1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Simple info on logo filetype

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Corax, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Corax

Corax Read my blog you bastards.

I think I'll use it as you've suggested RoyReed. I really like florensans - particularly the 't' which you don't like - but the more I look at it the more it looks like a label for a medicine bottle instead of a foodstuff.

2. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Desktop printers are pretty good quality these days, although they will get through a lot of yellow and magenta ink printing something like this.

And I don't remember saying anything about Florence Sans - although it's true I don't like it very much, especially the 't'.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I would suggest that you should go for more contrast too as it may prove hard to read for some.

Corax likes this.
  4. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I can't look at this thread without remembering how Bajan hot pepper sauce was banned from our family home, my dad (half Bajan, half English) would regularly try to smuggle it into our kitchen only for my mum (Jamaican) to throw it in the bin saying "I'm not having any 'Small Island' sauce in my cupboard" apparently only Encona Hot pepper sauce was allowed.. sigh.. the joys of having mixed island parenting...

Fez909 and BigTom like this.
  5. Corax

Just a small point of order btw - East Anglia has no emotional hooks for me. It's not my home, it's just where I've ended up living for a bit. I didn't grow up around here, and in all honesty it's my very least favourite region of the country. Fields and hedges, fields and fucking hedges. No woods, no hills, no rivers, and most of the urban areas are just barren. It's not even shit enough to be interesting, it's just fucking beige, as far as the eye can see. I fucking hate it.

It shouldn't really matter - but the depth of my loathing is such that I just couldn't let it lie.

So, with that behind me lol... I'm away for a week after tonight, which when I get back will give me a week to work out what I want my own logo to look like, and how to execute it well - which may not be doable. So in the meantime, I've done what editor kept telling me to do all along, and put some fucking writing next to a picture of a fucking chilli. I've nicked RoyReed's chilli, so thanks for that Roy. I've found a free font that's not entirely dissimilar to Chiller, and coloured the i's and j's as before.

[​IMG]

Ignore the label alignment, it's actually much more vertically centred than that.

It's by no means what I want as the finished article, but as a placeholder it's certainly better than my original Ten-year-old-let-loose-with-MS-Paint shield job, or my ill-fated cartographical visual pun.

I'm really grateful to all who have freely given their time to help me on here, no matter how much blunt force was required. Thanks peeps. :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    RoyReed, BigTom and moon like this.
  6. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards m©JiŢoËŞ for BŘe@ĸƑaƽƮ

I thought this was a comedy thread initially, then realised it was an elaborate ploy to find a free graphic designer :D

Some good info' in this thread. Also, some confusing stuff.

Your packaging is critical. Get it right, or stick to WI style, hand written labels. Any fuck-up will damage all chances you have (and you need almighty luck above all else to succeed). Your packaging is your sales person. It has to persuade potential customers why your sauce is worth the extra. I will explain the psychology behind the design you need another time. For now, just a few simple tips.

As has been said; resolution for print is 300 dpi. This has been the industry standard for decades. Stick with it from the start. If you are working with printers, provide TIFF and PDF files. If using an inkjet play as you see fit, but for the sake of good practice stick to 300 dpi output.

Other technical considerations should include the durability of the label. Will it wipe clean? Will the colours fade? etc etc.

On the design front; use only Two colours and only Two font sizes for the main body of the label. Red and green, or red and yellow are the obvious choices. This with the white of the paper is all you need. The small print needs to be legible, but not interfere with the main design. Forget the legal obligations for the moment. You also need to consider the properties of the packaging/bottle.

Ask yourself; why do you buy the sauces you buy? Which are the most popular and why?

I am in Porto - home of the World's finest Ports. I see no reason why not to borrow the design standards from established port houses and apply them to a bottle of chili sauce. Both could very easily be found head to head on the same dinner table for very many of the same self-indulgent reasons.

I'm not going to design a label. Just do some words.

Forget, the words 'hot', 'medium' and 'mild'. Just forget it. Instead use something like 'fire', 'suave' and 'taste'.

What do you have to sell that makes your sauce better than others?

(Make your own list here and put the qualities you like into order of importance).

The name? Anything goes here really. I'm going to use CORAX'S

As simple as this:

CORAX'S

100% all natural chili sauce
    TASTE

CORAX'S

FIRE

CORAX'S

SUAVE

That is all you need on the bottle label. Simple logo, or even an elaborate pattern of chilies as a background.

