Sinead O'Connor

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by sojourner, Aug 22, 2009.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Interesting that she is equating race (skin colour) and faith. "white people" "if that's what non-muslims are called".

I know she has her daemons, and I wish her health, but those words, those concepts, from a person with her reach, are, to put it charitably, deeply unhelpful.

S☼I likes this.
  2. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Have a read of the background to that tweet...the absolute islamophobia she was subjected to when she announced she had converted to Islam.

For the love of God, please stop sharing Sinéad O'Connor's tweets about white people

3. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Context matters. See previous post. People targetted her for becoming muslim

4. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

5. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

You read the article?

6. butchersapron

All 150 words of it. Now to that question again

7. danny la rouge

Sure, but the response to that is “don’t be bigoted”, not “here’s some bigotry of my own”.

I like her. I empathise with her issues. I hope she finds peace and happiness. But these words were not skilful. It’s not helpful to excuse them, whatever they are a response to.

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  8. butchersapron

The above went into justifying the content, not just excusing it.

danny la rouge likes this.
  9. danny la rouge

The article does indeed try to justify.

And it’s worth saying that her words might well be an angry response to the shit she’s been showered with. And I also condemn that shit. Over the decades she’s been vilified personally, in misogynist ways, as well as anti-Muslim bigotry. Nobody deserves that. But that does not mean her words, their meaning, their effect, are acceptable.

10. butchersapron

No i meant lupa's post here

11. danny la rouge

Oh Jesus. Lupa , sorry, that’s nonsense. We all love Sinead here, but that’s not a good argument. Stick to having empathy for her issues, the abuse she’s showered with, and so on. But it’s possible to deplore both what she’s received as well as what she’s said. (And there’s no need to attempt equivalence or anything else).

12. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Might be a good idea to read back a bit further.

This was what I was responding to.

13. danny la rouge

So you responded to that with:

Who has more power, an unemployed white man in Ballymun, or someone like Rosalind Brewer?

The people with the power to fuck up the world are the captains of capital, whatever their gender, sexuality or colour.

S☼I likes this.
  14. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Obviously Joe Soap has no power.....at all. This doesn't stop some from being prejudicial or racist or islamophobes.

15. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Anyway
    Back to Sinead with Rainy Day In Soho.

16. butchersapron

That's already been posted on the thread.

17. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

K boss

18. butchersapron

It has though.

19. danny la rouge

So the description of the people who ‘fuck up the world’ that you used earlier was cast too wide. A better description would be “the ruling class”.

For example, the people the protestors in Hong Kong are opposing are not white men. Carrie Lam, the chief official, is neither white nor a man.

This is why class matters as an analysis of power. It is about structure.

20. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Are you asking me to delete it?