

And I am aware that makes me partially complicit too, by joining in on the discussion on Miley rather than him, but can we for now see that as a) that's because he didn't get a letter written to him, and b) that the anti-woman sexism in male artists' videos and performances REALLY REALLY fucks me off and seems so blatantly shite, to the point I almost have got sick of making the argument!

11. Kid_Eternity

Exactly my point, how far has he had to go to reach fame? I don't remember him 'twerking' while performing at an award show or riding naked on anything in his videos while licking hammers suggestively.

Chemical needs and Agent Sparrow like this.
  12. Agent Sparrow

Gotcha. Good point well made. Though tbf, he does have to be Bieber. :hmm:

wiskey and fogbat like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Annie Lennox has added her own take on things. She seems to have got it about right, IMO.

14. Cheesypoof

course he shouldnt be bumping and grinding with her so both are at fault, (and him moreso if he is married and she is single). i agree with Sinead O'Connors take on the whole thing - apart from Cyrus being some victim of a record company manipulation - i think she knows what she is doing.

15. Kid_Eternity

Haven't they both has similar child star upbringings too?

16. Kid_Eternity

Watching her in interviews I'd have to say it does appear she knows what's she doing. Someone earlier alluded to the idea that if she loses her current fame she'll attempt a reinvent claiming she was manipulated and how she realized how she was used etc. Inclined to believe that may well be the case...

17. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

I don't know why people are acting like this is a new phenomenon. Britney Spears' Slave and Christina Aguelera (sp) Dirty were well over a decade ago. Popstars have always used sex to sell records. Bieber and the One Direction lads have always got their shirts off.
    Do you think girls would go mad over Bieber if he looked like Van Morrison?

As I stated earlier, its "Pop Star in sexy dancing and skimpy outfit shock"

18. Kid_Eternity

Straw man alert!

NO ONE is acting like this is new, in fact people have been explicitly discussing the historical lineage of 'shocking' behavior by music artists on here.:.

muscovyduck and Cheesypoof like this.
  19. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

Am I missing something here? I'm not sure what she's trying to say apart from buy me and my record.

sojourner and Kid_Eternity like this.
  20. Kid_Eternity

You're not missing a thing.

21. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

I don't even know why I know this, but to make the double standards by which women are judged even more obvious, Cyrus was not single, but got dumped because that performance, allegedly. Also, someone told me the song somehow encouraged rape? I haven't listened.

Anyway, as Annie Lennox put it, all of this stuff should be accessible to older people, not impressionable young people and not on prime time TV!

https://www.facebook.com/annielennox?fref=ts

22. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

well, i'm not an academic or particularly well read in feminism, but i can understand what they're both saying. have you tried reading their posts?

23. Cheesypoof

yeh, bit waffly like:p. I studied sociology myself ...no place for any of that on this thread.

24. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

They both looked pretty clean & MOR until last year when they suddenly turned into the same person...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oddly they both turned into Pink.

[​IMG]

25. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

why? surely the whole point of the thread is to discuss the issues raised by the events in question. hell, one of them is even agreeing with the thrust of your argument (if not all the shit about whoors & the like). this is a fairly delicate issue which requires - imo - a nuanced & thought out response. which is something your posts are missing, not theirs.

kabbes, Glitter, fogbat and 1 other person like this.
  26. cesare

I like Pink. There's far more to this than Wrecking Ball, for example:

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  27. Kid_Eternity

Pink is great, a brilliant example of how to be popular, sexy and yet manage to have talent and cover subject matter that has weight.

miss giggles and cesare like this.
  28. cesare

I used to love Annie Lennox too, right up until Diva. I just lost interest in her as a result of that self indulgent shite. She's quite similar to Madonna except that she can properly sing. I'm still wondering what's special about Miley Cyrus; she can hold a tune, conventially attractive but not startling, she doesn't really have much to say, daughter of famous dad so headstart - I'm not really getting what the big deal is and why SO or AL bothered saying anything at all. I don't have anything against her but it's a bit of a damp squib.

29. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

and I studied sociology, politics and women's studies. I've enjoyed reading this thread and I think Spangles and Agent Sparrow made good points. I've never heard of Miley Cyrus before this thread though, so whatever anyone thinks, at least she's got more publicity :)

30. Agent Sparrow

killer b and Shirl, cheers :) Cheesy can think what she likes about my posting style though, I've got far better things to do than bother responding :D

Glitter, treefrog and Shirl like this.