Start simple, and keep it simple.

I would however, also be very tempted to print a small label to hang over the bottle neck with a nice personal story.

Start from there, or stick to homespun, WI market stall, hand written labels.

7. Corax

Thanks for that :hmm:

I rather suspect their are skills that are more in my wheelhouse where I could legitimately find comedy potential in your efforts, were I so inclined.
    I really, really don't. I think you're overestimating the scale of my ambition. For now, I'm aiming to sell a few jars at some rural markets held in village church halls. The product is objectively excellent, and there will be free tasters on offer. 'Succeeding' at that level is not going to require almighty luck.

Whether I try to take it further is a question for another day. Who knows? There's simply no point in thinking about an ascent of Mount Everest when I've yet to manage the stairs without having to stop for a breather.
    Useful, thanks.
    Absolutely not.

As someone once said - know your audience.

Selling this in an urban food market, or even just in a rural market dahn saaf, this might be good advice. But in rural East Anglia that would just confuse the fuck out of a large number of potential customers. This is an area where a large proportion of the populace regard the use of coriander in food as 'exotic.'

8. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards m©JiŢoËŞ for BŘe@ĸƑaƽƮ

You are patronising your potential customers. You should be trying to entertain them instead. What makes you think people from Norfolk are in anyway different to people from Birmingham (e.g.)?

However, if you are confident enough to sell face to face, your packaging is irrelevant (as is the quality of your product). People who succeed in small markets get lucky when shop keepers pass by and ask to take 20, or so sample products to put on their shelves.

Know your audience? You need to ask yourself questions to answer honestly and confidently. If you don't believe in yourself and your product in a very honest way, you don't stand a chance of convincing even the most stupid of people.

None of this is relevant to your O.P. :)

Good luck, and enjoy the learning curve!

9. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

As an alternative view, I would find the use of "suave" and "taste" to describe "medium" and "mild" as so unnecessary and naff that I wouldn't buy the product on principle. It's all a bit mid-nineties.

ViolentPanda, Corax, editor and 2 others like this.
  10. Corax

Apt.

11. Corax

"Iceni Heat" sounded like an MLS franchise :D

So - In case anyone's in the least bit interested, my final effort looks like this:

[​IMG]

Which may not win any awards, but is definitely an improvement on...

[​IMG]

So again, thanks to all that commented and helped.

weltweit likes this.
  12. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Loath as i am, since you've said "final"... but the 3-d effect on the brand name isn't replicated on the product name - which is weird. It's more legible without, btw. The red to black gradient wouldn't be my choice, though.

editor and BigTom like this.
  13. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Yeah, I would get rid of the gradients. Solid black for embers, solid red for bajan pepper sauce

Otherwise, a fine label :)

editor and BigTom like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. Get rid of the gradient and you've got a perfectly workable label :)

15. Corax

It was too late for those final suggestions, sorry! Jars were all labelled up.

Sold over half my stock in two hours, at a very quiet and small market. Footfall probably didn't reach three figures.

That only amounted to twenty quid profit, but most encouraging is that almost everyone who tried it bought some, often with some really positive comments about both the *type* of heat - which is much more a smooth rounded glow than a tip of the tongue sharp heat - and the taste itself. It's definitely different to most of what you'll find on the shelf at Tescos. I'm doing this mainly for fun, and as a productive way to spend my time whilst out of work, so that was quite satisfying.

And... one person was a member of a regionally well-known family-run farming and retail business, who bought a couple of jars with the intention of getting the rest of the family to sample it - and possibly wanting to stock it in their farm shop. :cool:

Given that I'd decided that if I sold one jar, that would count as a success, I'm pretty happy that it was proof-of-concept at least. :)

weltweit and BigTom like this.
  16. Corax

Re the gradient - gotta say that I think it matches with the brand-name, no? And the brand-name hopefully reflects the type of heat - the rounded glow - that I mentioned above.

17. Corax

My stall in all its glory.

[​IMG]

moon likes this.
  18. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I want some!

Corax likes this.
  19. Corax

If the next couple of markets go well I might stick a Facebook page or something together and take orders! Like I said - this is primarily done for fun and a productive way of occupying myself - but if people like it I may as well go with it... Not allowing myself to have pipedreams of it being viable *proper* employment though :)