1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinead O'Connor's letter to Miley Cyrus

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Cheesypoof, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

2. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

It's really none of her business what Miley Cyrus gets up to so why she felt the need to write that letter and make it public I have no idea.

3. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

There was something quite shaming about it that made me feel uncomfortable...

trashpony, innit, keithy and 3 others like this.
  4. jakejb79

jakejb79 Laughing Cow

Publicity

shagnasty likes this.
  5. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Its pretentious bollocks. Miley is loaded anyway, her dads Billy Ray Cyrus so she don't give a shit, she has no talent to obscure & if she wants to be 'cool' by licking sledgehammers & being naked & all that, why not? :D

Onket and Frances Lengel like this.
  6. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Its not really a letter to Miley Cyrus is it? Its using Miley Cyrus to get her political point across. Which is a fair one, if some of the language is a bit discomforting. All this talk of prostituting left a rather sour taste.

7. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

So she used someone to warn that nasty people will use people. That sounds like Sinead logic all right.

xslavearcx, Dowie, revol68 and 2 others like this.
  8. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

yeah, it is a bit shit.

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

My open letter to Justin Bieber never got anywhere near this attention :(

Voley, Casually Red, girasol and 35 others like this.
  10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think the original letter was a bit patronising but had some good points. None of which have been developed in any useful way in the subsequent "debate".

ETA:

Miley tweets some nonsense and Sinead writes a 2nd letter http://www.factmag.com/2013/10/04/y...letter-to-miley-cyrus-threatens-legal-action/

Amanda Palmer gets in on the act http://www.factmag.com/2013/10/03/a...-to-sinead-oconnor-in-support-of-miley-cyrus/

Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/03/sinead-oconnor-miley-cyrus

Rutita1 likes this.
  11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

[​IMG]

12. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

It's a bit ironic that Sinnead ends by saying this: "Mockery causes deaths. Period. It is an unacceptable form of bullying, no matter who it is doing the bullying."

13. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

Starting with 'in the spirit of motherliness' is nauseating condescension. Brings to mind:

Perhaps she'd have made some valid points/got the same publicity (delete as applicable) without losing the moral high ground quite so rapidly if she'd hectored Robin Thicke instead?

14. Kizmet

Kizmet Well-Known Member

Has Robin Thicke shaved his head and ripped off her video then?

classicdish likes this.
  15. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

tbf this was 'in response' to some comments by cyrus citing her as a role model. but she could have made the same points without the patronising, and without the shaming, and still got the same publicity. it's erm a shame really.

muscovyduck and innit like this.
  16. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

Well quite. Which rather points to the suspicion that she's more concerned at having her high art, more-earnest-than-thou-ness appropriated by a little upstart in revealing clothing than she is at any implications for the upstart's self-respect and empowerment.

e2a: this was in response to Kizmet

17. Kizmet

Kizmet Well-Known Member

To be fair the woman has proved by her actions that she is more earnest than most.

Which makes the turning of those actions into fashion statements by someone who does not believe in them a pretty fair reason to be annoyed.

18. DRINK?

DRINK? bummed by karmachameleon

So Sinnead assumes that because Miley got naked, she is incapable of rational thought?

Very progressive....

sinneads second letter is crazy.....both dicks though Sinnead is deluded and given that she has dined out on one hit for the last 20 odd years don't think she is the best person to be giving out advise on longevity, fuck off back to pestering Jesus

19. DRINK?

DRINK? bummed by karmachameleon

20. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

On YouTube there's a video of O Connor ruining one of my favourite songs.

21. butchersapron

She assumed the exact opposite i believe.

22. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Someone needs to write her an open letter about this-

:mad:

23. Kizmet

Kizmet Well-Known Member

If I'm honest Miley Cyrus getting naked almost made me incapable of rational thought!

I quite like Miley, I thought she was pretty funny and talented when I watched Hannah Montana with my daughter. But you could quite easily guess the career trajectory she was destined for. I think that its a shame that a young womans path to fame is made so damn predictable. And, yes, she is turning into a dickhead. I think thats what that path does to a person.

Miss Caphat likes this.
  24. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

objectifying a woman on a thread about a furore about objectification of women? how post modern.

25. butchersapron

Here come the sleaze.

muscovyduck, tar1984 and tufty79 like this.
  26. Kizmet

Kizmet Well-Known Member

Oh do grow up.

27. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Clash of the generations, there. But despite the clear faults already identified in this thread, I still had sympathy for the original letter. The follow-up tweets were lollorifically ridiculous.

Motown_ben, girasol and Wookey like this.
  28. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I think it's fair enough that O'connor would want to reply, seeing as her image and whatnot had been used by Cyrus to say apparently the exact opposite of what O'connor has been saying her entire career. but, yes. it's not really about Cyrus's self respect and empowerment at all.

trashpony likes this.
  29. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

Sinead: "You're not going out dressed like that!"
    Miley: " Fuck off Mum you used to be a mental"

(Frankie Boyle :D)

30. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Boyle's a cunt, but you have to say that he's pretty much nailed it.