Sin Bins coming to non league football (step 7 and below)

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, Mar 14, 2019.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

What do we think?

Football Matters with The FA's Head of Judicial Services, Mark Ives: Sin bins could well be the way forward

2. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I think it'll be quite entertaining seeing non-league refs attempting to juggle the timings with multiple players in the sin bin along with everything else. :D

Voley and SpookyFrank like this.
  3. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Are we step 2? If so. Dont care.

4. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

What a shite idea.

gnar182 likes this.
  5. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

They are already in place at Step Seven, in certain leagues as a trial run. The plan is to introduce them furthest Step Five & Six..

6. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Member

Wouldn't argue with the need to try something new to cut down on arguing with officials (- I did see a player get a straight red card the other day for verbals at the referee, but it was allegedly impugning the ref's integrity).

The stats in the article seem to indicate it has had a positive effect so I can see why the experiment has been extended. The interview didn't say much about the practicalities for referees but I assume they were able to juggle the various watches!

I guess it has been used in games where the crowd consists of one person and their dog. Whether doing all this in front of a three figure crowd has an effect remains to be seen - might have been better to start gradually with only the county cups (although will it also therefore be used if a Step 4+ team is playing in that competition)?

It will be interesting to see how it goes!

7. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

The expression of a complete lack of respect for officialdom is what separates us from the egg-chasers. Fuck this.

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Welling will end up with half their team in the sin bin the first time a decision goes against them.

9. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Have been watching this in action in Peckham Town's division this year. It's a good idea in principle, but it is so complicated. Dissent is no longer a yellow card offence, as it's been replaced with the sin bin. So, you DON'T get sent off now for dissent when already booked. You get sent to the sin bin instead, and can return to pitch without a caution against your name. It would be so much easier if it was a double punishment for dissent, i.e. a booking AND ten-minutes in the sin bin.

There are a whole range of other scenarios as well - see below! It's also very difficult for refs to monitor time, injury time, sin-bin time and sometimes more than one sin-bin player who went off at a different time. This would be OK with a 4th official to assist, but at Step 7 you are lucky to have two linesman. And the linesman that do exist at Step 7 are officiating at that level for a reason... Refs often only seem to apply the sin bin in the second half, and let players get away with it in first half, which is not correct either.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  10. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

There could be a Sin Bin for unruly fans in the stand who are captured on DHFCTV!

baleboy_93 likes this.
  11. Dulwich Mishi

B. I.G. Would be fucked!

baleboy_93 likes this.
  12. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Really can't see what the problems are with this. I've refereed Rugby League in a park with no linesmen and it's easy enough to write down the time a player is due back and the coach will always remember when they are due back anyway!

Can't see the point of a double punishment for the same offence so the replacement of a yellow card with the sin bin is good enough.

In the games of RL I refereed, i would only send 2 players from the same side to the sin bin for dissent before warning the captain that anybody else would just be sent off, because clearly the sin bin wasn't a big enough deterrent.

EDC and Pink Panther like this.
  13. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

I played a high level of hockey, national league, and sin bins has always worked really well. What it does is hurt the offending team immediately and it makes you think twice before opening your mouth again. The management really hated players getting sin binned for a period of time as it could cost you the game. In hockey no-one appeals or speaks to the umpires you just get on with the game which means more actual time is spent playing the game rather than arguing the toss.

I was even sin binned for staring at an umpire after a dubious decision. All for it!!!

14. Dulwich Mishi

You were a rugby league referee? You kept that quiet...